Poll: Bahrain Grand Prix 2020, Sakhir - Race 15/17

Rate the 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix out of 10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
En_9okDWMAQUxGs.jpg

Soldato
Seeing the car burning away in half knowing he was sat somewhere in it bought me very close to tears, he's a nice lad and has a young family. That was a huge crash and impact. Could very easily of been talking about a death right now.

Caporegime
It would likely bounce off like the Kubica crash, but ultimately, who knows and of course there should be absorbent material.

Good thing he was conscious and not trapped, no one was getting him out there.

There will never be absorbant material on a barrier on a straight the wrong side of the track.

Look all down pit straight on any track or barriers along hanger straight at Silverstone, none have tyres or tech pro or anything.

Hitting a concrete barrier head on will bounce off yes, but will result in a massive deceleration, as the concrete will not move, compared to the armco barrier moving and bending and absorbing deceleration.

Soldato
Folks, I just tuned in, I read a lot of comments saying the Halo saved him, and the Halo is in the barrier or something?
Any links to said pictures?

I feel really bad it has taken such an event to come and post back in this thread as I have really gone off F1.. but I am so happy to see Grosjean walking on his own two feet from that.
Drivers in the past have suffered worse for lesser crashes.

If it was Halo that saved him (which based on what everyone is saying, it has), then the guy who invented Halo should be given an award or something.

Soldato
Drones with little fire suppressant tanks for example - if they kept them in the air rotating round the circuit they could be on site in seconds - and seconds later more on site (swarm like). If they put a flame detector in the drone they could be close to or entirely automatic.
Any drone capable of carrying that kind of equipment could kill someone if it fell from the sky, so no.

Man of Honour
There will never be absorbant material on a barrier on a straight the wrong side of the track.

Look all down pit straight on any track or barriers along hanger straight at Silverstone, none have tyres or tech pro or anything.

Hitting a concrete barrier head on will bounce off yes, but will result in a massive deceleration, as the concrete will not move, compared to the armco barrier moving and bending and absorbing deceleration.

Except that the barriers there stick out - obviously to protect the Marshall post, but still, if there was any place for additional protection.

Soldato
That was from just 3 litres of fuel?! Jesus..
Reports coming through that the fuel cell is empty so much more than 3 litres afterall...

Indeed, barriers such as this are desigend for a 'glancing' impact and bouncing you back off (hence why they are used on a straight) having tyres stuck to them would literally suck as car in and probably spit/bounce it back out spinning into the middle of the track, imagine the aftermath of that.

Soldato
Folks, I just tuned in, I read a lot of comments saying the Halo saved him, and the Halo is in the barrier or something?

I feel really bad it has taken such an event to come and post back in this thread as I have really gone off F1.. but I am so happy to see Grosjean walking on his own two feet from that.

If it was Halo that saved him (which based on what everyone is saying, it has), then the guy who invented Halo should be given an award or something.

Soldato

Back
Top Bottom