People have lost the plot!! Or is it me?

Soldato
I get frustrated with racing games where content is locked until you reach a certain level. If I buy a driving game that offers 5,000 cars, I want to be able to chose from them. I'm not especially good at games so being forced to do the same thing over and over again to unlock content gets very boring very quickly.

If you game on PC try Mud Runner I think it’s actually free at the moment.

Soldato
I get frustrated with racing games where content is locked until you reach a certain level. If I buy a driving game that offers 5,000 cars, I want to be able to chose from them. I'm not especially good at games so being forced to do the same thing over and over again to unlock content gets very boring very quickly.

On the flip side, if they give away all the content from the beginning, then people get bored of the game quickly.

Progressive unlocks are a good way to make a game last longer, they just need a careful balance between giving it away too quickly versus taking a very long time - which likely means most won't bother.

Soldato
You're simply remembering old games with rose tinted glasses... I can't get into anything these days either but not because it's too complicated, I just seem to have very little interest.

I play basic shooters these days and some racing games.

Velorant
Csgo
Assetto Corsa.

Associate
OP
Battletoads! I'm struggling with the motorbike stage!!!!!

The Mrs asked me what I was getting annoyed about. "Battletoads" I said. She shook her head and walked out!!

Associate
OP
You're simply remembering old games with rose tinted glasses... I can't get into anything these days either but not because it's too complicated, I just seem to have very little interest.

I play basic shooters these days and some racing games.

Velorant
Csgo
Assetto Corsa.

There are many old games that should be avoided and left in fond memories.

RoboCop v Terminator definitely should be revisited. I smashed the life out of it before I sold my Megadive a few months ago!

Associate
Worst combos by far have to be fighting game "tutorials."

I'm actually still pretty good at fighting games, but I rarely ever successfully do any of the combo tutorials beyond a couple of combos.

Absolutely ridiculous combo tutorials in damn near all fighting games.

Things like: light Punch, hard kick, medium punch, light kick, hard kick, medium dragon punch x 2, hard fireball, x 3 then light punch, hard kick, medium punch, light kick, hard punch, light punch, hard kick

All in about 3 seconds according to Tekken7, Soul Calibur 6, DOA 6, all with completely ridiculous combos.

Soldato
Games got too complicated when they introduced more buttons to gamepads. It started with the six button pad on the Megadrive, which was needed for Streetfighter 2. Part of the appeal back then was that you could pick up a gamepad and start playing in a matter of seconds.

Soldato
Thanks for the recommendation, I was considering this. It's only £3 on Steam at the moment.

As for old games, I still play Quake 1. The mapping community is very active and there are some stunning third party creations out there.
Thats a bargain. Playing it on game pass myself. Great game so far especially on an hdr TV.

Associate
OP
Worst combos by far have to be fighting game "tutorials."

I'm actually still pretty good at fighting games, but I rarely ever successfully do any of the combo tutorials beyond a couple of combos.

Absolutely ridiculous combo tutorials in damn near all fighting games.

Things like: light Punch, hard kick, medium punch, light kick, hard kick, medium dragon punch x 2, hard fireball, x 3 then light punch, hard kick, medium punch, light kick, hard punch, light punch, hard kick

All in about 3 seconds according to Tekken7, Soul Calibur 6, DOA 6, all with completely ridiculous combos.

The combos we had to learn for quality endings in MK

Associate
Sort of agree OP, although slightly differently. I do find something lacking in modern games. Less progress? Less fun?
I mean, GTA5 was released 7 years ago! Think what 1993 games were like compared to those in 2000.

Associate
I think what doesn't help is each game having its own systems and controller layouts to figure out, or having to go through remapping everything if thats even an option. The number of times i punched my horse in RDR2 was crazy.

And locking away content because i am not good enough to progress is something unique to gaming. Don't get it with any other medium.

A film doesnt stop half way through and quiz you before it lets you finish it.

Back
Top Bottom