Mountain Biking

Soldato
That's another two delivery dates come and gone. Was supposed to be today, no joy. TNT turned up but my bike wasn't there. Got the bike shop to get onto CSG (owners of GT) and TNT to see exactly what's going on and am still waiting for them to phone back with any further details. This is getting to be beyond a ******* joke now.

Soldato
What bike have you ordered?

Generally once it's left CSG it's within a day or so, the dates are changing loads as my bike moved from the 7/11 to 12/11 to 17/11 but I can see it listed as dispactched on CSG so should see it by the weekend.

Associate
Another checking in not liking tubeless at all, first saw it about 7 years back a colleague with sealant that had popped on him on the way to work. Used to use slime innertubes and Schwalbe marathon puncture proof tyres myself instead for commuting, very heavy but almost no chance of getting a puncture.

Soldato
What bike have you ordered?

Generally once it's left CSG it's within a day or so, the dates are changing loads as my bike moved from the 7/11 to 12/11 to 17/11 but I can see it listed as dispactched on CSG so should see it by the weekend.

https://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr_en/avalanche-expert-3073 - large frame in black with 29" wheels.

Had a phonecall just before the shop shut saying that nobody had got back to them. They're shut tomorrow but the owner says he'll get onto them first thing in the morning from home and then give me a call when he knows something.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice bike! I'm sure it'll turn up soon,

I'm beginning to think otherwise. The shop is shut today, but had a text from the guy who runs the bike shop earlier saying that he'd been in contact with CSG this morning and they were unable to give him an answer as to where my bike currently is. Says that if there's nothing definite by tomorrow morning then they'd have to see about sorting out something different, which is not good as this is the bike I want. Was told by one of the other guys in the shop that when **** like this happens they try to source the next bike up, they take a slight loss but the customer gets a better bike. Thing is the 'Expert 'is the top of the line Avalanche, so there's nothing to bump up to.

Might be a bit cheeky though and ask them to knock a few quid off a GT Zaskar LT AL Expert or change the order to a Cube Reaction TM.

Soldato
Reaction TM are into January as it's a brand new frame. We're waiting on one at the moment.

All the GT bikes are shown sold out so I doubt they'll be able to just pull something out the hat. I ordered 10 Cannondale trail 7/8 and they were supposed to be March 2021 but they got moved a few months. More recently ordered some more and they were shown January but now moved to June. Higher end trail se are August :o

Soldato
Reaction TM are into January as it's a brand new frame. We're waiting on one at the moment.

Still no news on the GT, looks like it either wasn't shipped from the manufacturer, is hiding in warehouse on the dock after being left behind or fgell off the back of the wagon during transport.

So, look what I rode away on today :D:D:D

1CjHVAh.jpg

Soldato
Oh there is a reaction TM. I must speak to my rep the lying ****!

Apparently there is. :D And the sizing really threw me. That above is a small frame, yet rides and feels exactly the same as the large framed Reaction Pro I tried out before settling on this one. Consensus in the shop is that the addition of the dropper post adds the extra inches. Gotta say, it's a massive step up over the 2009 GT Avalanche I was using to get around.

Permabanned
Shame about the GT but that's a tidy looking bike that Cube @Malevolence :)

I ordered a Sonder Frontier on my Cycle to Work scheme two weeks back. It was approved today and been given a build date of 4/1/21 so something to look forward too in the new year.

It will come built as a front suspension bike but they also do a rigid fork which I've paid an extra £50 for so I can use it on some bikepacking trips next year too. Really want to see a lot of Scotland on it.

Soldato
Installed these tyres and didn't get the dramatic "pop" on either front or rear. Looks to be seated evenly all round on the rim and absolutely zero sealant escaping when up to 30psi (unlike the spares I installed earlier in the thread which were not really tubeless ready)

Soldato
6 months after ordering, I've had an email that my Whyte 905 V3 has arrived in the store. Just in time for my usual packing up MTB for 2 months as the trails round here are all swamped so I normally hit the road bike till February. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Curious if anyone here has used the Tannus tyre armour? I do a fair few rides every week on my MTB but this time of year I am getting several thousand punctures from brambles on the tracks and
am looking for something to prevent it.
The youtube videos I can find seem to rate it highly, but that's youtube and I trust it as much as Rishi :p

Back
Top Bottom