Transfer W10 to another PC

Soldato
Hello folks, I got W10 from the free upgrade way back when, when I had W7.

Heres the thing, can I use this license for a new rig and somehow disassociate the license/key with my old rig?

On another topic, how much would it set me back to get a new license for a rig I am building?

MS quotes £200 which is quite a bit. Some cdkey sites are offering it for less than a tenner, how can they do this?

Soldato
OP
Well I use my logon when it asks me to sign in when I first install windows 10 on my pc last time.
So do I just simply disassociate my license with my old PC and then repeat what I did for my last installation on my new PC?

Also how come some cd key type sites are only selling a license for like £9? Am I missing something here?
Especially compared to getting it direct from MS or other sites for a hundred or two.

Soldato
OP
But I dont have W7 anymore. Its just W10 which I put onto USB via the media creation tool.

I would be grateful if someone could clarify my previous post, cheers folks.

Soldato
Ah I see so your saying if I get W7 on the cheap?

(I thought that W7 -> W10 upgrade programe was time limited?)

You already have a w7 code do you not?

It was time limited but still seems to work if you do an upgrade install from w7 and for some codes even the w7 code from A pc will activate it :)

Last edited:
Associate
I just dont understand how some sites are offering W10 for cheap... e.g.
https://www.supplyr.co.uk/product/windows-10-professional-download-and-product-key/

Am I missing something?

MS will ban the key if it deems it to have been used too many times. You'll maybe get a few months out if it if you're lucky then have to get another key.

I had a key I used for benching, used it for a few installs, ended up not working one day. Phoned MS and they said it had been blacklisted due to the amount of installs. Told them I used it for benching so had done a few wipes / fresh installs, they told me the key had well over 100 installs and that was that....

Soldato
OP
You already have a w7 code do you not?

It was time limited but still seems to work if you do an upgrade install from w7 and for some codes even the w7 code from A pc will activate it :)

Yes I have a W7 code (somewhere!) but as I said I have already upgrade my W7 copy to W10. So surely that key is now dead or void?

MS will ban the key if it deems it to have been used too many times. You'll maybe get a few months out if it if you're lucky then have to get another key.

I had a key I used for benching, used it for a few installs, ended up not working one day. Phoned MS and they said it had been blacklisted due to the amount of installs. Told them I used it for benching so had done a few wipes / fresh installs, they told me the key had well over 100 installs and that was that....

Oh wow really? But I dont get it, surely once you register your key thats it, no one can use it? E.g. under your own username/linked to your Microsoft account?

Soldato
MS initially (years ago) said Win 7 to Win 10 was time limited but then quietly allowed it. Presumably after enough people had paid their money to MS. Win7 and Win8 keys work directly to activate Win 10. No need to go through earlier versions.

Soldato
Blimey.... do I need to unregister my original system somehow before I do this?
When you install, skip past the installation key prompt during install, finish your install then and then once installed go to Settings > Update and security > Activation > Change product key and enter the win 10/win 7 retail key you already own.

You might need to ring a robot to tell it you have that license installed on just one computer (literally a key button to confirm this and all its doing is unregistering the old configuration) and put in two really long confirmation codes they provide to register your transferred license on the new system, but it saves you the cash and faff of everything else.

Back
Top Bottom