• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

First, they blew up my PSU:3080 FTW3 Ultra (XOC BIOS tested) Power from the wall numbers

Soldato
Im really not sure thats how it works. Especially not to anything like that degree. Your PSU probably had a fault.

A few review sites have re-tested old PSU's and the voltage control etc is sometimes out of spec and some of the readings get a bit sloppy, but they can still chuck out most of the juice.

I think its plausible that the reliable output could have dropped to 800W after 8 or 9 years without a design flaw or unusual failure, 750W seems unlikely, 650W absolutely not.

I was going to say thats pretty old for a psu I don't think I've managed to keep one that long they always develop some fault or other before they reach that age.

Caporegime
I was going to say thats pretty old for a psu I don't think I've managed to keep one that long they always develop some fault or other before they reach that age.

Both of mine in daily use are 7 or 8 years old and run at high draw most or the time. The PSU in my old PC still works fine as well and is 16 years old.

I've never had a PSU failure.

Some PSU's come with a 10 year warranty.

I think that as long as you buy quality they should last a very long time unless there was a manufacturing defect.

A minority will fail, sure. But the ones that don't also don't miraculously lose 200W of output through usage and the passing of time.

Soldato
Its usually a matter of voltage being all over the place rather than outright failures that doesn't do components any good had motherboards damaged and lost a couple of hard drives before now. I prefer to replace them after 5-6 years these days if only for peace of mind.

Caporegime
5 - 6 years?!

Seems like a good way to waste money to me. :p

Not to mention the fact that you could replace a perfectly good PSU which has lasted 5 years with one which has a fault out of the box and lasts a month.

Thats what I do with cars. :p

Associate
Is the separate cable thing more for multi rail? I've been worried about my 30A GPU rail on my 650w PSU but then if I have one cable coming from each 30A rail that would probably give the GPU enough room for transients. Any downsides to doing this?
I believe so. I'm open to correction on this, but 30A on a 12v rail would support a max power draw of 360W, not all of which can be shoved down a single cable, so it sounds like you are doing the right thing. Some other useful numbers: a daisy chain PCI-E provides 288W, a dedicated one does 150W and the PCI-E slot does 75W.

Associate
I believe so. I'm open to correction on this, but 30A on a 12v rail would support a max power draw of 360W, not all of which can be shoved down a single cable, so it sounds like you are doing the right thing. Some other useful numbers: a daisy chain PCI-E provides 288W, a dedicated one does 150W and the PCI-E slot does 75W.

Yeah those are the same calculations I came up with. I've run that idea by the customer support from my manufacturer so hopefully they'll agree. Previously they said no and advised to get an 850 version with a 40A rail

Soldato
5 - 6 years?!

Seems like a good way to waste money to me. :p

Not to mention the fact that you could replace a perfectly good PSU which has lasted 5 years with one which has a fault out of the box and lasts a month.

Thats what I do with cars. :p

Compared with the cost of everything else they're cheap lol. Its easily the cheapest component other than the case.

Soldato
OP
PSUs aren't expensive I agree. You don't have to pay crazy money for a decent one, though it seems right now, you might have to out of poor stock choice.

Update, running RDR2 again with the XOC BIOS I got 763W from the wall, so nipping on 700W actual system useage.

Soldato
From seasonic: in our testing labs we have observed the rtx3080/3090 create transient loads of up to 550w.

that's why you can have issues on a 850w psu if your cpu is also pulling a decent amount, your 3080/3080 might 99.9% of the time run under 350w but it's the 0.1% of the time which you don't see where it can for a split second push to 550w and this at stock!

Associate
Bitfenix recommended me the same as EVGA, use one cable per 8pin rather than splitting. Also in my specific case with a multi rail GPU they agreed with my suggestion to use one cable from VGA1 and one from VGA2 which makes sense as it essentially ups the current limit from 30A to 30x2

Associate
From seasonic: in our testing labs we have observed the rtx3080/3090 create transient loads of up to 550w.

that's why you can have issues on a 850w psu if your cpu is also pulling a decent amount, your 3080/3080 might 99.9% of the time run under 350w but it's the 0.1% of the time which you don't see where it can for a split second push to 550w and this at stock!

Got a source for that info? Coz when I google the above I just get reddit.

Soldato
OP
I've got an HX850 replacement from Corsair. It's got a switch for single or multi rail. Honestly I was just going to bung it in single rail mode.

What's cool is there are three Pig tail PCI-E cables that can plug into the PSU separately. Thing is a beast too think, it's 18cm long or something.

Associate

Ergh hope I'm fine, just ordered a gigabyte gaming oc 3080. I'm running a 850w thermaltake. I've done some of the online calculators and they reckon I need 1000w+ so now wondering if I'll be okay.

Soldato
You all got me worried now. I have a Corsair RM850x (18 months old and never used near the limit) and I'm planning to swap my 5600x for a 5900x, I'm guessing I'm all good?
The 5900x would only be PBO, oc ram as far as I can go and only oc the 3080 to afterburner limits.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Ergh hope I'm fine, just ordered a gigabyte gaming oc 3080. I'm running a 850w thermaltake. I've done some of the online calculators and they reckon I need 1000w+ so now wondering if I'll be okay.

Lol they exaggerate a bit mate. I was pulling stock from the wall 580w full load, cant account for mega micro spikes but at least its on a wall meter so fairly accurate over software. I undervolt and it runs just over 100w less, just drop your voltage a wee bit in AB.

Associate
Lol they exaggerate a bit mate. I was pulling stock from the wall 580w full load, cant account for mega micro spikes but at least its on a wall meter so fairly accurate over software. I undervolt and it runs just over 100w less, just drop your voltage a wee bit in AB.
True but it was quite an over the top prediction. I did once stick 3 amd 7970's on something not rated for that and it didnt explode. Ill stick the gpu and go for it. Kinda just filling time till it arrives still cant believe ive actually ordered one.

Back
Top Bottom