Dogs off a leash in parks

Associate
It seems like every time I'm walking through a park with my kids that someone's dog will bound towards them being overly friendly. I know the dogs aren't being aggressive but it scares my 4 and 2 year old when the dog jumps up and puts it's paws on them or tries and steals some food they might be eating.

Often were just on our own, minding our own business away from other people.

I now feel like dog owners shouldn't come near young children if their dog is off a lead, as I'm fed up of it happening and I don't want my kids to be scared of dogs.

Soldato
My 2 year old isn’t scared of dogs but we’ve had plenty of occasions on the seafront where a dog off the lead will walk up to her as we are minding our own business and the owner will run over and say oh don’t touch it, it’s not very friendly. I pick her up as quickly as I can just in case it decides to turn on her.

Surely that’s being an irresponsible owner?

Soldato
Dog owners have turned the UK into one scruffy big toilet. Every grass verge or bit of cut on estate is just somewhere for a dog to have a crap.

I genuinely think there should be a test, licence, home inspection and proper policing of dog ownership. No one on an estate should own an alsatian, and if the only time it goes out is to **** on the street, it must be a miserable existence.

Soldato
Check local by-laws as to whether they're supposed to be kept on leads or not.

My youngest was always nervous of dogs: I usually found shouting "down" at the mutt and looking like I was prepared to be physically violent did the trick.

Most owners are responsible and most dogs are just being overly excited or friendly but as with all things, its the 2 or 3 percent that aren't that you remember.

Soldato
Dogs MUST be under control at all times. Be it on a leash or not. If the owner cannot recall their dog when its bounding towards kids they need telling!!

Owner of 2 dogs

Associate
OP
Dogs MUST be under control at all times. Be it on a leash or not. If the owner cannot recall their dog when its bounding towards kids they need telling!!

Owner of 2 dogs
We told today's owner that they need to keep control of their dog and not come near kids. They were friendly enough but said it was only a couple of months old and needed to learn... My son had a small scratch on his face. Again the dog wasn't actually being aggressive but for a small child a dog jumping on you is a big deal.

From now on I need to more proactively keep unleashed dogs away from kids, even if it upsets owners.

Last edited:
Soldato
An ex of mine was attacked by a dog, a Jack Russell, that was off it's lead in a park. We were sitting enjoying a picnic when this thing came barrelling across the park from out of nowhere and latched itself onto her calf. **** knows why it singled her out, it ignored loads of other people and just made a beeline straight for her. It didn't let go until I'd given it quite a number of good kicks and stamps. Her leg was a right ******* mess, and yet all the dog's owner seemed bothered about was the state of her dog.

Soldato
It really is pathetic in this country that people can't enjoy the park or the beach etc, without these beasts running amok. The owners should have their faces rubbed in dog muck.

Soldato
Responsible owner of two dogs here (Border Collie and a young Cocker Spaniel). We always pick up after them and deposit in proper bins.

We always have the dogs on a lead, except when in a huge open area out in the countryside where we can see any dangers coming a mile away.

Don't tar us all with the same brush.

Soldato
A couple were having a picnic when this large dog came up and wouldn't get it's nose out of their hamper, dog was with its owner and a group of runners, all they did was say 'come on' and laugh about it between themselves
whilst this couple were attempting to save their food .

As long as the owners laugh and go 'who's a good boy/girl ' then even if they maul you it's alright.

I've also seen a full blown punching fight when one owners dog off the lead attacked the other dog on the lead...

Most owners thinks no one minds getting mud on them and that their dog is soooo good that it will head any call.

I tell them all to get them on a leash when they inevitably jump up to you, results in some harsh words from the owners! ( How nasty are you it's just happy to see you blah blah)

Soldato
My guys are great, they come back in an instant when called. Only ever have them off in wide open space with good visibility though, more for their own protection of other dogs that might be reactive, badly trained or protective of their "pack".
I love picking up warm dog poo in the cold weather then swing the bag around all the way home.

Still, people love to moan about the minority.

Soldato
It really is pathetic in this country that people can't enjoy the park or the beach etc, without these beasts running amok. The owners should have their faces rubbed in dog muck.

It really is pathetic in this country that dogs can't enjoy the park or the beach etc, without these kids running amok. The kid's and/or parents should have their faces rubbed in dog muck.

Being slightly more serious, I know there are soooo many owners out there that don't take training their dogs properly but I think when you are at a park you have to expect there will be dogs, they will be off lead and some of them will be overly friendly. Obviously jumping up is a bit or a no no. But if it's because kids are walking around with food at a low eye level then as a parent you should be a little wiser with the situation.

I think you have to have a bit of an expectation that at parks there will be off lead dogs that may not always be perfectly behaved so have your wits about you. Parks are one of the few places where dogs can have a bit of proper freedom. You have to expect the odd dog encounter.

Soldato
It seems like every time I'm walking through a park with my kids that someone's dog will bound towards them being overly friendly. I know the dogs aren't being aggressive but it scares my 4 and 2 year old when the dog jumps up and puts it's paws on them or tries and steals some food they might be eating.

Often were just on our own, minding our own business away from other people.

I now feel like dog owners shouldn't come near young children if their dog is off a lead, as I'm fed up of it happening and I don't want my kids to be scared of dogs.

Yeah I remember being rather scared of dogs when very young especially when a dog is taller/heavier than you and can certainly run a lot faster and parks where a prime encounter site.

Parks in general though are dog exercise yards/toilets if you're walking your dog its great but for everyone else its probably somewhere you want to avoid unless you want to step in something/have someones dog in your face/lunchbox.

But this is likely to be a contentious issue and dog owners won't hold back about how dare you criticize etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I own a dog, and she's not perfect by any means, she wouldn't harm anyone but I know that, others don't and anyway they may just not like dogs. I keep her away from everyone unless they go out of their way to pat her or something.
I have seen dog owners that infuriate me though I won't say what I think of them, I have found that if you speak to them about it you just get a load of abuse back.
I also hate seeing dog mess , just pick it up for gods sake.

But then I get frustrated by anyone who breaks any rules or behaves selfishly. I have to just walk away tbh.

Soldato
It really is pathetic in this country that dogs can't enjoy the park or the beach etc, without these kids running amok. The kid's and/or parents should have their faces rubbed in dog muck.

Being slightly more serious, I know there are soooo many owners out there that don't take training their dogs properly but I think when you are at a park you have to expect there will be dogs, they will be off lead and some of them will be overly friendly. Obviously jumping up is a bit or a no no. But if it's because kids are walking around with food at a low eye level then as a parent you should be a little wiser with the situation.

I think you have to have a bit of an expectation that at parks there will be off lead dogs that may not always be perfectly behaved so have your wits about you. Parks are one of the few places where dogs can have a bit of proper freedom. You have to expect the odd dog encounter.

No.

Associate
OP

Fine, dog owners can learn to expect me kicking their dog if it comes anywhere near me.

As I said, we keep to ourselves so don't walk your chavy dog towards young kids who are also enjoying the open space.

Back
Top Bottom