Gen 4? Gen 3?

Soldato
Folks Im putting together a build and the MSI Ace Z490 mobo I will be using has 3 M.2 slots.
Presumably these support Gen 4?

But I guess these are out of stock with OCUK for anything above 1TB?

My idea was to populated 1 X 250GB or 500GB (for OS) and 2 X 2TB for games.

(I still have my main HDD which I would like to still keep for general storage of photos and documents - I guess its best to keep it on HDD then move to an SSD due to lifetime of the SSD?)

Thanks folks.

Associate
You mean cheaper.

The WD Blue is SATA whilst the other 2 more expensive are NVMe.

Compare the speeds. That WD is way slower.

Soldato
OP
Makes sense, thanks COY5 (yes you are right I meant cheaper not expensive).

Think Im going to opt for the SN750 WD 2TB... £289 is around the rate these are going for at this spec?

Associate
£289 is a lot for Gen 3.

That SX8200 one I linked to is way better value at £190. I have it as my games drive.

Also cheaper that the WD is the Sabrent Rocket Gen3 2TB at around £240.

Soldato
OP
Ok cheers COYS. I did see the XPG at the Yorkshire based site, but honestly speaking I would not touch them with a barge pole due to a very sour experience with them on a return in the past, promised never again.
I can see its £230 on rainforest.... Ill consider it....
Incidentally, is it really true that PCIe 4.0 is going to be the way to go really and that games will take full advantage of it and people with PCIe are going to be left in lumber?

Soldato
Ok cheers COYS. I did see the XPG at the Yorkshire based site, but honestly speaking I would not touch them with a barge pole due to a very sour experience with them on a return in the past, promised never again.
I can see its £230 on rainforest.... Ill consider it....
Incidentally, is it really true that PCIe 4.0 is going to be the way to go really and that games will take full advantage of it and people with PCIe are going to be left in lumber?
I keep looking at that one myself the 2tb wd

Soldato
Stupid thing not to have checked. I assumed PCIe 4.0 = Gen4.
My bad. Apologies.
Looks like Gen 3 for me.
You can still use a gen 4.0 SSD in a gen 3.0 board but it will restrict the speed although if in the future you upgrade to a rocket lake CPU then it might run at gen 4.0

Soldato
OP
Ive always wondered if people use these drives for storage of important photos/documents etc? Surely with the TBW limitation these will one day conk out and better to have them on more reliable medium?

Soldato
Ive always wondered if people use these drives for storage of important photos/documents etc? Surely with the TBW limitation these will one day conk out and better to have them on more reliable medium?
All my stuff is backed up on 2 external drives so have 3 copies of important pics and documents

Soldato

SSDs tend to be obsolete before the TBW figure is reached unless you are doing enterprise level stuff, if you are you should know better! Any and all media is susceptible to failure, even RAID arrays, so backups of anything important is mandatory IMO. OneDrive and Google drive, etc are convenient, just know they are crawling over every piece of information and even scanning pictures for anything they can add to your advertising profile...

A bit annoyed with myself that I went with a 1TB NVMe as I only have 190GB space left and have had to swap games about to my SATA SSDs and hard drives and games aren't getting any smaller

Back
Top Bottom