Dogs off a leash in parks

Soldato
It seems like every time I'm walking through a park with my dog on its lead that someone's kid will bound towards them being overly friendly. I know the kids aren't being aggressive but it scares my 1 year old when the kid screams, waves it's arms around and tries to pet him.

Often were just on our own, minding our own business away from other people.

I now feel like parents shouldn't let their children run up to unfamiliar dogs if their dog is on a lead, as I'm fed up of it happening and I don't want my dog to be scared of kids.

Soldato
I think you have to have a bit of an expectation that at parks there will be off lead dogs that may not always be perfectly behaved so have your wits about you. Parks are one of the few places where dogs can have a bit of proper freedom. You have to expect the odd dog encounter.

That's fine, as long as you have the expectation that a dog that looks like it's going for a kid is liable to get it's head stomped on. You may know that your dog is harmless and friendly, but that kid's parents don't. Whilst i'm dead against animal cruelty, if it's a choice between my kid or the dog, the dog is going down every time.

It seems like every time I'm walking through a park with my dog on its lead that someone's kid will bound towards them being overly friendly. I know the kids aren't being aggressive but it scares my 1 year old when the kid screams, waves it's arms around and tries to pet him.

Often were just on our own, minding our own business away from other people.

I now feel like parents shouldn't let their children run up to unfamiliar dogs if their dog is on a lead, as I'm fed up of it happening and I don't want my dog to be scared of kids.

And what exactly are the chances of a dog getting mauled/killed/permanently disfigured by a young child? :rolleyes:

Caporegime
It really is pathetic in this country that people can't enjoy the park or the beach etc, without these beasts running amok. The owners should have their faces rubbed in dog muck.

That's not a popular opinion within the UK.

Personally I don't think anyone should be keeping animals as pets unless they have the space and natural habitat for them to be free. Therefore no need to take them for walks, etc.

Dogs are derived from wolves iirc. Also you cannot trust any dog it depends entirely on what their upbringing has been but yeah some breeds need a lot more care and attention as well as early social interaction to stop them from being territorial and aggressive to others.

However the UK loves dogs and keeping them as pets. You take a risk if you say anything bad about them.

I've found dog poo in my front garden a couple of times over the past 4 years. They also love to pee on the tree, lamp post and grass a lot.

However if I was to walk onto their property and urinate everywhere I'd be arrested. If they think it's okay then why aren't they telling their dog to pee in their own gardens?

Dog owners tend to not really care about others people's views or opinions. Like I've even seen people who decide to randomly visit someone else's home and bring their dog with them.

I don't own a dog because I don't want dirty stinking carpets and marks and hair everywhere. So why do you think it's okay to bring your dog with you?

Soldato
And what exactly are the chances of a dog getting mauled/killed/permanently disfigured by a young child? :rolleyes:
Calm down it's was a bit tongue in cheek..

However, the child is just as likely to get scratched or bitten as the op situation. Respect goes both ways with dogs in public

Soldato

Personally I don't think anyone should be keeping animals as pets unless they have the space and natural habitat for them to be free. Therefore no need to take them for walks, etc.

Dogs are derived from wolves iirc. Also you cannot trust any dog it depends entirely on what their upbringing has been but yeah some breeds need a lot more care and attention as well as early social interaction to stop them from being territorial and aggressive to others.

However the UK loves dogs and keeping them as pets. You take a risk if you say anything bad about them.

I've found dog poo in my front garden a couple of times over the past 4 years. They also love to pee on the tree, lamp post and grass a lot.

However if I was to walk onto their property and urinate everywhere I'd be arrested. If they think it's okay then why aren't they telling their dog to pee in their own gardens?

Dog owners tend to not really care about others people's views or opinions. Like I've even seen people who decide to randomly visit someone else's home and bring their dog with them.

I don't own a dog because I don't want dirty stinking carpets and marks and hair everywhere. So why do you think it's okay to bring your dog with you?

I agree, I loved it when I went on holiday on the Isle of Man, they had signs up banning dogs from the beaches etc, It was lovely.

Associate
We have a border collie, we pick up all her mess and she follows every command we give her so are fine letting off the leash in an open space as I always know she will stop and come back if I shout her.

We are extra careful when there are children around, as we know she doesn't like them that much (her breed doesn't generally) but most of the time she sticks with us and doesn't go near them. We have on occasion had problems with idiot kids running up to her, out of nowhere and bothering her, even sometimes hitting her. Parents should take more responsibility for their kids when not on a leash too.

Soldato

Well said.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Fine, dog owners can learn to expect me kicking their dog if it comes anywhere near me.

As I said, we keep to ourselves so don't walk your chavy dog towards young kids who are also enjoying the open space.

That's generally my go to response if a strange dog jumps up at my kids - kick to the face soon sees it scurrying off. No problem if it comes running up then stops and keeps it's distance (i.e. it's been properly trained). If so and the owner is near I'll then check with them if the kids are ok to pet the dog. But jumping up is a big no-no as far as I'm concerned.

I'm assuming we can backhand your kids then if they're annoying, whiney or ginger?

If it looks like my kids are about to bite you, then fine :) Generally kids don't jump up at random strangers with muddy hands though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
You seem blinded by loyalty to dogs.

My response was because of your suggestion that people cause these situations to happen. Essentially saying the dog owner isn't at fault.

You said you are walking around and your kids have food in their hands, do you really think a dog is not going to go investigate that especially at eye level? How do you think most people train dogs. With food as the incentive. Use some common sense if you wish to share the park with dog owners perhaps?

Caporegime
Fine, dog owners can learn to expect me kicking their dog if it comes anywhere near me.

As I said, we keep to ourselves so don't walk your chavy dog towards young kids who are also enjoying the open space.

Tell us how you really feel. Your kids will think you're a great dad when they see you booting a dog because it got too close.

Some absolute wronguns on here, the ones talking about stomping on a dog. More likely the types who couldn't hurt a fly.

Back
Top Bottom