What desktop speakers are you using?

Soldato
There appears to be no change in hiss if I adjust the MOTU volume knob.

I think the hiss got a little quieter when I adjusted the input sensitivity on the Genelec to +6dB, as that lowered the volume overall.

Do you have dirty mains in the house? Have you tried a mains conditioner?

Soldato
As far as I'm aware, this is very much an overrated thing. Electronics, especially of this calibre, have mains conditioning as it is - the power transformers in them.

It may simply be that I'm just particularly sensitive to speaker hiss.

Your correct the filtering on higher end gear is very good, i've still had some noise from powerline adapters that a mains conditioner removed.

Soldato
Your correct the filtering on higher end gear is very good, i've still had some noise from powerline adapters that a mains conditioner removed.

On your Genelecs themselves? My main issue is that any cheap off the shelf power conditioner will probably do more harm than good, and I don't have anything expensive. You're not using one of those 'conditioner' extension cords are you?

I don't use stuff like powerline adapters though which is a great way to dirty up the mains though.

Soldato
On your Genelecs themselves? My main issue is that any cheap off the shelf power conditioner will probably do more harm than good, and I don't have anything expensive. You're not using one of those 'conditioner' extension cords are you?

I don't use stuff like powerline adapters though which is a great way to dirty up the mains though.

Don't own any Genelecs. Yes have Tacima mains conditioner strips, I have 5 of them in my house, on audio they bring out more detail and bottom end is more rounded. I use one for a triple monitor setup, and my Draytek Vigor is connected via one. There the one in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtb88_hbCFQ

I don't like power line adapters either, but I live in a fairly large house that would require a lot of work to wire ethernet into, one day plan on doing however.

Last edited:
Associate
I was about to buy the Edifier 1700BT but realised it doesn't have a headphone jack, anything similar to them that cost the same or less?

Soldato
The problem I find with the KEF LS50 Wireless is the asking price is a bit of a joke considering you can get pro gear that absolutely stomps these things that at kind of price.

The only real advantage the KEF still has is the WAF.

Associate
guys looking for a nice pair of desktop speakers ..i mostly listen to music and watch you tube ...i have a budget of £250 what do you guys recommend..i use a creative T40 right now

Associate
guys looking for a nice pair of desktop speakers ..i mostly listen to music and watch you tube ...i have a budget of £250 what do you guys recommend..i use a creative T40 right now

Kali LP-6 would be my pick, Adam T5V is good also, both slightly over budget though. JBL LSR305P MKII is also fine, slightly under your budget but the other two are worth the little extra.

There isn't any passive bookshelf + amp combo that can come even remotely close to studio monitors in the sub £500 range for sound quality IMO. The only issue with budget studio monitors is that their amps can have a slight hiss, which you may or may not be able to hear from a few feet away

Soldato
Just my 2p on studio monitors verses hi-fi speakers.

For my home office / workstation computer I have a choice of 2 setups.

1) I have some Prodipe Pro V3 studio monitors. For comparison despite the price the Prodipes sell they are vastly superior to say a £200 Edifier 2.0 setup. The Prodipes are entry level professional monitors, where as Edifier gear is consumer level. I mention this to give an idea on the quality of the Prodipes.

2) Some Yamaha Piano craft speakers, and a sub providing gentle fill in of frequencies below 45Hz. Again better quality than say a £200 Edifier speakers, Yamaha's have better cabinet construction, softer sounding tweeters. Again I mention only so you know where Yamaha Piano Craft speakers stand in comparison.

Now the Prodipe speakers are better then the Yamaha HiFi speakers, also the amp(s) inside the Prodipe are better then the amps i'm using on my Yamaha + Sub setup. Of the 2 setups, I choose the Yamaha setup!

So why do I choose the setup that I have just said is less quality? It's because the Yamaha+Sub is more relaxing than the studio monitors, certainly more musical. I'm a software developer and for easy listening it's the least intrusive setup, so when i'm programming I want to hear music, but I don't want to be analysing how the mix of a track is (that the Prodipes do), where as the Yamaha's are still good quality to enjoy, yet my mind is not focusing on them.

The studio monitors as mentioned are better, but there to prominent and distracting. If I was doing studio work (mixing) I would use the studio monitors, however for software programming / you tube / general music listening, I choose the Yamaha + Sub setup. With the Prodipe if I'm listing to a YouTube channel with poor quality audio, the Prodipes really emphasise this, again for general listening you may not want this.

Incidentally source for either setup is an Asus Essence ST, and I pay for a Amazon Music HD subscription.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just my 2p on studio monitors verses hi-fi speakers.

For my home office / workstation computer I have a choice of 2 setups.

1) I have some Prodipe Pro V3 studio monitors. For comparison despite the price the Prodipes sell they are vastly superior to say a £200 Edifier 2.0 setup. The Prodipes are entry level professional monitors, where as Edifier gear is consumer level. I mention this to give an idea on the quality of the Prodipes.

2) Some Yamaha Piano craft speakers, and a sub providing gentle fill in of frequencies below 45Hz. Again better quality than say a £200 Edifier speakers, Yamaha's have better cabinet construction, softer sounding tweeters. Again I mention only so you know where Yamaha Piano Craft speakers stand in comparison.

Now the Prodipe speakers are better then the Yamaha HiFi speakers, also the amp(s) inside the Prodipe are better then the amps i'm using on my Yamaha + Sub setup. Of the 2 setups, I choose the Yamaha setup!

So why do I choose the setup that I have just said is less quality? It's because the Yamaha+Sub is more relaxing than the studio monitors, certainly more musical. I'm a software developer and for easy listening it's the least intrusive setup, so when i'm programming I want to hear music, but I don't want to be analysing how the mix of a track is (that the Prodipes do), where as the Yamaha's are still good quality to enjoy, yet my mind is not focusing on them.

The studio monitors as mentioned are better, but there to prominent and distracting. If I was doing studio work (mixing) I would use the studio monitors, however for software programming / you tube / general music listening, I choose the Yamaha + Sub setup. With the Prodipe if I'm listing to a YouTube channel with poor quality audio, the Prodipes really emphasise this, again for general listening you may not want this.

Incidentally source for either setup is an Asus Essence ST, and I pay for a Amazon Music HD subscription.

Dunno if the Prodipe speakers do this but one of the things that leads to a relaxing and 'smooth' response for a speaker is a rolling treble in-room response (Focal's secret house sound sauce). You could emulate this by applying a treble tilt which should take some edge off them if possible.

The great thing about quality studio speakers is that you can EQ them direct from the speaker.

Back
Top Bottom