Dogs off a leash in parks

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Dog owners tend to not really care about others people's views or opinions. Like I've even seen people who decide to randomly visit someone else's home and bring their dog with them.

I don't own a dog because I don't want dirty stinking carpets and marks and hair everywhere. So why do you think it's okay to bring your dog with you?

Eh? Surely you'd just ask them to tie the dog/leash up outside? Why would anyone let someone's else's dog inside their house unless they were ok with that?

Then again, I've just read your post on cows milk, so...........

Associate
OP
Tell us how you really feel. Your kids will think you're a great dad when they see you booting a dog because it got too close.

Some absolute wronguns on here, talking about stomping on dogs. More likely the types who couldn't hurt a fly.

Stop projecting and read what I actually wrote....

Caporegime
Stop projecting and read what I actually wrote....

The only one projecting is you, you've gone from a fairly reasonable complaint, to saying owners can expect their dog to get kicked if it gets within a certain distance. Then all of a sudden, it must be a chav dog and they aren't even allowed to walk in your direction :D

Last edited:
Soldato
That's generally my go to response if a strange dog jumps up at my kids - kick to the face soon sees it scurrying off. No problem if it comes running up then stops and keeps it's distance. If the owner is near I'll then check with them if the kids are ok to pet the dog. But jumping up is a big no-no as far as I'm concerned.

If it looks like my kids are about to bite you, then fine :) Generally kids don't jump up at random strangers with muddy hands though.

This is an 'educator', in case anyone is unaware.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

This is an 'educator', in case anyone is unaware.

And? Are we not allowed to protect our children against untrained, potentially dangerous dogs?

As someone who has suffered a nasty bite from a dog (which later got put down) in a public space, I'll continue to keep untrained, potentially dangerous dogs away from my kids thanks.

Caporegime
Tell us how you really feel. Your kids will think you're a great dad when they see you booting a dog because it got too close.

Some absolute wronguns on here, talking about stomping on dogs. More likely the types who couldn't hurt a fly.

Yeah I'm amazed at some of the comments about kicking dogs. Fair enough if it's attacking you or a family member but owners should have them on leashes at all times imo.

I've been walking to the train station going on a night out and a dog has ran up and pawed my jeans to death.

To the point I've then had to go home and change.

I've never had that issue with someone's kids.

Eh? Surely you'd just ask them to tie the dog/leash up outside? Why would anyone let someone's else's dog inside their house unless they were ok with that?

Then again, I've just read your post on cows milk, so...........

Wasn't my home if it was if say that the dog can't come in but I've seen it happen at others and as soon as they leave they complain about the dog. Seen it happen at a BBQ someone was having and then at another person's home where they didn't say anything because it was a family member. However if they had a choice they would have preferred it never came in.

Some people are too polite to say anything.

Soldato
Genuine question to dog owners who say something to the effect of "my dog wouldnt hurt anyone" or similar.

Again, genuine question (in the context of when dogs running around a park unleashed for example and come up to someone, be it a kid or adult)....

How do you know they will 100% not hurt or harm them?

Again Im not trying to troll here. I know many friends who are dog owners who have made such comments in the past, but as someone said earlier, I am one of those people who feel that if I say or ask anything that remotely seems "anti-dog" I would black-listed so to speak!

Cheers folks.

Man of Honour
Dogs MUST be under control at all times. Be it on a leash or not. If the owner cannot recall their dog when its bounding towards kids they need telling!!

Owner of 2 dogs
As a previous owner of dogs I agree with you. Nothing wrong with dogs being off a lead in a park as long as they are under control. If they can't be controlled verbally then they must be on a lead.

Caporegime
Genuine question to dog owners who say something to the effect of "my dog wouldnt hurt anyone" or similar.

Again, genuine question (in the context of when dogs running around a park unleashed for example and come up to someone, be it a kid or adult)....

Again Im not trying to troll here. I know many friends who are dog owners who have made such comments in the past, but as someone said earlier, I am one of those people who feel that if I say or ask anything that remotely seems "anti-dog" I would black-listed so to speak!

Cheers folks.

I think most on here are responsible owners tbh

However I have ran into irresponsible owners and had to report a guy who was breeding aggressive rottweilers. Who were attacking people as well as destroying property, etc.

That's the issue though there is zero way to differentiate between a bad dog and one that's been properly trained and cared for and socially integrated until it's too late.

Man of Honour

Cheers folks.
When I was younger my family had many dogs. Our last two were soppy Alsatians. You could do what you wanted to them and they would just get up and walk away. Never angry. Like any animal they are very protective of their territory and their pack (the family). As a teenager I felt completely safe walking them alone at night because they would 100% protect me. But at other times they were as soppy as could be. It really does depend on how they are brought up by their owners.

Now, my cat is a different story. She's a bit bitey :D

Associate

Cheers folks.

I don't know 100% my dog wouldn't bite anyone, as said before we are extra careful when around kids as we know she doesn't like them, a lot of them have bothered her before and hit her for no reason. She has never ran toward a kid, she usually runs away from them in a friendly way just to steer clear. What I do know is if she strays away from us all I have to do is call her name and she comes right back, the only time she hasn't is when chasing a fox (she loves foxes more than dogs)

That is enough for me to let her off her leash for the last 7 years with no incidents. People love her, other dogs love her and kids love her a little too much sometimes.

I think the problem, as OP mentioned, is chavvy dogs. Luckily there's not many chavs where I live so I could be missing his side of the story. Most dog owners near me are very responsible so I don't really experience many uneducated folk with out of control dogs.

Man of Honour
Fine, dog owners can learn to expect me kicking their dog if it comes anywhere near me.

As I said, we keep to ourselves so don't walk your chavy dog towards young kids who are also enjoying the open space.
If the dog is just being playful rather than agressive, then an unprovoked attack by you is likely to get you bitten by the dog and then your actions would cause the dog to be put down. What a lovely attitude.

** If the dog is actually being agressive then I agree.

Soldato
Hades/PS/R-evans. I understand your points of view, but how can you guarantee that a dog will treat a stranger in the same way when its off the leash (assuming said stranger is acting normal/passively)?

I am walking with my twin 2 year olds and 7 year old and a couple of dogs come running towards them, my kids freak out and start to hide behind me, they are not used to animals in such close proximity (we are not a pet family).

How do I know these dogs will not treat my kids any differently to say your Alsatians, Hades?

I understand your comments that they are lovely dogs and wouldnt harm a hair on you as you mentioned, but we wouldnt know this if we were walking towards your dogs. And stating that the dogs will not harm anyone to us, doesnt make it "gospel".

This is not a jibe at the responsibility or irresponsibility of dog owners, but vouching for an animal (who despite being taken care of and bred in the right way during their lifetime), is still an animal and as such can potentially act unpredictably at any given time and under certain situations which maybe inexplicable to human beings.

I do not condone any violence towards animals at all, but I do have to say that if my childrens lives are in danger, I will do what I must to protect them, be it a dog, human being or whatever.

Soldato
If it looks like my kids are about to bite you, then fine :) Generally kids don't jump up at random strangers with muddy hands though.

The ginger ones are definitely getting it if they get too close.

I've had a random kid appear next to me in a restaurant and try and take a chip off my plate, to be fair it was the mother that needed the backhand in that instance :D

Man of Honour
Hades/PS/R-evans. I understand your points of view, but how can you guarantee that a dog will treat a stranger in the same way when its off the leash (assuming said stranger is acting normal/passively)?

I am walking with my twin 2 year olds and 7 year old and a couple of dogs come running towards them, my kids freak out and start to hide behind me, they are not used to animals in such close proximity (we are not a pet family).

How do I know these dogs will not treat my kids any differently to say your Alsatians, Hades?

I understand your comments that they are lovely dogs and wouldnt harm a hair on you as you mentioned, but we wouldnt know this if we were walking towards your dogs. And stating that the dogs will not harm anyone to us, doesnt make it "gospel".

This is not a jibe at the responsibility or irresponsibility of dog owners, but vouching for an animal (who despite being taken care of and bred in the right way during their lifetime), is still an animal and as such can potentially act unpredictably at any given time and under certain situations which maybe inexplicable to human beings.

I do not condone any violence towards animals at all, but I do have to say that if my childrens lives are in danger, I will do what I must to protect them, be it a dog, human being or whatever.
You don't know the dog won't bite and I can't guarantee it either, however soppy my dogs were. But what you're suggesting is that dogs should be on a lead at all times in a park. Dogs need exercise. It's cruel to not allow them to run. So the only sensible option here, if you believe that dogs should be kept on a lead at all times, because being cruel to an animal is simply not acceptable, is to ban dogs.

But we should look at it more objectively. Life is a risk. There are risks everywhere. I remember a sticker on my bedroon door when I was about 5 years old. It was too long ago to remember why or when I got it. but it said "Government health warning. Everything is bad for your health." Life is risky. But to take every risk out of life means we simply don't live.No that doesn't mean I want children to be at risk of being bitten. It means that, well controlled animals, should be allowed off a lead. For example there was a video here of deer in Richmond Park. Deer can be dangerous in mating season. If we insisted on all dogs being on a lead (or perhaps banned due to the cruelty that would impose) then maybe we should get rid of all deer from parks too?

I agree there should be a balance though. If you can show me some evidence that dogs in parks cause a significant threat of injury (I don't mean just one or two incidents) then I'll support your position. It has been around 30 years since I owned a dog (actually it was my parents, not me) so I have no "skin in the game" on this argument. I would just hate to see all dogs on a lead, or dogs banned, unless there is evidence of a significant issue.

Associate
OP
If the dog is just being playful rather than agressive, then an unprovoked attack by you is likely to get you bitten by the dog and then your actions would cause the dog to be put down. What a lovely attitude.

** If the dog is actually being agressive then I agree.

For the record as this keeps coming up. My response was because of the suggestion that we caused the situation. My response was flippant and I wouldn't go around kicking dogs... But I also don't want them near my children when we are minding our own business.

Back
Top Bottom