Help with decent wifi

dsb

dsb

Associate
We have moved into a new to us house which is over 100 years old. We have a sky router at 120mbs which is great, but at the back of the house is real poor.

We have purchased some TP link AV600s which work but max out at 10mbs, which I assume is the old wiring. So powerlines I think are no good.

What is my best option to get decent Internet through the house. I cant even game at the moment as the living room has such poor connection.

Cheers

Soldato
Best option is always running cables to the router, and connecting up some access points, but it’s not always feasible.

I’ve had great luck with two systems in particular:

BT whole home Wi-fi (not the mini - the standard non premium ones)

Google WiFi

The number of satellites you’ll need with depend on the size of the house and the type of walls.

I’m sure there are other systems but having tried many of them, the best I’ve come across for <300Mb broadband is the google stuff for stability and connection.

dsb

dsb

Associate
OP
Routing wires around the house is not an option, so I was thinking a mesh wifi, do they drop much speed?

Soldato
Is running cable really not an option at all anywhere? I've run bright purple 5e all over houses several times older with nothing on show other than the odd AP and socket in each room, if anything 'old' houses are easier to work with than a brand new build - the floorboards have been up for things like CH and re-wiring so it tends to be easier. Anything with a wireless backhaul is going to a compromise, anything without a dedicated wireless backhaul is going to be even worse, throw in the age generally meaning every single wall is solid brick and you're going to find it more difficult (and expensive) to mesh well, especially compared to cable.

Soldato
+1 for running a cable. My parent’s house is 200 years old and they have network sockets in every room. The voids in the walls are epic and because the walls are so thick you just go through the window frame to get outside. White cable and white clips disappear pretty quickly along skirting boards and around door frames. I’ve seen people fix flat Ethernet cables to skirting board with sticky pads because they weren’t allowed to nail things in.

You could spend a hundred pounds on this or that and then do it again when that doesn’t work. First loss, least loss. Having a cable installed should be between £1.50 and £3 per meter depending on where you are in the UK. Add on £10 for surface mount boxes at each end and it shouldn’t be hideously expensive.

Back
Top Bottom