Car purchase that has some niggles

Associate
OP
That ain't a £45k conditioned car :p

Photos cached here

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HWwkra_9Dn8J:https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/cars-for-sale/details?id=jaguar-f-type-2017-30-supercharged-v6-400-sport-2dr-auto-awd-85fc39a3+&cd=11&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=ms-android-google

It would have been subject to a Jaguar 167 point check - that would be a no then.

Exterior - General
79 General body and paintwork

Just reply, cc in Jaguar customer service
[email protected]
ooo nice find, thanks!

Soldato
Another fine example of a poor experience delivered by the motor trade.

Lesson learned here though: never buy a car without seeing it.

Man of Honour
Another fine example of a poor experience delivered by the motor trade.

Lesson learned here though: never buy a car without seeing it.
This.

A couple of years ago I put a deposit on an S3 Audi approved used which was a few hours drive away. The photos and video they sent made it look immaculate. But when I arrived to collect it I couldn't believe how bad it was. I rejected it and demanded my deposit back.

Man of Honour
I've bought cars at distance since I started buying Approved Used cars - its much more convenient, gives you much more flexibility and choice and the risk is fairly low given you're buying nearly new cars.

However I have always insisted on collection in person for this very reason - I don't see it being much of a hardship having to take a day off work and hire a car or something. One of my cars came from Glasgow - a 1000 mile round trip - but when you're spending the sort of money the OP is its surely worth it as a one off?

Soldato
My F-Type was also bought remotely as Approved Used, and was similarly described and poorly prepped. I collected it from a local dealer in the same group and was going to reject it until they agreed for to me to get quotes and the issues (tracking, and a number of paint problems) sorted locally, then refund me the costs. Took a bit of chasing to get the money from them too :(.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

Quick update - the dealer said they will take the car back and "take a look at it". When I asked for clarity/guarantees on that, I got this reply:

We will happily repair the alloy and we can sort the small blemishes on the upholstery, however I cannot guarantee what JLR will provide regarding the bodywork.

I am happy that the car meets the Jaguar Approved standard, however I can’t say any repair we perform will meet your expectations. On that basis I think it’s best we have the car back and return yours to you. The car is over 3 years old and has done over 25,000 miles, I am unable to make it as good as new.

So no guarantee that the panel will be fixed.

So the car is going back on the 10th (it'll sit on the drive until then) and I get my 370z back.

Soldato

If, nonetheless, they are/were going to guarantee that the manufacturers Paint/corrosion warranty was solid ?

but, ok, apart from the incidental costs you've incurred, returning is probably the best outcome.

Associate
I think that's the best outcome for you. You are now able to source a car that is pretty perfect condition. I have got rid of three year old cars at end of leases, etc and they have always been perfect condition without damage to upholstery, alloys or paint bubbling. I envy you being able to look for a decent F Type!

Associate
they obviously dont have any faith in there bodyshops abilities... any garage worth its salt on a 45k car would sort that paint out, i have a 2009 mondeo and that doesnt have those type of chips or damage to the paint ridiculous.

Associate
They obviously work to such tight margin
Hi all,

Quick update - the dealer said they will take the car back and "take a look at it". When I asked for clarity/guarantees on that, I got this reply:

So the car is going back on the 10th (it'll sit on the drive until then) and I get my 370z back.

Not sure how that car meets JLR approved standard, maybe they revised the 167 check to accept rust. And those seats are not what you would expect from a prestige car like that for the age and mileage.

You have made the right decision, and thankfully they have not sold your old car already :)

Make sure you post a review online so others are aware of what to look out for.

Associate
They obviously work to such tight margin

Not sure how that car meets JLR approved standard, maybe they revised the 167 check to accept rust. And those seats are not what you would expect from a prestige car like that for the age and mileage.

You have made the right decision, and thankfully they have not sold your old car already :)

Make sure you post a review online so others are aware of what to look out for.

JLR standard is only to fix damage visible from a 2 metre distance

Back
Top Bottom