New 4k TV blurry.

Soldato
You've moved from a 1080p to a 4k TV, while still watching 1080 stuff. How close do you sit out of interest, you might be sat too close and if it's like my old Samsung, you can press the info button to double check the resolution.

Man of Honour
I noticed the RF2 picture format wasnt 16:9, so changed that, but again, no different really.

There was one thing I noticed, which could potentially cause an issue. I notice the ratio was 16:9 on the TV, however I changed it to custom and the picture shrunk a tiny bit. When I put it back on to 16:9 it was like it stretched the picture to fit.

RF2 settings on the Sky box only affect the aerial pass-thru picture, not the HDMI or the SCART socket.

Your picture shrunk a little with the TV menu picture setting on Custom because Overscan was disabled in that mode. Overscan is a legacy setting from the days of CRT TVs. It predates 16:9. Depending on the preset built in to your TV, Overscan On/Off will change the picture size equally in height and width by 2-4%.

Where you're watching a HD channel from Sky - say BBC 1 HD or BBC News HD - they've got pretty good standards, and so people should look the correct shape, not short and squashed vertically. Flick over to ch 588 EWTN Catholic and you should see what poor standards look like. On the section I have just found, the picture should be 4:3 because it's obviously stretch out horizontally to fill a 16:9 screen. Second, with Overscan swiched off, I can see some dashes at the top edge of the screen. This should really be out of the frame as it's above what's known as the active picture area. They've also screwed up the aspect ratio flagging because my TV doesn't switch to 4:3 mode when set to Auto.

It still doesnt feel right. It is like my brain is telling me I need to refocus my eyeballs. It is actually effort to watch football on this tv. I'm not expecting 4k as I dont have UHD package, however standard HD looks pants compared to the previous two TVs (which were supposedly inferior!).

Question 1: Do you have the Sky box connected via HDMI directly to the TV, or is the picture going through some other device such as an AV Receiver or soundbar?

Question 2: Is your new TV substantially bigger in screen size that the previous sets?

Associate
OP
I've just phoned Sky and upgraded to UHD and Sky Q in an attempt to resolve this issue.

Sky+HD goes direct to TV via HDMI (not 2.0, but made no difference when I used 2.0).

Original was 55" then dropped down to 40" temporarily now back to 55".

We're sat around 2m away from the TV. 4k on YT looks incredible, so it cannot be the TV.

Thank you again for your help.

Permabanned
When such issues and threads, the best would be to record some material to prove what you are talking about. Why not record a video and share it on YouTube, so we can see what's really going on?

RF2 settings on the Sky box only affect the aerial pass-thru picture, not the HDMI or the SCART socket.

Your picture shrunk a little with the TV menu picture setting on Custom because Overscan was disabled in that mode. Overscan is a legacy setting from the days of CRT TVs. It predates 16:9. Depending on the preset built in to your TV, Overscan On/Off will change the picture size equally in height and width by 2-4%.

Where you're watching a HD channel from Sky - say BBC 1 HD or BBC News HD - they've got pretty good standards, and so people should look the correct shape, not short and squashed vertically. Flick over to ch 588 EWTN Catholic and you should see what poor standards look like. On the section I have just found, the picture should be 4:3 because it's obviously stretch out horizontally to fill a 16:9 screen. Second, with Overscan swiched off, I can see some dashes at the top edge of the screen. This should really be out of the frame as it's above what's known as the active picture area. They've also screwed up the aspect ratio flagging because my TV doesn't switch to 4:3 mode when set to Auto.

Question 1: Do you have the Sky box connected via HDMI directly to the TV, or is the picture going through some other device such as an AV Receiver or soundbar?

Question 2: Is your new TV substantially bigger in screen size that the previous sets?

Those dashes are the teletext. Have no idea why it's shown on many TV channels, though.

I’ve never seen a new tv that didn’t have a screen protector on when new.

TVs don't come with screen protectors.

Permabanned
I've tried to record it, but you cannot see the lack of clarity/quality with the video.

Well, yes, it looks normal - don't see any blurriness so that you can't even recognise the ball shape.

So I have just tried a HDMI 2.0 as I presume the Sky ones aren't 2.0, but it made no difference at all. I'm just watching Sky Sport HD, but is so blurry at times I cant even say the ball is spherical! It feels like I'm watching the football after drinking 15 pints, to the point where it's making me feel dizzy.

I watched 4k on the YT app.

There isnt a cover.

Q75T QLED

Soldato
What picture mode setting have you got it on?

If you're using Standard, or Vivid or something along them lines it'll be "enhancing" the image with post processing effects.

Try putting it in a picture mode without any processing options turned on.

What TV make and model?

Man of Honour
I've tried to record it, but you cannot see the lack of clarity/quality with the video.

Thanks for the video. I think what you're describing as the ball being an unrecognisable shape is this

le2hXn.jpg

If so, then this is motion blur.

Is that right?

Soldato
Picture looks fine? I personally always see and expect a bit of "bluryness" to HD, especially SD, at least that's what I experience with my LG OLED, HD was a bit better on my old Samsung MU6400, but it's still not totally crisp, always a slightly element of blurriness.

I wouldn't expect the 120hz to benefit any TV content since it would be at a much lower frame rate such as 24fps anyway?

Associate
It looks like a pretty standard compressed Sky HD picture to me. The on-screen GFX look fine.
I found the picture quality was better/sharper when I upgraded to Sky Q from +HD but the Q box has a whole world of other irritating things about it.

Back
Top Bottom