Dogs off a leash in parks

Caporegime
I live in Chelmsford, we have a large park nearby call Hylands Park which is 547 acres. It's where the V festival used to be held.

There is a massive play area for kids, surrounded by fence with a gate and no dogs sign at one end of the park near the parking area.

At the opposite end, about 2 miles away is a large lake where most of the dog walkers go. My wife and I were walking with our friendly 7 year old Labrador here in summer time, and there was a tall thin guy in his 50's who was out with his wife and teenage daughter (I'd say she was 17 or 18) and I could see they didn't have a dog, but that's not unusual. My dog went up to them with her tail wagging, but she didn't jump up at them or lick them or anything like that, and the guy immediately went ballistic shouting at me to get my dog away. I started to call her back, but then he started kicking out at her!

Anyway, the minute he started doing that to my dog, I saw red. By this point my dog was running away from him because she was scared, so I just called him the c word and told him to walk somewhere else, instead of a route where 100's of dog owners go every day.

So **** that guy, and **** people like him.

Caporegime
Lol at all the dog haters in this thread. A rambler walking past me when my dog was on lead kicked her for no reason once, it didn't end well for him.
Don't get me wrong, I come across the odd irresponsible dog owner on my walks and they get told, but please don't tar us all with the same brush. All this talk of kicking dogs is well out of order. I'm glad I live near plenty of countryside and don't have to share any parks with you miserable ****'s!

Youve had more 1st hand greif where you are with your dog than i ever had in twenty years of doge keeping in the most dense populated areas of London. So countryside and park abundance does not correlate to dogs getting kicked in this case study.

Caporegime

Youre forgetting the guy has no idea as to the intent of her. She may well be the nicest dog in the world but he could have had negative experiences which will instill that type of reaction. Additionally its still a public space and he might not have been aware of the high usage by dog owners. Finally...public space so still should really be on a lead.

Caporegime
I Find some ethnic groups and religious devotees to be incredibly scared of dogs? Any idea. Are they Haraam
?

This is a trope that I do actually find to be true to be honest.

A lot of black and Asian people seem really quite scared of my dog, and that's when it's under control on a lead walking nicely at heel.

Mainly this seems to happen when we're walking along the seafront in Clacton or Southend and I think a lot of the people come for day trips from London.

Think it's just a cultural issue, not necessarily a religious one.

Man of Honour
One thing that annoys me a lot is dog owners whose dogs are absolutely fine with their children, soppy even, but can't recognise when they are a danger to other children (or people). Seems especially a trait of Staffy owners for some reason.

Friend of mine had her face half-ripped off as a child due to that.

I have a very weird relationship when it comes to dogs - some seem to have an irrational hatred of me and will single me out to get aggressive with when fine with a crowd of other people and some won't play nice with most people but love me on sight.

Caporegime

A lot of black and Asian people seem really quite scared of my dog, and that's when it's under control on a lead walking nicely at heel.

Mainly this seems to happen when we're walking along the seafront in Clacton or Southend and I think a lot of the people come for day trips from London.

That's because in Africa and Asia not many people keep them as pets those that do keep them keep them outside for the majority.

Most dogs in those countries are wild and have rabies, etc.

Here every second person has a dog in those countries it's very rare to go to someone's home and they have a dog as a pet.

Soldato
Why do people complain specifically about dog poo so much, when the local fields, roads and walkways are peppered with poos from the likes of cats, horses, rabbits, deer, foxes, badgers and in some cases even cows and sheep?

Because a lot of dog owners don't walk there dogs in fields.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's because in Africa and Asia not many people keep them as pets those that do keep them keep them outside for the majority.

Most dogs in those countries are wild and have rabies, etc.

Here every second person has a dog in those countries it's very rare to go to someone's home and they have a dog as a pet.

Yes, understandable really.

And even British kids born here from those cultures will still unfortunately have that sort of fear instilled from their parents or grandparents (where we get a lot of our phobias)

That's why the parents posting saying their kids are scared, are slightly confusing me.

Are you sure they aren't getting that fear from you?

Soldato
The one thing i do have to laugh at with the "dog kickers" is most clearly have no idea how agile a dog can be. When you chase your own dog around the house/garden they can change direction insanely quick. I would almost bet that if someone tried to kick a dog, the dog will have dodged it before you'd even raise a foot, then you're off balance just as he's about to bite your leg.

I'd noticed this too, our neighbours are Pakistani and the mother is terrified of our dog. We've had conversations at our front door and we've had him picked up and offered to pet him if they'd like, she'll say hello etc to him but said she's too scared of dogs.

Soldato
I live in Chelmsford, we have a large park nearby call Hylands Park which is 547 acres. It's where the V festival used to be held.

There is a massive play area for kids, surrounded by fence with a gate and no dogs sign at one end of the park near the parking area.

At the opposite end, about 2 miles away is a large lake where most of the dog walkers go. My wife and I were walking with our friendly 7 year old Labrador here in summer time, and there was a tall thin guy in his 50's who was out with his wife and teenage daughter (I'd say she was 17 or 18) and I could see they didn't have a dog, but that's not unusual. My dog went up to them with her tail wagging, but she didn't jump up at them or lick them or anything like that, and the guy immediately went ballistic shouting at me to get my dog away. I started to call her back, but then he started kicking out at her!

Anyway, the minute he started doing that to my dog, I saw red. By this point my dog was running away from him because she was scared, so I just called him the c word and told him to walk somewhere else, instead of a route where 100's of dog owners go every day.

Sounds like the bloke should be on a leash...

Soldato
Thing is, being violent towards a dog that isn't being violent can turn the dog violent. Also, experiences with strangers like that will instil a learned response the next time - they may not hang about to get kicked and just go for the finisher right from the off if they don't like the look of you.

Soldato
I get harassment from dogs every time I go for a walk/run at lunch time.
Just today, I'm cutting across a park (walking) and a dog comes bounding over and stands there barking at me. I'm standing there shrugging my shoulders in the direction of the owner and they are just whistling to call the dog back. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's the same when i'm out walking and running with my son - dogs not on leads coming up to us, jumping and barking.

GET OUT OF OUR SPACE !!!

Also - marked up park football pitches are used by ages from 5-18 years old. The state of some of them is terrible, take the **** back with you !!!!!

Seriously, my patience is running thin on this issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is, being violent towards a dog that isn't being violent can turn the dog violent. Also, experiences with strangers like that will instil a learned response the next time - they may not hang about to get kicked and just go for the finisher right from the off if they don't like the look of you.

Yup, walk up to something I'm worried might bite me and kick it makes no sense at all. I'd expect a slap in the mouth from a random stranger if I walked up and booted them too.

Back
Top Bottom