*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
What are you paying currently?
Looking at BT its £63 for BB and Line rental
Sky is £83, that's including a multiroom box, this doesn't include Netflix or Q (currently refusing to move to Q until then decided to implement Profiles). Also looking at sky that £83 is also under a contract discount untill May

Soldato
Looking at BT its £63 for BB and Line rental
Sky is £83, that's including a multiroom box, this doesn't include Netflix or Q (currently refusing to move to Q until then decided to implement Profiles). Also looking at sky that £83 is also under a contract discount untill May

£60ish here... But I got sky in three rooms...

Discovery+ anyone added it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Does the Sky Q box not support Atmos or Dolby Vision?

When I try and use Netflix and Disney+ through the box I notice that is says HDR10 and 5.1 but never Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos.

Not a big deal as the apps are on the TV too just wondered if I'm missing something

Caporegime
Does the Sky Q box not support Atmos or Dolby Vision?

When I try and use Netflix and Disney+ through the box I notice that is says HDR10 and 5.1 but never Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos.

Not a big deal as the apps are on the TV too just wondered if I'm missing something
Only supports Atmos through sky UHD broadcasts afaik. Doesn’t support Vision at all either AFAIK.

Associate
I've just upgraded to Q from +HD - am I likely to see an improvement on the quality of my picture? I bought an expensive 4k TV and the picture isnt anywhere close to a cheaper version, but that was only 1080p.

Associate
I've just upgraded to Q from +HD - am I likely to see an improvement on the quality of my picture? I bought an expensive 4k TV and the picture isnt anywhere close to a cheaper version, but that was only 1080p.

for 4k broadcasts you should - football in 4k is noticeable better. For 1080p broadcasts remember your upscaling so possibly not as good as on a native 1080p panel.

Soldato
I've got the Sky soundbox and am getting a bit confused by how it handles Sky Q and my xbox. I tested when I got it and if I turned on with the sky remote it would turn sky, TV and soundbox on and set audio output to hdmi. If I then turned on my xbox, the TV switched to it automatically and the soundbox automatically set the sound to optical, when going back Sky it switched to hdmi again. I've just had it happen now though where after having sky on i turned on the xbox and audio was still sky. I had to manually change it to optical. Then after turning off the xbox and going back to sky it was still playing through optical. Shouldn't it just handle all this automatically?

Soldato
After spotting my bill was about to jump up next month the the uncontracted bend over rate, called them up today.

Fibre Boradband Was going up to £37 now paying £18 for the next 18 months.

TV package was bouncing up to over £90, Upgraded to Sky Q 4k package, sports, movies and Netflix for £50.

£68 a month total (No BT sport and No kids) fastest internet i can get.

HOWEVER engineer cant get out till the new year which is kinda annoying.

I'm now paying £10 a month less for more than i had (4k and Netflix weren't on my old deal), worth the 2 hours on the phone but why does it have to be such hard work.

Soldato
After spotting my bill was about to jump up next month the the uncontracted bend over rate, called them up today.

Fibre Boradband Was going up to £37 now paying £18 for the next 18 months.

TV package was bouncing up to over £90, Upgraded to Sky Q 4k package, sports, movies and Netflix for £50.

£68 a month total (No BT sport and No kids) fastest internet i can get.

HOWEVER engineer cant get out till the new year which is kinda annoying.

I'm now paying £10 a month less for more than i had (4k and Netflix weren't on my old deal), worth the 2 hours on the phone but why does it have to be such hard work.

You can actually do it via text message now, makes it so much easier. Don't forget that's 4 user 4k Netflix too.

Soldato
Does Netflix via Sky Q not support HDR? I get Dolby Vision via the TV app but seemingly no form of HDR showing via the Sky Q App.
I have 2160p 10bit set on the Sky Q box. Should use HDR10.

edit: reading about, I might need to refresh the apps or something for it to kick in. Will have a play.

Last edited:
Associate
Does Netflix via Sky Q not support HDR? I get Dolby Vision via the TV app but seemingly no form of HDR showing via the Sky Q App.

edit: reading about, I might need to refresh the apps or something for it to kick in. Will have a play.
Is your box on the Q130 or Q140 software? HDR only kicked in with Q130 but if you can get Dolby Vision with the TV app then stick with it. The Q Netflix app isn’t great and limited to HDR10.

Soldato

I can't get it through my box even though I've only had it fitted a month or so. I read it uses hlg HDR so I'm not sure if my TV supports that (it's almost 5 years old, but does support hdr). Also does anyone else get an issue with resolution not supported sometimes when turning stuff on? Googling tells me it's reasonablely common.

Associate
I can't get it through my box even though I've only had it fitted a month or so. I read it uses hlg HDR so I'm not sure if my TV supports that (it's almost 5 years old, but does support hdr). Also does anyone else get an issue with resolution not supported sometimes when turning stuff on? Googling tells me it's reasonablely common.
Ah yes, forgot about that. Sky’s own shows use HLG and the Q box needs to detect an HLG compatible TV before it’ll show HDR10 from the Netflix app. Is your TV a Phillips by any chance? They’ve been reported to be problematic with the handshake between the box and TV.

Soldato
Is your box on the Q130 or Q140 software? HDR only kicked in with Q130 but if you can get Dolby Vision with the TV app then stick with it. The Q Netflix app isn’t great and limited to HDR10.

It was on Q120, just updated to Q130 and hasn’t enabled it. It’s a V2 box if that matters, despite only getting it installed yesterday, thought I’d get the V3. Though not really sure what the difference is.

I think you’re right, best to stick to the TV app. Just annoying though, had planned on not using the TV apps at all, taking it off of the network and shoving the remote in the cupboard.

Soldato
Ah yes, forgot about that. Sky’s own shows use HLG and the Q box needs to detect an HLG compatible TV before it’ll show HDR10 from the Netflix app. Is your TV a Phillips by any chance? They’ve been reported to be problematic with the handshake between the box and TV.
It's a Samsung ju6800. Its not HDR certified but it does do a pretty good job of hdr.

Back
Top Bottom