PC and cancel culture, what are the pros and cons?

Commissario
There's no such thing as a cancel culture.

You are entitled to say (almost) whatever you want. You are not entitled to a platform or an audience. That's never changed.
This, so much this.

I have the right to be obnoxious, but I don't have the right to force anyone else to listen to me, or to force company to provide me with a means to do so.

I tend to find it oddly amusing to hear the likes of the Republicans in the US complaining about "cancel culture" when they've spent decades trying to stop books being in libraries and calling on TV shows to be cancelled because they did things like having same sex couples.

Most of "PC" that i see complaints about is basically just what used to be called being polite - except that you don't have the get out that someone is a different colour, sex, or religion (effectively you start off by treating people as your equal, not something you scraped off the bottom of your shoe because they're different).

Caporegime
Cancel Culture is a tool of the modern left.

People must be trolling when they say it's more of a right wing thing.

Cancel culture is a culture of intolerance under the guise of protecting the rights of minorities. Jordan Peterson is against compelled speech therefore is labelled as "transphobic", Sam Harris criticises religious doctrine therefore is labelled "Islamophobic", it's embarassing that society has degenerated to the point where it's at now.

Caporegime
People must be trolling when they say it's more of a right wing thing.

Cancel culture is a culture of intolerance under the guise of protecting the rights of minorities. Jordan Peterson is against compelled speech therefore is labelled as "transphobic", Sam Harris criticises religious doctrine therefore is labelled "Islamophobic", it's embarassing that society has degenerated to the point where it's at now.

I've just reported you to the moderation team and recommended they issue you with a permanent ban. I do not wish to see fascism on this forum. I come here for friendly and inclusive GPU advice (just not from filthy AMD users), not flashbacks of Nazi Germany. We're all equal here.

Caporegime
You'd better not tell him what to do or he'll make a semi-decent film with some pretty good actors that still leaves you unfufilled at the end like that time you only ate breakfast, skipped lunch, but then had to overeat at dinner :mad:

Soldato
I think cancel culture exceeds simply not listening to voices you don’t want to listen to. It typically involves loosely coordinated social media campaigns to encourage advertisers and customers to abandon the chosen victim. It is not about what they actually said or did simply that Team A or Team B has decided the victim is untermensch and must be destroyed.

Today’s Spiked Online has a few good examples one regarding a long standing gay magazine being mobbed simply for saying listen to other views and another about Amnesty International urging people (apparently without irony) be prosecuted for holding the wrong opinions.

But apparently if you’re “anti-hate” there is no level of hate you’re not allowed to deploy in defence of the “right opinions”.

Soldato
I see cancel culture in practice daily on my sm feed. Normal people or businesses losing their jobs, livelihoods etc because they 'hurt' the mob in some way through something they've communicated - this gets highlighted by the people that can't be cancelled (the self-employed, those working at non-Woke institutions). This is so much more than just 'lol they got banned from Twitter derp'.

Cancel culture is when an individual or group calls for the removal of a person or business by putting pressure on some 3rd party to impose sanctions or punishment on the 'transgressor' and that the individual or group does so because they perceive that they were psychologically or emotionally harmed by the transgressor’s speech (or historical actions). It’s the use of mob dynamics to silence debate through threats to career, employment, and reputation.

Many of you don't think it exists because a lot of the time it's just regular people being cancelled, people who you'd never hear about if it weren't for other people shedding light on it.

Here's some examples, all fairly current and I didn't include anyone famous like Suzanne Moore who was recently bullied out of The Guardian for not being Woke enough.

English teacher sacked for questioning 'toxic masculinity'

University of Chicago lecturer being targeted for cancellation because he dared to mildly criticise DEI implementation on campus

NYU cafeteria employees fired after preparing a menu in honor of "Black History Month" that was deemed racially insensitive

Woke yoga studio cancelled for not being woke enough

Woman posts a Facebook video explaining why she doesn’t support BLM, loses jobs after campaign to have her fired, targeted afterwards, had GoFundMe fundaiser removed

Pop-up food truck cancelled because 'cultural appropriation'

Person dismissed by trustees of charity he founded nine years ago, after an online mob accused him of ‘inappropriate’ and ‘insensitive’ views over his criticism of BLM and demanded his removal

Fired for promoting scientifically accepted, but socially controversial, facts about human evolution

Painter's exhibit cancelled because being inspired by native art = you guessed it, cultural appropriation

Guy posts a playful ad for a new cafeteria worker full of sarcastic jokes, and one of his lines is "I need a new slave to boss around." Cue outrage

Vagina Monologues cancelled for not being 'inclusive' enough

Woke fantasy author's book cancelled because she's white and shouldn't be writing about other cultures

Yoga teacher cancelled because 'cultural appropriation'

Democrat political scientist cancelled for writing about how violent protests are counter-productive

Guy is fired after social media outcry for hanging his hand out his van in a 'white supremacist way'. He was Mexican

Curator sacked because he wouldn't omit white artists

I've got 100's more.

Man of Honour
I've noticed a spike in this behaviour on LinkedIn over the past few months too, which is worrying.

Recent example which I'm unable to link to :

Sales woman cold calls company to sell something. Prospect responds with "Sure, I love it when a woman with a sexy voice tries to sell me something"

Sales woman hangs up and calls Prospect's boss. Boss listens but declines to take any action as he doesn't feel it necessary.

Sales woman names and shames said individuals on LinkedIn, thousands of responses many of which are disproportionate to the event that triggered them, such as insinuations of the prospect being a rapist, demands to stop trading with the company, contacting other customers and investors in the company to demand they stop trading with them else face a similar wave of bad publicity, discussing reporting the Prospect to the authorities as a risk to his own daughters due to his toxic views of women etc etc etc.

Blackmail, bullying, harassment..... what I believe is generally referred to as a witch hunt. Sympathisers or responders who questioned the severity of the original transgression were dealt with in the same manner.

No room for debate, no room for discussion, no room for response, no room for a difference of opinion - you are wrong, we are right, and you will be stamped into the ground by a loosely organised mob for it.

I found the whole episode incredibly uncomfortable to read, not least due to the degree of vitriol and self satisfaction that increased exponentially with each response.

The left has some noble causes, and a more inclusive society that is more accepting and tolerant is a good thing - but publicity hangings are not the tool to achieve that.

Permabanned
They should just shoot all these idiot, thanks f00k I grew up in 70-90's and will be dead in a few decades.

I noticed this PC/etc etc crap starting to take hold around 2000 but by about 2010 is when it really took off and even more each passing year God help anyone who says anything to anyone else by 2030.

Soldato
Somnambulist , great post.

Have to chuckle at the ' what cancel culture!? posts..... Living in the protected ,padded with feathers and bubble wrap and stuck inside a bubble no doubt.

Soldato
Can you post some more please these are really interesting.

Here's a few more to keep you going.

Writer posts to FB about a rejection she got for an essay about hate crimes against hijabi women. Editor was offended that a WHITE woman would write such a thing. Within 48 hours, the tiff escalates to the point that her career was utterly demolished

A software engineer was fired from her job because she wrote an article that was critical of the trend of non-binary identities

An Edmonton theatre company has cancelled its upcoming production of Othello, after the decision to cast a white woman in the leading role prompted anger and sharp criticism

People trying to cancel singer Sia's movie because an autistic character in the film is being played by a kid who is not autistic

Toronto store owned by a white woman selling bone broth, hot sauce and other foods from different cultures shut down because...

Journalist Helen Lewis has been dropped from a game because of her ‘offensive’ (read: perfectly reasonable) views on trans issues

A professional cyclist was suspended from participating in upcoming races because he admitted to being a Trump fan. And for committing the unforgivably racist sin of using a black hand emoji

Professor of communications cancelled because students complained that in a lecture he used a Chinese word ("niege") that sounds like the n-word

Trans author of a sci-fi short story was bullied and harassed so badly for her story being 'insensitive' to trans people that she self-cancelled

Professor attempting to be cancelled because he decided to observe a local pro-police rally for a short time

Permabanned
I've noticed a spike in this behaviour on LinkedIn over the past few months too, which is worrying.

Recent example which I'm unable to link to :

Sales woman cold calls company to sell something. Prospect responds with "Sure, I love it when a woman with a sexy voice tries to sell me something"

Sales woman hangs up and calls Prospect's boss. Boss listens but declines to take any action as he doesn't feel it necessary.

Sales woman names and shames said individuals on LinkedIn, thousands of responses many of which are disproportionate to the event that triggered them, such as insinuations of the prospect being a rapist, demands to stop trading with the company, contacting other customers and investors in the company to demand they stop trading with them else face a similar wave of bad publicity, discussing reporting the Prospect to the authorities as a risk to his own daughters due to his toxic views of women etc etc etc.

Blackmail, bullying, harassment..... what I believe is generally referred to as a witch hunt. Sympathisers or responders who questioned the severity of the original transgression were dealt with in the same manner.

No room for debate, no room for discussion, no room for response, no room for a difference of opinion - you are wrong, we are right, and you will be stamped into the ground by a loosely organised mob for it.

I found the whole episode incredibly uncomfortable to read, not least due to the degree of vitriol and self satisfaction that increased exponentially with each response.

The left has some noble causes, and a more inclusive society that is more accepting and tolerant is a good thing - but publicity hangings are not the tool to achieve that.

Why on earth would you say something like that though? I'm not justifying the response, but what would possess somebody to say something so incredibly stupid? :/

Soldato
Apparently it seems like the new "normal" is white men are evil racist sexual predators and everyone else is fragile beyond belief. Black - fragile, Woman - fragile, Insert Pronoun Here - fragile. The new "normal" is quite frankly stunningly insulting to everyone. Generation Why? and Generation Z are looking distinctly broken at manufacture. It makes me worry about the World my kids are growing up in, it is bewilderingly strange place.

Soldato
Here's a few more to keep you going.

Writer posts to FB about a rejection she got for an essay about hate crimes against hijabi women. Editor was offended that a WHITE woman would write such a thing. Within 48 hours, the tiff escalates to the point that her career was utterly demolished

A software engineer was fired from her job because she wrote an article that was critical of the trend of non-binary identities

An Edmonton theatre company has cancelled its upcoming production of Othello, after the decision to cast a white woman in the leading role prompted anger and sharp criticism

People trying to cancel singer Sia's movie because an autistic character in the film is being played by a kid who is not autistic

Toronto store owned by a white woman selling bone broth, hot sauce and other foods from different cultures shut down because...

Journalist Helen Lewis has been dropped from a game because of her ‘offensive’ (read: perfectly reasonable) views on trans issues

A professional cyclist was suspended from participating in upcoming races because he admitted to being a Trump fan. And for committing the unforgivably racist sin of using a black hand emoji

Professor of communications cancelled because students complained that in a lecture he used a Chinese word ("niege") that sounds like the n-word

Trans author of a sci-fi short story was bullied and harassed so badly for her story being 'insensitive' to trans people that she self-cancelled

Professor attempting to be cancelled because he decided to observe a local pro-police rally for a short time

Excellent, can you post some more?

Back
Top Bottom