Router recommendations

Associate
I've been looking at the unifi stuff, original for just APs then for their cameras

Before I add these i need to sort my router. I have FTTP via fibrenest with a Huawei hg8245q2 which is giving me lots off issues. They have agreed to replace with an optical modem paired with a linksys velop

I want something i can run multiple vlans on

What does everyone recommend

Soldato
Unifi Protect (the cameras) are not great at the moment. The access points are great, and the Unifi Dream Machine will be a good choice for an All-in-one router that will also run the controller for other access points. I'd put in a UDM first then see that the wireless LAN coverage is like and if you need more then add a UAP-HDFlex. The UDM is a fast Unifi router, a 4-port managed switch, Unifi Cloud Key Controller and Unifi 4x4 HD Access point all in one box. So it looks pricey but actually it's decent value for what you get.

The Unifi controller makes VLANs very easy - especially if you use the Unifi switches. They just get configured automagically and it all just works. Likewise, if you add more access points, when you adopt them they just become part of the existing wireless LAN and the controller takes care of almost all the configuration.

Soldato
The difficulty with researching the UDM is a lot of people refer to the UDM Pro as UDM as well, so when you’re doing your research, try to filter out anything UDM Pro because that’s not Ubiquiti’s finest hour. Do also bear in mind that you have a year, maximum before the WiFi6 version of the UDM will be out.

Associate
OP
@WJA96 finally bit the bullet and got a UDM

Fibrenest was due to replace the all in one router with a different unit yesterday but failed to attend

So for now, the UDM is running via the supplied unit using DMZ as no bridge mode and its pretty impressive and simple to set up

Associate
@WJA96 finally bit the bullet and got a UDM

Fibrenest was due to replace the all in one router with a different unit yesterday but failed to attend

So for now, the UDM is running via the supplied unit using DMZ as no bridge mode and its pretty impressive and simple to set up

how did getting a separate modem and switching the router with a UDM go? I am thinking about a similar setup on Fibrenest.

Associate
OP
how did getting a separate modem and switching the router with a UDM go? I am thinking about a similar setup on Fibrenest.

It has so far resolved my drop out issues, the all in one unit was rubbish

The replacement modem is a tiny unit to convert the fibre to copper with one RJ45 output

The wifi signal on the UDM has helped as it copes with more wifi connections

Associate
It has so far resolved my drop out issues, the all in one unit was rubbish

The replacement modem is a tiny unit to convert the fibre to copper with one RJ45 output

The wifi signal on the UDM has helped as it copes with more wifi connections

Nice, this makes me content that I can drop in my own router (probably an UDM :)). Thanks for follwoing back up on my question.

Associate
I’m moving to a new home and fibrenest will be all I can get. Will go for 500mb. Assume it’s worth it and speed is fine (I’m on a gig service now). How easy is it to get an edge router going. I want to use mine with my mesh system.

Associate
OP
I’m moving to a new home and fibrenest will be all I can get. Will go for 500mb. Assume it’s worth it and speed is fine (I’m on a gig service now). How easy is it to get an edge router going. I want to use mine with my mesh system.

I have the 250mb package and had no issues apart from the odd occasion i have maxed it out

It you have the new set up instead of the all in one, then its just a case of plugging the new router into the fibre box

Back
Top Bottom