Another Ebay thread yet again - is it dodgy?

Associate
Sold a Graphics Card on ebay and Im not sure if its a legit buyer or not and im just being too cautious or if I should be concerned.

GPU sold directly via B.I.N, no offers or communication has been made by the seller.

Recevied notification that i've been paid but its been sent as an echeque so will take 5-7 days to clear.

I sent the buyer a courteous message just to mention that as soon as the payment clears through paypal i will dispatch the GPU

Didn't hear anything back from buyer

The Confirmed Delivery address is an Argos Click and Collect (Hard to prove if the buyer says Argos havent got the item? - Not sure)

Buyers ebay account hasn't been active in over 6 months, but he does have 100% positive feedback and has written one review for some RGB fans and put some pictures up - so it is related to the same interest as what he bought from me.

My main concerns are with it being a £450 item and delivering it to a click and collect, but as I say, I could just be being too over cautious

Soldato
You’re a much braver man than I, I’d never sell anything over £100 on eBay personally.

If your not sure, you’re probably right.

Soldato
no chance I'd send to a click and collect address - no proof of who actually picks it up, other than "it's been collected" - Echeque is a red flag as well for me.

100% stay well clear.

Why not sell on members market here - way less chance of getting ripped off/stupid ebay fees.

Soldato
Lol not a week goes by without one of these. Google "Ebay Argos Click and Collect scam". Either you post and the cheque bounces/ is from a stolen account or you will get a refund request which you wont win and you will be out the card and the money. Take the £50 hit on the price on MM in the safe knowledge it wont be a scam rather than risk it on fleabay and be out £450 and a card

Soldato
I'd be inclined to agree with the above. I'm not one of the "haha selling anything on ebay is stupid" people, and have sold quite a bit of valuable Hifi stuff on there without issue, but i'd always be weary about the click and collect element i think, especially combined with the lack of response.

Caporegime
Cut and dry scam.

I'd reject any payment that isn't PayPal or cash-in-hand when selling on eBay, regardless of value.

The fact he wants it sent to an anonymous address is the icing on the cake.

The plan is that you will send the item before the eCheque clears, the eCheque gets cancelled, the item gets delivered to the click and collect, he collects it, you realise the payment hasn't cleared, they won't respond to your messages, eBay can't do anything because he didn't pay via PayPal, and you don't have his address so you can pay him a visit.

Soldato
What on earth is an eCheque and what purpose does it serve?

I'm sure there's a reason I can't think of but seems bizarre to me - who looked at electronic payment systems and decided what the world needed was an electronic payment that takes a week to be confirmed? :p

Caporegime
Same. Never heard of an eCheque either?
No me neither. Other than seeing it as a possible payment option on eBay!
What on earth is an eCheque and what purpose does it serve?

I'm sure there's a reason I can't think of but seems bizarre to me - who looked at electronic payment systems and decided what the world needed was an electronic payment that takes a week to be confirmed? :p
Utter madness... You know, my Dad sold something on eBay the other day and the buyer POSTED a CHEQUE...

An actual PAPER CHEQUE... That you have to go to the BANK in TOWN to CASH! During a PANDEMIC! :eek:

I mean wow...

Associate
No me neither. Other than seeing it as a possible payment option on eBay!

Utter madness... You know, my Dad sold something on eBay the other day and the buyer POSTED a CHEQUE...

An actual PAPER CHEQUE... That you have to go to the BANK in TOWN to CASH! During a PANDEMIC! :eek:

I mean wow...

If your Dad has a banking app on his phone he might be able to photograph the cheque and pay it in that way. My Lloyds banking app allows that. I've paid in dozen of cheques that way. Really easy...

Associate
an eCheque is used by Paypal when the seller does not have a card registered with them and the money is taken directly from their bank account, it can take up to 6 days to go through.
I imagine you will certainly have sent it by recorded means, so just put the tracking number in the Paypal & Ebay sales, then as long as the click & collect addrerss is the place where Paypal say to send it you are covered, So don't worry

Caporegime
If your Dad has a banking app on his phone he might be able to photograph the cheque and pay it in that way. My Lloyds banking app allows that. I've paid in dozen of cheques that way. Really easy...

Im not even sure my Dads phone takes pictures. :p

But I might be able to do it for him, thanks. :)

Man of Honour
an eCheque is used by Paypal when the seller does not have a card registered with them and the money is taken directly from their bank account.
I imagine you will certainly have sent it by recorded means, so just put the tracking number in the Paypal & Ebay sales, then as long as the click & collect addrerss is the place where Paypal say to send it you are covered, So don't worry

Yeah, as long as you play by ebay's rules, you will avoid losing money in my experience. It's what they charge fees for. Feedback is another matter, but that's always the case.

Soldato
The fact he wants it sent to an anonymous address is the icing on the cake.

Is it? There are a lot of these collection style services available now, people use them when they know that they won't be home/around to sign for a parcel, and knowing that it'll be too big to fit through a letterbox.

I would assume for an Argos pickup the buyer would need to provide proof of address, so i can't see how someone could put in a claim for not receiving the parcel.

I'd be more concerned with the use of an echeque, and what refund rights that offers the buyer.

Associate
OP
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/why-has-my-payment-been-sent-as-an-echeque-faq962

echeque's are often sent when the buyers debit card has expired and hasn't been updated to the latest card. Paypal often won't even tell the buyer the payment they are sending will be an echeque and ebay sellers aren't supposed to refuse them as they are legitimate paypal transactions. Ebay won't let me cancel the sale just yet, I think I have to wait for payment to clear before I can, but I may do just for the uncertainty factor.

Caporegime
Is it? There are a lot of these collection style services available now, people use them when they know that they won't be home/around to sign for a parcel, and knowing that it'll be too big to fit through a letterbox.

I would assume for an Argos pickup the buyer would need to provide proof of address, so i can't see how someone could put in a claim for not receiving the parcel.

I'd be more concerned with the use of an echeque, and what refund rights that offers the buyer.
I wouldnt be concerned about the collection point address being used if he hadnt also used an echeque.

In this context it just seems like a way to withold their address.

Man of Honour
I had a Paypal credit payment go through as an eCheque a month or 2 ago I was very confused when I seen eCheque come up on my statement.
No idea why Paypal did it like that and not the usual DD that is set up, so I wouldn't instantly blame the buyer for using that method of payment.

Back
Top Bottom