• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Mistake? 10900K over 5950/5900/5800?

Soldato
Folks, Ive come to this thread with my tail between my legs, unsure if I have made a mistake or not.

Long story short, Ive purchased some bits and bobs to make a new rig and upgrade from my trusty 4770k which has served me well for the past 7 years.

Ive purchased a 10900K CPU but several people have told me Ive made a mistake.

Now let me make clear that I am not doing any editing or anything CPU intensive, but primarily gaming and general MS office/browsing/email etc.

I can see a 5950 is now being sold on OCUK for £850, 5900 for £550 and the 5800 for £450 ish.

The 10900 I purchased was £600, which puts it up against the 5900 and 5800.

I also know that you can get PCIe Gen 4 with the new Ryzens, again which is not something Im fazed about.

Looking at benchmarks the 5950 seems to be a little bit better than the 10900 and the 5900/5800 seem to be in the same ballpark (perhaps lower) in FPS terms in games.

Plus if I were to order the Ryzens now, I am not sure when I would receive them. And I would like to game over the Xmas period.

And as mentioned Im coming from a 4770K, so going from that to a 10900K will seem almost similar to going from 4770K to a 5950X.

So my question folks, and I would be grateful for your candour on this, in the context of what I mentioned above... is going for the 10900K a mistake I will regret?

I would be grateful for your comments. Thanks folks.

Soldato
I don’t think you’ve made a mistake for your use cases. Enjoy it and try not to worry too much about it.

PCIe 4.0 doesn’t make any difference for games (both in terms of storage and GPU).

Soldato
It's not a mistake, just a different path taken. Intel is still a safe choice. CPU choice depends on your GPU choice to a degree - Ryzen 5000 and RX6000 unlocks SmartMemory which is worth a small performance boost. There's no benefit to PCIe 4.0 at the moment. The benchmark improvements are within the margin of error for graphics, and game load times don't improve more than a second from a SATA SSD to any NVMe drive.

Soldato
Out of interest, why didnt you look at Ryzen 5000 series benchmarks / reviews before buying?

You can get a new 5800X delivered next day for about £550 inc delivery.

5800X appears to beat the gaming and benchmarks for single core and almost multi against the 10900k. Less cores, less heat, less power, less cost and more performance

Soldato
OP
I don’t think you’ve made a mistake for your use cases. Enjoy it and try not to worry too much about it.

PCIe 4.0 doesn’t make any difference for games (both in terms of storage and GPU).
Thanks bud. Appreciate the sentiment.

It's not a mistake, just a different path taken. Intel is still a safe choice. CPU choice depends on your GPU choice to a degree - Ryzen 5000 and RX6000 unlocks SmartMemory which is worth a small performance boost. There's no benefit to PCIe 4.0 at the moment. The benchmark improvements are within the margin of error for graphics, and game load times don't improve more than a second from a SATA SSD to any NVMe drive.
Cheers bud, again appreciate the sentiment and comments.

Out of interest, why didnt you look at Ryzen 5000 series benchmarks / reviews before buying?
You can get a new 5800X delivered next day for about £550 inc delivery.
5800X appears to beat the gaming and benchmarks for single core and almost multi against the 10900k. Less cores, less heat, less power, less cost and more performance
Cheers for your response G2. You must be sick of seeing my questions :)
I did check benches actually, its the first thing I did. Which is why I went with the 10900 because the 10900 was available and the 5950 was not.
And the 10900 appears to beat the 5800 in most benchies Ive watched on YT. (albeit not by much but a gap nonetheless).
5800 available now? Where ? I know OCUK have them in stock but are only supplying them for builds due to being OEM versions.

Not the ones I’ve seen. The gap is almost non-existent at 1440p and actually is 0 at 4K too.
Yep this is what I saw as well when watching lots of YT clips and reviews.

And this leads me to the point right now....the way that a lot of people are talking about Ryzens make it sound like they have taken a dump all over Intel and are trouncing on them.

But in gaming terms at least, the difference is quite marginal and can be easily matched with a bump/increase in clock speeds etc?

Soldato
^^^ There is definitely an advantage to Ryzen for video editing, code compilation, etc. In fact, it’s a bargain for those uses but that doesn’t really apply for you.

The Ryzen also does have an advantage in energy usage and thermals.

Soldato
OP
^^^ There is definitely an advantage to Ryzen for video editing, code compilation, etc. In fact, it’s a bargain for those uses but that doesn’t really apply for you.

The Ryzen also does have an advantage in energy usage and thermals.

Fully understood. Although I thought I saw a bench showing the Ryzens drawing more power than the 10900.

And regarding video editing/coding do you have a video showing the difference? It doesnt apply to me but nonetheless it would be good to understand.
Thanks Stu!

Soldato
Fully understood. Although I thought I saw a bench showing the Ryzens drawing more power than the 10900.

And regarding video editing/coding do you have a video showing the difference? It doesnt apply to me but nonetheless it would be good to understand.
Thanks Stu!

Yep there’s one here for the 5900X

The productivity benchmarks are in the first half of the video then games. They’ve reviewed the other new Ryzen processors recently too.

Soldato
OP
10900k is an absolute beast, zero mistakes have been made enjoy it ^^
I bought mine a few month ago and have nil regrets.

Nope be absolutely fine. Would have also been fine if you had bought an AMD CPU.

Cheers folks :)

Yep there’s one here for the 5900X

The productivity benchmarks are in the first half of the video then games. They’ve reviewed the other new Ryzen processors recently too.

Cheers Stu999. Not as bad as I thought.
Clear that the AMDs trounce the Intels in the rendering stuff.
(Also didnt know compression was CPU intensive which is kinda obvious tbh!)
But coming from a 4770 to this Im sure I will be impressed regardless of AMD or Intel.

Interesting to see the Intel are faster than 5950 in some games and vice versa.

Also there were some slides on power consumption, one slide in particular showing the 5950 @ 4.7GHZ about 370W vs the 10900 @ 300W ish. Not sure if that is stock though....

Soldato
Cheers for your response G2. You must be sick of seeing my questions :)
I did check benches actually, its the first thing I did. Which is why I went with the 10900 because the 10900 was available and the 5950 was not.
And the 10900 appears to beat the 5800 in most benchies Ive watched on YT. (albeit not by much but a gap nonetheless).
5800 available now? Where ? I know OCUK have them in stock but are only supplying them for builds due to being OEM versions.

Yep this is what I saw as well when watching lots of YT clips and reviews.

And this leads me to the point right now....the way that a lot of people are talking about Ryzens make it sound like they have taken a dump all over Intel and are trouncing on them.

But in gaming terms at least, the difference is quite marginal and can be easily matched with a bump/increase in clock speeds etc?

Not at all :)
A big auction website, maybe costs more but at least it’s available.
I was waiting for Zen 3 but almost went back to Intel myself actually and was looking at the 10900.
Lets do skme benches (of games) i bet you’re right though, not much in it. There never is at the upper end. It’s like with RAM, pay £200 or £300 more to gain 3-5fps or something :D

Is your system all built now?

Soldato
I think it’s a mistake you bought a 10900k. You don’t do any core intensive so why get the 10core part for gaming.

you should have gone with 10850k 10700k or 5800x save yourself a couple of hundred quid of money.

it’s like bringing a F1 car to a F3 race...yes F1 car is the ultimate racing machine costing £100mil a pop (the 10900k isn’t the ultimate btw. It is the 5950x. So one is a williams and the other is a Mercedes). But with the F3 regulations it is no better than those £1mil a pop cars and you ain’t allowed to exploit all the F1 goodness. So why waste all that money...

Last edited:
Soldato
OCUK had the 10900K for like 480 sometime in october so not sure what's going on with the price of them now. :eek: 600 seems a bit steep but I think some people forget that just because AMD have top tier products now does not make intel's lineup turn useless overnight. I went with AMD this time for a change as I have been on Intel for over a decade but I'm sure a 10700K/10850K/10900K etc would have done me just fine. :cool:

Caporegime
for gaming you will probably have the better experience. we had a thread recently called is there a reason to buy intel. amd fanboys dived in. now go read the amd issues with 5800 and 5900s in the cpu threads.

numerous issues need bios updates , memory tweaks lala the rest. intel drop in works. no bother. you got a great a cpu enjoy it.

Associate
For gaming 10900k is fine, you don't need to worry about cinebench or other benchmarks. You've a beast of a gaming cpu. YYou have the K varient so you are free to explore the joys of overclocking it and playing your games.
Don't get caught up in what everyone else sdays, it's your rig and you know what you are using it for.
You don't need to get the best of the best, unless you are going to buy the best of everything cpu, motherboard, ram, gpu, and take the time to Overclock, tune, and mod to get the most, that is the extreme elite performance crowd, and it comes at a cost..
I'm running a 10700k at present and when prices drop I'll get a 10900k or kf and blow it up just to game on and mess around and I know it's going to be fine for gaming for years.

Soldato
fnow go read the amd issues with 5800 and 5900s in the cpu threads. numerous issues need bios updates , memory tweaks lala the rest. intel drop in works. no bother.

for every one that said he/she got an issue there are probably another 100 don't have any issues. if you actually read through any of the issues, it is usually down to user installation erorrs, or not undertsanding bios settings with the odd few having actual hardware issues ie bad ram/cpu/board which will result in RMA.

people who has problem there are 100 other users who has none. the ones who have problems and dont know the remedies will likely to post on forums way more than happy customers. so issues arising on forum or reddit is not a holistic view of any particular trending issues. unless there is hard evidence it is much more wide spread.

also these issues can stem from user installation errors, the odd bad board or CPU, incompatible hardwares, not updating latest stable biosm, no doign fresh install coming from intel platform, dodgy software, overclocking without doing stress testing. these problems are also symptonmatic to intel related hardware and intel users. if you search forum for "intel high temp" "inte Ram not working" you get a gazillion of results. so your view point is extremely biased.

regardless of the post by Dg.

the OP just games and having a £600 part that is way over the top is not necessary. a £400 CPU from either intel or AMD will do you good now and for years to come and be at the same gaming perforance as the £600 part. that extra £200 can be used to pay the scalper for a new GPU or put towards a new PSU if you intent to go down the route of 3080 or 3090.

Last edited:
Associate

Direct Storage is coming

Back
Top Bottom