Samsung Evo Plus 2TB Heatsink Needed?

Soldato
Hi All,

Got a Evo Plus 2TB and noticed it is running quite warm, anywhere between 60-78 degrees depending on whether it is idle or under load.

Samsung Magician reports it as too hot the entire time.

I have it installed in the rear slot on my motherboard (see signature)

Should I put a heatsink on it, if so which one?

Permabanned
I just use these. They are cheap and work perfectly well. They do a lower profile one too that is only 5mm thick. They cost aroung a fiver each.

51ik%2BI3e5WL._AC_SL1066_.jpg

Placing them on the front in the air flow does make a difference and if there is no slot on the front then a PCIe riser card is a good plan.

Soldato
OP
Maybe am wrong but it seems stupid to have an M.2 mount behind the motherboard as there normally no airflow or very little airflow behind the motherboard in most PC cases

Depends really, sandwich style cases have airflow in both compartments.

Considering it is installed on a Mini ITX motherboard, most cases used for these are sandwich style.

Soldato
If you have a spare pcie slot you could get a silverstone ecm23 heatsink.

Doesn't take up much room and gives great cooling.

Soldato
OP
As mentioned I have a Mini ITX board, so I don't have the luxury of an extra PCIe slot.

I have moved the drive to the front M.2 for the time being which has a built in heatsink, temperatures have dropped substantially.

The problem is this is the PCIe 4 slot and I'll have a Gen 4 drive going in eventually so this will only be a temporary solution at this stage.

I have noticed EKWB have some slim heatsinks, anyone used them?

Back
Top Bottom