• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Where have all the graphics cards gone?

Soldato
I really hope some of these people throwing money down the drain at scalper pricers, whether from retailers or opportunists, lose their jobs & income, if for no other reason than to teach them the value of money. The sooner they learn this life lesson the hard way, the better.

Right now we have a bunch of idiotic 18-30yr old's with no self control, and make no mistake, that's the main demographic who are feeding this FOMO scalper frenzy, showing a complacent regard for what counts as life's essentials.

Associate
I really hope some of these people throwing money down the drain at scalper pricers, whether from retailers or opportunists, lose their jobs & income, if for no other reason than to teach them the value of money. The sooner they learn this life lesson the hard way, the better.

Right now we have a bunch of idiotic 18-30yr old's with no self control, and make no mistake, that's the main demographic who are feeding this FOMO scalper frenzy, showing a complacent regard for what counts as life's essentials.

Sorry but I completely disagree. Firstly you cannot live in a capitalist world and then moan when prices go up. Supply and demand are what determine the prices and ultimately all of the retailers exist to make money not to provide you a graphics card at what you think is reasonable price. If you don't like the price then don't buy, if everybody agrees with you and shares the same sentiment then nobody buys then supply goes up and therefore the prices should come down. Sounds to me a bit like sour grapes because you do not have the money to buy one right now!!

With regards to idiotic 18-30 year old's, again maybe your subjective personalisation of jealously because you cannot afford the current prices. Or maybe you can afford them but have decided to wait, that's fine as well but don't insult others who decide that a bit of extra money is worth spending to get a few months extra gaming out of their chosen product. Those people will be sat there playing their favorite games getting enjoyment out of their new product which most likely they have worked hard for the money to pay for and I say good on them!. Additionally this year is also exceptional in that people have been stuck in all year not going out spending money and not going on holiday so if they want to spend that spare cash on something to make lockdown a little more enjoyable then I say go for it!!

However if you are going out an buying a card on credit, or buying one that you know you cannot actually afford then I completely agree with you and perhaps some restraint is required but I cannot agree with this sweeping generalisation you have made!

Soldato
Soldato
Am 50 and i waste far more money now then i ever did when i was younger :p

Associate
'Scalpers' actually provide a service to the market by finding the real value of a commodity and by making it available where it would be sold out otherwise.

Soldato

I think it largely depends on ones income. Even at RRP, these cards are for a niche audience and no everyone can’t afford them. At Scalper prices well some can afford them without wincing and some can’t. That money to some (not me) is pocket money and that feeds the market.

Permabanned
Alice was certain the NVIDIA had run in to this hole....

iu

Soldato
All about perspective.

Both AMD and Nvidia launched without any realy stock in the channel, probably to cash in as much as possible on the holiday season and maximise end of year results.

MSRP doesn't include assumptions about transit costs. In a pandemic world freight costs have increased massiviely and from all accounts distributors and retailers are being squeezed by AMD and Nvidia pushing margins.
There are retailer costs for a launch, at one retailer I've already seem multiple 'ex display' cards which have probably been returned by people buying any card that comes avaiable an then using the 14 day cool off period if something better comes along. Examples in the MM here and elsewhere of people selling on 'extra' cards usually at what they paid but above MSRP.

It's a free world, miners are doing noting illegal, distributors and retailers are doing nothing illegal. Even scalpers are doing nothing illegal, lots of people having a lean Christmas this year, if someone can spend the time in front of their PC to grab one and sell it on... well good luck to them.

AMD and Nvidia do not care one bit if cards are available to end customers. They care about the big contracts they sign for server, AI, bulk PC building etc. Retail sales to Gamers mops up the surpless from the supply chain when sales and marketing convince you that you need it right now or offer a little incentive when needed. It's all just hype and alternative truths.

The one I do find frustrating are the organised bots that practically crash a website with tens of thousands of requests.
We do need a better way to manage such sales. Retailers could provide a specific web portal or additional capacha on checkout just for the launch items. Such a service may even result in favourable allocation.
All extra activity has a cost and I think many would be happy to pay a small extra charge for the costs the retailer incurs to make a good launch as long as this is transparent.

Even cards shipped from AMD have a ~£17 or so shipping charge... so are not exactly available at MSRP. I got one in the basket a few days ago but was OOS at checkout.

Supply is very short, demand is exceptionally high, even wiping out stocks of almost all other last gen GPU's.

Vote with your wallet, personally if it's a little bit more expensive right now to have the usage over the Christmas period when I'm forced to have a lot of time off and I'm actually able to use it then I'll pay a bit extra.
If there is nothing until next year then.... so be it.

Associate

The value of money is relative though, 500 quid to me is not the same as 500 quid to someone else. I bought my card in one lump sum, some people are funding it over 12 months etc, Spending 100 quid to me is like some people spending a tenner and conversely someone else's spending of a 1000 pound to them is the same as me spending a tenner. The value of money is relative to how much of it you earn.

Associate
Well, we've certainly got some scalpers in this thread, judging by the excuses being made for what can only be described as a reprehensible practice. You folks know who you are, and so do we. ;)

Associate
What the hell is going on, the 5700xt Red devil was just over £400 odds last week and this week its £529.99, I am sorry, for a last gen card it aint worth that and its a p@*s take increase!

Soldato
I've said this before, and I will continue to say it...

I have a watercooled 1080, it works perfectly fine, doesn't struggle to play any game at 3440x1440 however.....

I want a 3080 because I like new and shiny things, that doesn't mean I'm going to pay over the odds for it from a scalper, I will buy one next year when they're readily available and the hype has died down.

Here's what I don't get, why is there such a draw and hype around them, sure they're cool and its nice to pay less than a 2080ti for more power, but and here's the kicker...

Nobody....nobody NEEDS a 3080, everyone WANTS one and thats the difference, if everyone stopped buying them, even for a few weeks, maybe a month, the scalpers would have to lower their prices because they'd realise that nobody is buying, its simple supply and demand

Associate
I see people who bought the 2080ti for double the price of the previous ti and people buying the 3090 as supporting scalping.

Or just people who have the money to buy the nice things that they want right now! Seems to me it is the people who cant afford to buy one right now complaining? That's fine if you (not you personally Kenny) cant afford the current market prices then wait 6 months for the prices to get somewhere back to normal but those people who bought now will have had an extra 6 months of gaming on the top GPU's for the premium they paid so its swings and roundabouts!

Soldato
I've said this before, and I will continue to say it...

I have a watercooled 1080, it works perfectly fine, doesn't struggle to play any game at 3440x1440 however.....

I want a 3080 because I like new and shiny things, that doesn't mean I'm going to pay over the odds for it from a scalper, I will buy one next year when they're readily available and the hype has died down.

Here's what I don't get, why is there such a draw and hype around them, sure they're cool and its nice to pay less than a 2080ti for more power, but and here's the kicker...

Nobody....nobody NEEDS a 3080, everyone WANTS one and thats the difference, if everyone stopped buying them, even for a few weeks, maybe a month, the scalpers would have to lower their prices because they'd realise that nobody is buying, its simple supply and demand
Yeah i agree... i could have kept old 1070 for a while, and for £370 and four years service it was proper value for money. Factor in what you I got back selling on thats even better. So, a 3080 or 6800XT in 2-3 years time may sell on for £300? Its not all doom and gloom with gpu prices. The frustration with pre-ordering, wating, paying over MSRP, waiting again... thats the choker.

Back
Top Bottom