What retro things have you done today?

Soldato
Here's my 3DFX Group Collection photo, I've been building it up for 3 years now :p

2gw0PBQh.jpg

I actually did some retro activity today for the first time in a few weeks. I bought a Yamaha YMF724 so that my ITX W98/DOS PC at least has real FM synthesis. I've finally worked out how to get SB effects too as my board doesn't support DDMA (or have a SB-Link) so I needed to load a TSR - look at me knowing all these fancy acronyms.

tq008xih.jpg

So I now have pretty good Sound Blaster 16 effects (better than the Live!) and authentic OPL3 (a million times better than a Live!). It's just a shame the on-board GPU and CPU tbh are so weak (I get 38fps on Demo1 on Q3A) otherwise it would make a great small allrounder for retro gaming, what with SETMUL support too.

Soldato
Today I got really annoyed with my Pi 3 sliding around the desk, even in the official case as it's so lightweight. So I screwed standoffs into my (£15) Ikea tabletop. It's a lot easier to use now as it stays still and yes I can still take the SD card out!

whgqbMch.jpg

rmnjlckh.jpg

Soldato
Retropie, mostly for Amiga stuff. I actually bought legal ROMS for it for £1.79 from the Google Play store! Other things too but I don't fancy a forum holiday so I won't say anything else! I do also have a card with just the Raspbian OS on it too so I can dabble in that.

Soldato
stripped cleaned acorn electron. keyboard had to be sent off for repair. all running fine with sd card in plus 1 expansion slot with 300 titles

bbc model b stripped cleaned. psu sent off for repair. have similar micro sd expansion with games.

windows xp installed on core2quad with ssd.. so fast lol. getting some xp games together. will be upgrading gpu to 8800gt

Soldato
One super happy Voodoo 5 5800 Special Edition owner here!
I got the final print for my Voodoo 5 5800 SE box, and completed all the foam cutting and work.

Of course the cards also have custom POST screens with the serial number, and owner's details!

All done!

CUa4ypW.jpg

VdVTvFJ.mp4

cuSxyyE.jpg

EwK8416.jpg

zUNHFOk.jpg
z3eUJMx.jpg
hXbpQeK.jpg

BCdBBJB.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a Retroid Pocket 2 on Saturday night.

Woke up Sunday and wondered if it was the right thing to do.

I think you've made the right decision. Took me a good couple of hours to set up and get it working right but it's definitely a great handheld.

Will take a while to come though; I ordered mine in September and didn't come till the end of October.

What colour combo did you go for?

Soldato
I think you've made the right decision. Took me a good couple of hours to set up and get it working right but it's definitely a great handheld.

Will take a while to come though; I ordered mine in September and didn't come till the end of October.

What colour combo did you go for?

I was tempted to wait for an RG350 with built in wifi, as I assume that will happen eventually. In the end the fact it is android opens the door for easy acess to steam link etc.

I went for the "Retro" colour scheme, basically original gameboy look.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only disappointing thing is the N64 performance is hit and miss. You can get it working but it's not amazing. PS1 though is perfect, and DS works amazing too.

I've got the RS1 (PS1 colours).

There's a really active discord that I'd recommend you join.

Soldato
The Duo RX pad is lovely, if you have seen any about. I have a normal Duo but it needs caps and repairs :(

I’ve only seen pictures of an RX pad, pretty rare. Are you going to fix your DUO? You’d want it done before it’s too late.

It was a Duo I was initially looking at, then I read about the issues. The Duo-R seemed a better bet though it looks a little less cool.

Mine arrived yesterday (4 days to arrive from Japan!) and it’s pristine, so I’m really pleased with it. The picture with the RGB mod and my OSSC looks great, even on a 60” 4K tv which is slightly too big. I picked up a Turbo Everdrive too so now I have access to the full library. Should keep me busy!

Soldato
I’ve only seen pictures of an RX pad, pretty rare. Are you going to fix your DUO? You’d want it done before it’s too late.

It was a Duo I was initially looking at, then I read about the issues. The Duo-R seemed a better bet though it looks a little less cool.

Mine arrived yesterday (4 days to arrive from Japan!) and it’s pristine, so I’m really pleased with it. The picture with the RGB mod and my OSSC looks great, even on a 60” 4K tv which is slightly too big. I picked up a Turbo Everdrive too so now I have access to the full library. Should keep me busy!

I've removed all the caps, slowly adding new ones but some pads have been eaten away :( I have a duo rx pad, the dpad is lovely. The pad on my PC-FX is very similar, but different connector.

Soldato
Only disappointing thing is the N64 performance is hit and miss. You can get it working but it's not amazing. PS1 though is perfect, and DS works amazing too.

I've got the RS1 (PS1 colours).

There's a really active discord that I'd recommend you join.

Have you tried any different 64 emulators? I know the DS emulator that is shipped with it is not as good as others (paid) out there.

Soldato
Have you tried any different 64 emulators? I know the DS emulator that is shipped with it is not as good as others (paid) out there.

I've tried to get N64 to work in RetroArch with no joy at all. MuPen that comes installed is ok and N64oid that comes installed is ok too. Some of the games need a bit of tweaking with different profiles to get them to work well. Downside to N64oid is that you can't use the right stick as the C-buttons but it tends to perform better as an emulator.

For DS emulation I just bought Drastic. Was only £3-£5 and had Google Play Rewards credit. Easy to set up and just plays everything seemingly perfectly.

Soldato
I've tried to get N64 to work in RetroArch with no joy at all. MuPen that comes installed is ok and N64oid that comes installed is ok too. Some of the games need a bit of tweaking with different profiles to get them to work well. Downside to N64oid is that you can't use the right stick as the C-buttons but it tends to perform better as an emulator.

For DS emulation I just bought Drastic. Was only £3-£5 and had Google Play Rewards credit. Easy to set up and just plays everything seemingly perfectly.

Question over Drastic a couple of the Castlevania games I love need touch to activate spells. Can you emulate touch bearing in mind there is no touch screen on the device?

Back
Top Bottom