American Style Fridge Freezer

Soldato
Hi all

Looking for some recommendations or guidance about a fridge-freezer. I want a side-by side unit with no water cooloer or ice maker, not a thinner one either, I think most are 90cm or so wide? Any recommendations on brand or where to buy from - They vary between about £550 to over £1500 but I'm hoping to find a good one around the £800-£900 mark. Initial searching found a Hoover HSBSF 178XK for £900 but Ive seen others much lower and similar in spec (although presumbly not in quality)

Any advice? TIA

- GP

Soldato
I'll just add make sure you really, REALLY want a side-by-side/American Style unit. I've got a Samsung RSG5DUMH and whilst I can't fault the fridge side of things, the lack of drawers/doors on the freezer side is a real pain in the arse.

Sure, the capacity is good, but you can't easily store/stack stuff on the top four drawers (unless you exclusively freeze stuff that comes in cardboard containers/boxes). Bags of produce stored in the top shelves will drop out/not stack well/be securely held in place. The other gripe is the very narrow opening for the freezer can make accessing it a ballache as well.

Just giving my experience with owning one for ~10 years. In hindsight I wish I had gone for a separate ~180cm tall fridge and freezer and simply had them side by side.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. I did see the Haier ones, Im not sure waht they are like as a brand though? I also ideally want full left and right doors. I will be having a chest freezer elsewhere for long term bulk storage of stuff

The idea of just having a seperate tall fridge and freezer though is actually something I legitimately hadn't thought about, ill look in to that too...

- GP

Associate
We went for a Samsung as it came with a 10 year motor warranty (5years on everything else). No frost so far and it's been excellent. Cooling and freezing very very well, and quiet as well.

Well satisfied.

I will thought repeat one of the comments above, note the freezer is a bit narrow, so if you fancy storing large pizzas for example, they won't fit.

Edit: OMG what happened to the prices? :eek::eek: We bought ours for £550 5 years ago. At the time getting two separate side by side appliances (fridge and freezer) was more than double the money, but it seems like nowadays it might cheaper?!

Soldato
OP
Yes a lot of prices are much higher than I thought, I'm wary of buying cheaper models. Saying that buying 2 tall units doesnt seem a lot cheaper, althouh it likley does give more space and is less eggs in one basket. I'm stilll considering both approaches currently

- GP

Edit: What are Hisense like as a brand?

Last edited:
Associate
sorry to drag this up but which Samsung did you go for?

I am looking at RS50N3913SA as it has 5 years warranty, although could do without the water dispense to have more space in the freezer section.

What are the other makes like Beko, Hisense, Haier as they only seem to come with a years warranty so not sure who reliable they are?

Associate
I would definitely ask if you absolutely want a US style as well. We have a US built Maytag and it is solid and cools brilliantly, but as already said it is a really poor design when it comes to freezer storage.

In our previous house we had an AEG fridge and AEG freezer that stood together to make a large side by side fridge/freezer combo. Much more space and far easier to get things in and out of the freezer.

Soldato
OP
I do definitely want one, although it;s on the back burner now as the vendor for my new house is leaving all the white goods, so don't need one jsut yet. I also have a chest freezer going in the garage so mass storage, so that isn't an issue. Ill probably get one when the inside fridge or freezer packs up. Still havnt found one that really fits the bill anyway

- GP

Back
Top Bottom