Monzo/Starling Banking/Revolut

Man of Honour
Been a Starling / Monzo user now for 2+ years. Got rid of Halifax quicker than I could blink.

Only one BIG issue with the app based banks is I can't walk up and withdrawal say £1k if something pops up on Facebook market place that takes my fancy. You have to plan ahead and uses the withdrawal daily limit. Few people do accept bank transfer but it's risky not knowing 100% faster payment works.

Am now starting to move away from Monzo due to the one big issue is no CCV in the app. If you forget your card and are out/cannot find it your stuck doing online shopping.

Starling gives you full control, CS can be a bit Frank and they run directly off a script and can be very robotic.

Halifax well..... 1000 issues to name.
This is why I keep an old Natwest account so if I need to do big withdrawals or deposits as I use monzo I can just transfer it over and withdraw.

With the ccv if it's that much of an issue for you note it down in your phones note app.

Associate
This is why I keep an old Natwest account so if I need to do big withdrawals or deposits as I use monzo I can just transfer it over and withdraw.

With the ccv if it's that much of an issue for you note it down in your phones note app.

I have to use my wife's card if I really need more than £300 cash that's the only downside I can think of with Starling.

The CCV I agree and is now in my phone due to a few instances it's caught me out. Just does not sit right and not really safe storing bank details on my phone, should all be accessable in the app.

Also as well having a few different accounts to make withdrawals/deposits, transfering money back and forth into pots gets confusing reading and viewing statements trying to track transactions and spending. I feel Starling would be perfect if they offered a way to make large deposits/withdrawals. Not sure how they would.

Soldato
i am reading more and more instances from monzo users of being locked out of their accounts for weeks while they investigate fraud. i have been using it for a couple of years but only recently using it full time. i havnt known any high street banks to shut down you bank complete like this. its making me think about going back to my Santander account.

Soldato
i am reading more and more instances from monzo users of being locked out of their accounts for weeks while they investigate fraud. i have been using it for a couple of years but only recently using it full time. i havnt known any high street banks to shut down you bank complete like this. its making me think about going back to my Santander account.

Been using monzo for a few years as my full account and not experienced any of these sorts of issues.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Starling updates!

So I mentioned previously that I was waiting for Starling to roll out additional joint accounts before I did a switch. My intention was to have the additional joint account as a bills account and switch everything to that. However, Starling will only allow you to do a switch to your master joint account which at first I was bummed about. However, in the new joint account when you go into the card tab, you can press a button to switch your existing card to come from that account.

This means I'm doing a full switch to my master joint account and that will become my bills account. The new joint account will be the spending account, I've already hit the button so my card is linked to it.

At the same time they have rolled out some UI changes to support additional accounts. It will take a little getting used to, but it seems nice. Blog post here:

https://www.starlingbank.com/blog/improving-app-navigation/

Soldato
Those with Starling accounts, Do you have a GBP account and a euro one?

Extremely late, but yes. I have a lot of friends in the Euro-zone so it's much easier to have a Euro account too. It avoids the ridiculous PayPal conversion fees and even with the 4% fee it's still a better (or equal) rate to Revolut. Plus, I trust Starling a lot more than I do Revolut!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Monzo getting quite spammy recently, sending all sorts of push notifications. "Fancy a new shiny metal card?" and some more promoting their premium account. I think this reflects exactly why I prefer Starling, trying to entice me with a shiny metal card, come on...you're a bank.

1 Week and I'll have completed my switch to Starling using the switching service.

Soldato
OP
I've not had any updates from Monzo about their new offerings. I only found out about Monzo premium a week or so ago swiping on accident.

I keep toying with switching to Starling as I've been using it a bit more recently but both my and my partner have all our bills coming out of Monzo and like the way it work and also most of our friends also use it which was really good for splitting bills

Does Starling have pots yet? I love that Monzo lets us pay our bills from those pots so we set and forget

Soldato
Monzo getting quite spammy recently, sending all sorts of push notifications. "Fancy a new shiny metal card?" and some more promoting their premium account. I think this reflects exactly why I prefer Starling, trying to entice me with a shiny metal card, come on...you're a bank.

1 Week and I'll have completed my switch to Starling using the switching service.

Got a bit annoyed with this as well.

I'm fine with the Monzo email to outline the new features/new account, but to spam with a push notification isn't on. If people want to have a premium card then they will choose to have one.

Soldato
I've not had any updates from Monzo about their new offerings. I only found out about Monzo premium a week or so ago swiping on accident.

I keep toying with switching to Starling as I've been using it a bit more recently but both my and my partner have all our bills coming out of Monzo and like the way it work and also most of our friends also use it which was really good for splitting bills

Does Starling have pots yet? I love that Monzo lets us pay our bills from those pots so we set and forget
Agreed the pots and bills are the only reason why we are still with Monzo

Soldato

I think that question pops up in this thread quite often, i don't believe they do which is why a lot of Monzo users are hesitant to switch. Pots are a really good idea.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

They are doing things differently. You can now create additional personal and joint accounts, each has a cost of £2pm (I'm OK with this, it's a small amount).

The additional account doesn't come with a new card. You can however instantly "point" your card to use which every additional account you want within joint/personal spaces.

So I've opened a new joint account and renamed it "Spending" and pointed both our joint cards to this account. I've then kicked off an account switch to my existing joint account which will now serve as my bills account. The only downside currently is reoccurring card payments will come out of which ever account you have the card pointed at. Maybe they will give the option for additional cards in the future or virtual cards is more likely you can assign to an account.

It now looks like this:
Bills - my pre-existing joint account, all SO/DD will come from here. The account switch is only possible to the master joint account.

Spending - the new account, where I have our joint cards pointing to, no SO/DD from here, although the reoccurring card payments do come from here, for now. Same issue with Monzo.

Last edited:
Soldato
They are doing things differently. You can now create additional personal and joint accounts, each has a cost of £2pm (I'm OK with this, it's a small amount).

The additional account doesn't come with a new card. You can however instantly "point" your card to use which every additional account you want within joint/personal spaces.

So I've opened a new joint account and renamed it "Spending" and pointed both our joint cards to this account. I've then kicked off an account switch to my existing joint account which will now serve as my bills account. The only downside currently is reoccurring card payments will come out of which ever account you have the card pointed at. Maybe they will give the option for additional cards in the future or virtual cards is more likely you can assign to an account.

It now looks like this:
Bills - my pre-existing joint account, all SO/DD will come from here. The account switch is only possible to the master joint account.

Spending - the new account, where I have our joint cards pointing to, no SO/DD from here, although the reoccurring card payments do come from here, for now. Same issue with Monzo.
That sounds horrifically complicated, is that their formal offering to compete with Monzo pots or is that your workaround?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That sounds horrifically complicated, is that their formal offering to compete with Monzo pots or is that your workaround?

Not sure what's complicated with 1 account for bills and 1 for spending? You can look at the additional account as a pot if that helps :)

Starling haven't said they will do bills from pots, so this is what is possible with their current setup.

Back
Top Bottom