LOTR & Hobbit UHD versions coming soon.

Soldato
OP
My thoughts too. I am holding off from purchasing them on the ATV though incase they release a separate 4k version of each film. Very confused about that one. Hoping the PS5 does Atmos too for the reason you stated. I have a few UHD discs that I got free here but no player yet.

Apple do state they will upgrade their films to 4k, I suppose it's more if they can get the rights for this though. While I am sure someone will, it's more likely to be Amazon if it becomes a format war as they have the TV series coming and Amazon personally sucks I find for movies and no dolby vision.

I just don't want to drop £££ until I can find a bit more information on what this 2021 pack will have and likewise if the PS5 will do vision and atmos.

Otherwise I will just buy them bog standard 4k versions and rip them to MKV. Least that way I can play on my nvidia shield with vision and atmos and it won't mean switching disks halfway through the extended versions either.

Associate
The LotR trilogy was filmed on 35mm I think so there won’t be any upscaling needed.

The CGI effects are being fiddled with and upscaled to 4k too from what I read.

Ah brilliant! I thought I'd read they had used digital cameras that were at the time somewhere between 1080 and 4k. Glad to hear that's wrong.

Associate
Got an email off amazon, informing me that my LOTR 4k Trilogy Steelbook release date has now been revised and that it now being deliver on 16th of November 2020, instead of 30th of November.

update: false alarm just received new email from amazon that says "Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) was changed by the supplier and that it now November 30th"

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ah brilliant! I thought I'd read they had used digital cameras that were at the time somewhere between 1080 and 4k. Glad to hear that's wrong.

Is it not the Hobbit that uses digital? Never seen them yet i was waiting for this 4k master collection but it looks off to me on HD trailers. Bad camerawork too very chop cut cut kind of camerawork which i hate. These are my favourite of all favourites though LOTR Two Towers is the best damm film ever made it has everything and all the memes.

Soldato
The Fellowship of the Ring was shot photochemically on 35mm film in Super 35 format using a variety of Arriflex, Arricam, Mitchell, and Moviecam cameras with Zeiss Ultra Prime and Angenieux Optimo lenses. Only about 70% of the film was finished as a Digital Intermediate at the time, as the process was then new and still evolving (the other 30% was finished traditionally on film). For this new Ultra HD remaster, Park Road Post (a New Zealand post facility owned by WingNut Films) went back and scanned the original camera negative in 4K, then scanned the VFX film-out elements (for VFX shots that were finished on film) in 4K, and upsampled the VFX shots that were finished digitally (in 2K resolution) to create a brand new 4K Digital Intermediate at the proper 2.39:1 aspect ratio. The film’s color was then completely re-graded from the ground up, a process that included new grading for High Dynamic Range (both HDR10 and Dolby Vision options are available on these discs). All of this was personally supervised and approved by director Peter Jackson

Here's a snippet regarding the DI and FX for the new boxset. They've taken the same approach for the other two films from what I understand. Sounds rather good to me! :)

Can't wait to watch this on my OLED TV :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you own the films on Apple TV, the two towers has been upgraded, but the other two have not yet. Not sure why they randomly do this, happened with back to the future as well.

Obviously going to watch them on the disk version for the uncompressed audio etc, but couldn't help myself have a sneak peak and skip to the start of the battle of helm's deep. My oh my, it is absolutely beautiful, really feels like these are brand new modern 2020 films now! The sound as well even though dolby atmos (DD+ compressed) sounded superb when all the arrows were whizzing all over the show.

Can't wait for them to arrive now and make a day of it :D

Soldato
Will probably get them for the spectacle, but Jackson's mutilation of the books does grind my niggle more than a bit. FOTR and the first Hobbit instalment weren't too bad, though the Old Forest/Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs always seem to get omitted from any of the adapttions, even the BBC Radio effort. After that though it goes downhill rapidly with Jackson thinking he can do a better job at story telling than JRR.

Soldato
So want to buy these but might wait for the Middle Earth collection in the summer.

Any word on the Hobbit transfer? I believe it was shot in 5k originally.

Soldato
If you own the films on Apple TV, the two towers has been upgraded, but the other two have not yet. Not sure why they randomly do this, happened with back to the future as well.

Obviously going to watch them on the disk version for the uncompressed audio etc, but couldn't help myself have a sneak peak and skip to the start of the battle of helm's deep. My oh my, it is absolutely beautiful, really feels like these are brand new modern 2020 films now! The sound as well even though dolby atmos (DD+ compressed) sounded superb when all the arrows were whizzing all over the show.

Can't wait for them to arrive now and make a day of it :D

All of them are on Apple TV in 4K now including The Hobbit trilogy.

Soldato
OP
All of them are on Apple TV in 4K now including The Hobbit trilogy.

Yeah, I can't justify watching these though on a streaming platform :p

I need the full dolby atmos true hd and not dd+ haha.

Also they are massive and there's quite a comparison on the streamed versions to the disks ones on a few reviews I've seen floating around.

Soldato
Yeah, I can't justify watching these though on a streaming platform :p

I need the full dolby atmos true hd and not dd+ haha.

Also they are massive and there's quite a comparison on the streamed versions to the disks ones on a few reviews I've seen floating around.

Got a link? I can only find reviews on the actual blu ray.

Back
Top Bottom