• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5820k where's it stand today?

Associate
Skimmed through all the posts on this thread - interesting stuff.

Just to give a 'used' user perspective on all this, I currently run an i7 2600 and came across a used i7 5820k with a warranty for £50.. couldn't resist given several on here report a usable experience still in 2020 (and knowing that i7 2600 experience isn't terrible either for general use). Price probably low due to x99 motherboards now being bit like hen's teeth. Will attempt mild overclock if motherboard allows..

Caporegime
you can actually get really cheap x99 boards because basically a lot of older server stuff got dumped around the world so many new boards for x99 got made. cheap as well.

Associate
Yes, cheap x99s quite difficult to source here in UK (a few expensive used ones).. I've ordered an x99 board, ram and cooler from AliExpress - first time used that site/company - so a bit of an experiment really.

Soldato
Still using mine, it's still good. Only reason I want to upgrade is to improve the lows in certain games. Code vein drops to 70 in the open areas, even all on low. 10th series or zen 3 can push 100 there. Same with some other games, even with only a 1070ti at 1080/144, a lot of areas the lows are on the cpu, especially in multiplayer games where I tend to have settings down as well.

Still completely playable though, so could probably go a few more years, especially if fine with 60fps.

Associate
So as others have said, if all you’re doing is playing games it’s probably mostly fine. It might struggle a bit with some more CPU bound titles, but most modern games aren’t *that* CPU hungry. That said, that’s my recommendation if you’re going for a budget build. If you’re planning to pair that with a 3080 or 6800 I’d call that a bit a silly, if you’re already spending that much on a GPU you might as well get an adequate CPU for it too (though by all means, if you already have the system first check if you’re actually having any problems – first rule of upgrading, don’t upgrade just for the sake of it, upgrade to fix a problem you’re having).

Also just to be clear, modern CPUs are way better than the 2013 models. The question is just if games actually take advantage of that, for which the answer is still mostly "err, not really" especially if you’re playing at higher graphics settings. That’s why it’s not necessarily necessary to upgrade if game performance is all you care about.

Peripheral wise this also limits the kinds of MBs you’re going to get, which’ll limit you in terms of that... but I’m just gonna go on a limp and assume that if you’re being this thrifty with your CPU you don’t feel a strong need e.g. for PCIe 4, more PCIe lanes or USB 3.2 either.

Associate
but I’m just gonna go on a limp and assume that if you’re being this thrifty with your CPU you don’t feel a strong need for PCIe 4 or more PCIe lanes either.

Exactly that: use home pc for light engineering tasks away from work, old games, some home video editing + usual web/email/docs. Hence why i7 2600 more or less is still ok but starting to limit even some old games (long story short: crap sff motherboard with virtually no power to PCI connectors coupled with bespoke hp 240W psu, can't even reliably power a (used of course) gtx1050!!

An i7 5820k has enough pcie 3 lanes for my needs. I could spend more but don't *need to* and actually enjoy the challenge of a thrifty used/aliexpress build :)

Soldato
The issue with the no-name x99 stuff has always been ongoing support/BIOS updates, as long as it works for you, and you go in knowing an RMA isn’t worth it and BIOS updates/fixes are unlikely, then you should be fine. Admittedly at this stage an RMA with any OEM is unlikely. I have a stash of branded x99 boards and CPU’s, it was a great platform, but Ryzen killed it in power and performance terms for the money, a lot of fun was had for not a lot of money with ES/QS Xeon’s though ;)

Associate
The issue with the no-name x99 stuff has always been ongoing support/BIOS updates,

I went for, allegedly, the best x99 from China: huananzhi tf, so we'll see. Like I said, a bit of an experiment. There's even some custom bios updates for it on GitHub so there's that if I'm feeling adventurous!

Associate
Still running a 5820K motherboard died on me a couple of weeks ago and had to resort to evilbay to get it up and running again. waiting on my 5900 and trying to get GPU so I can finally upgrade

Associate
Built the x99 5820k system today: all went smoothly, including transplanting sata3 HDD with windows 10 to the new motherboard. Huananzhi x99 tf motherboard allows easy overclocking in bios with a 5820k: just went for a mild multiplier overclock of 3.8Ghz (all-core or single core boost) with no voltage changes.

Associate
Ran my 5820 at 4.6 no problem now I have replaced the board just cannot get it stable really starting to annoy me but hoping my 5900x should be here next week so I can finally build my new system

Associate
Built the x99 5820k system today: all went smoothly, including transplanting sata3 HDD with windows 10 to the new motherboard. Huananzhi x99 tf motherboard allows easy overclocking in bios with a 5820k: just went for a mild multiplier overclock of 3.8Ghz (all-core or single core boost) with no voltage changes.

Finally settled on an overclock (boost not constant) of 4.1GHz with a 'Snowman' air cooler, Vcore increased slightly by +0.1V (1.15V at 4.1GHz). Then Uncore clock up to x35.

Oddly DDR4 RAM wouldn't do >2133MHz with CPU above 3.9GHz for some reason. At 3.9GHz, was perfectly happy at 2400MHz..

All this got me thinking a bit: Given the 5820k boost clock was originally 3.6GHz, that's quite a decent amount of easily attained performance Intel were keeping from many consumers (until and unless they start fiddling with settings). Why on earth did they market and sell them at only 3.3/3.6GHz - turning the question around, I wonder if there were *any* 5820ks that couldn't get to 4GHz with air cooling?

Man of Honour
All this got me thinking a bit: Given the 5820k boost clock was originally 3.6GHz, that's quite a decent amount of easily attained performance Intel were keeping from many consumers (until and unless they start fiddling with settings). Why on earth did they market and sell them at only 3.3/3.6GHz - turning the question around, I wonder if there were *any* 5820ks that couldn't get to 4GHz with air cooling?

It gives them a wide range to fit in desktop parts from cores that didn't make the grade for the extreme and Xeon variants of the cores. You'll probably find a fair mix of capabilities if you had a few dozen 5820Ks to test.

The Xeons around that era are a completely different beast to the desktop parts - usually run far cooler with a lower VID and the variants that can be overclocked (sadly many models are locked) usually most of them clock like monsters.

EDIT: It also lets them fit inside certain TDPs.

Associate
I had 5820k capable of 4.5 24/7 and max 4.7
i swaped it for 8700k just because i had a pretty good deal.. and its a really good overclocker
this was with 1080ti

i've done a couple of tests on both .. draw your own conclusions :D

RoPrMwj.png

Soldato
Finally settled on an overclock (boost not constant) of 4.1GHz with a 'Snowman' air cooler, Vcore increased slightly by +0.1V (1.15V at 4.1GHz). Then Uncore clock up to x35.

Oddly DDR4 RAM wouldn't do >2133MHz with CPU above 3.9GHz for some reason. At 3.9GHz, was perfectly happy at 2400MHz..

The k series is a unlocked CPU. Your supposed to overclock it. There not keeping anything from the customer.

Not sure if they did a 5820(non k) but they have with lots of other models. You pay extra for the k version

Associate
I've got a 5930k @ 4.2 at the moment and have a new 5800x coming today and im already having buyers remorse do i actually need it!

Before it even comes im tempted to send it all back! i can use my 32gb DDR4 from my x99 setup which is fine but its still 600 quid im not sure i need to spend!

Soldato
It doesn't matter how the 5820k stacks up today. It's either holding you back in games or it isn't.

I'll upgrade my 2600 when I'm unhappy with the framerate.

Some people like 60fps, some like 90fps, some like 144fps, and some like 240fps. It's a personal preference. If you're CPU needs an upgrade then do it.

Questions about whether it "stacks up today" or whether a "difference will be noticed" are pointless and irrelevant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom