high raw read errors and very slow drive

Soldato
so iv just swapped my drive over onto the new ryzen setup and noticed in hdtune my mechanical drive is now racking up very high raw read errors and the drive has become mega slow. its a wd black 1tb. drive was fine earlier today in the old computer. whats up with this?
pic:
hdd1.jpg

hdd2.jpg

hdd3.jpg

its never been anywhere near that slow. and never had read errors, and today in new ryzen setup the read errors racking up like mad.

Last edited:
Soldato
How full is the drive? Raw read error rates aren't usually something to be concerned with. Relocated sectors are at zero, current pending sectors are zero, and offline uncorrectable also showing zero. Those are normally the key indicators of a drives health.

Did you run a benchmark in your old PC for comparison?

Soldato
OP
drive has 300gig free
i did bench it in the old pc but was long time ago.
think i got to the bottom of this issue. i thought it could be dodgey sata cable since i didnt reuse my old ones but since i had a sleep on this i remembered the night before i swapped over to the ryzen setup my kid was playing forza horizon 3 which is installed on this drive and it was very bad in loading times and when driving around the car would freeze while the road was being loaded up. not something iv seen before.
so i cloned the drive to a spare one which is working great.
googling the issue seems to be others with the problem and it is drive related.
new drive benchies:
01-December-2020-06-35.jpg

01-December-2020-06-38.jpg

also turns out the spare drive i had is a crappy wd black thats more like a blue drive in its access times. just cant win these days.

so will give the old drive a full write zeros to and see what happens on the read test. data is backed up except for the games installed on it so would have just lost some time if it popped it.

Soldato
OP
thought id take a look at the old 1tb drive today, still has bad performance with raw read errors going up. iv removed the partitions on the drive and doing a zero fill on it. will then see how it behaves after.

Soldato
it could be a cable issue or unclean seating as reallocated isnt incrementing. But I wouldnt ignore it. Even could be a damaged sata port.

Soldato
OP
odd, full write zeros show no bad sectors and smart shows no pending sectors or any bad ones. performance graph in hdtune is still dodgey.
health-hdd.png

zero-hdd.png

im doing a full surface scan on it now and the raw read errors are going up by a very slow amount. will see if it passes the full surface scan read test. odd how there is no performance dips when doing the full read and write tests.
if it passes then may relegate this drive to storing non critical stuff and use refs file system for some resilience

actually iv just monitored the surface scan test and it is dipping in performance during the reads. not sure why.

Last edited:
Soldato
slow but successful reads means errors are been encountered but error correction is been successful, this smacks of a faulty i/o path.

what happens if you put it back in old system?

Soldato
OP
It passed the read test too and extended smart.
Iv tried it in another pc and still strange issues when reading. Now i wonder if its something with hdtune because hd sentinel and crystal diskmark show performance to be as expected.
Its formatted now and will use for storing some large 100gig files which are non critical, just have to download again if the drive dies.

Back
Top Bottom