The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Associate
Wattbike over the Wahoo and Stages if you are going that route.
Thanks... I started out looking at the Wattbike, but I can't say I'm too impressed with a circa 4 month wait (and having to pay up-front) plus l lack of response to phone calls and emails. Apart from the cost, is there something particular about the Wattbike that would make it worth the wait?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its on version 2 now with a great deal of lessons learned from the Gen 1 implemented its just all around better imo, having tried all three I would take the watt-bike any day of the week. The Wahoo in particularly just felt it would would break in a hard sprint (it wouldn't just felt like it would)

Associate
Mmm, good food for thought, though perhaps a bit academic if you can't actually get hold of one. I'd read (and seen some videos) of the Wahoo 'flexing' and that was one of the reasons for leaning towards the Stages.

Soldato
Almost £1000 more than a Wattbike.

I've had no complaints with my V1 Wattbike. I'm sure the new electro-magnetic drive train will get rid of the little niggles that the first one has (it's a bit annoying that it ramps up the resistance too much when sprinting, and doesn't feel natural at all)

Soldato
Lad on my team previously ranked #1 on Zwift, 1100w sprint and raced neo pro for AG2R.... he's not flexing or having issues on his Kickr Bike. Think you boys will be fine on a KB ;)

I've used many a Wattbike over the years. If it was for general fitness type use I would buy one. But for serious time on the thing and potentially getting into Zwift racing or serious structured training, I would opt for a KB.

Associate
All interesting thoughts. We've had an exercise bike for several years that I've used on and off, and I have been doing about 5 or 6 hours per week since the swimming came to a halt early in the year. I've enjoyed (not sure that's quite the right word) building strength / stamina and chasing new PBs, even if I don't believe the distance and power output that it's telling me, but it's not really been structured and I'm sure Zwift or similar would inject some more fun into it. So I'd say it would be for more than general fitness use, but I doubt I'll be upsetting too many people in Zwift...

The main three I've looked at are:
Wattbike Atom NG: Sure it would do the job nicely, but as mentioned above, it's not available for months, you're expected to pay up front, the company hasn't responded to phone or email enquiries, leaving me wondering what support is like.
Wahoo Kickr bike: the gear / incline display probably too low to read without glasses (I'm short-sighted). Seems to be in stock some of the time. No tablet holder, so would need a table in front which may mean it takes up more room (?)
Stages SB20: stability, quick and easy adjustment (if the wife takes to it), no display but good phone/tablet holder, actually available, some config problems reported but support and ongoing development seems good.
I did look at the Tacx Neo bike but can't quite remember why I ruled that one out now.

So that's why I have been leaning towards the Stages one. In normal times I'd have been finding dealers to try them out but that doesn't seem a great idea currently. I suspect I'd be happy with any of them, but it's a lot of money so am trying to reduce the chances of any feeling afterwards that I'd bought the wrong one! I think I'm still leaning towards the Stages but still open and grateful for further thoughts :)

Man of Honour
Beyond personal preference, I have 2p worth on the Wattbike/etc. debate:

I have only ever used one of the original Wattbikes and their lack of adjustment was a but annoying and the q factor felt more like riding a horse. However, it was A LOT more robust than any bike I have ever ridden and easier to wipe the sweat off and clean... I had more faith in the power numbers, too.

I have not tried a Stages, Wahoo or Tacx bike but know the Tacx bike doesn't need a power source (aside from for motor assistance downhill)...

However, the only reason I'd consider getting a turbo trainer is if you had a bike you wanted condition yourself for, I. E. I have my TT bike on the turbo at the moment to get used to the position.

As to sprinting/stability, if it is a habit I would trust a Wattbike - it is one of the things they are design for.

In summary: if you're training to be fast on the road get your bike on a nice Direct Drive trainer; if just for fitness, then any of those trainer bikes will serve you well.

Soldato
I'm wondering what sort of price people have paid (or seen) for a KickR in the past? The v5 is £999 but the Black Friday (urgh) promo is a free year's subscription to the Sufferfest (which I do pay for), so that saves me £100 in the future.

I know supply/demand at the moment makes discounts unlikely but I'm wondering what price KickRs have been at in the past.

Associate
Cheers for the extra 2ps.

... In summary: if you're training to be fast on the road get your bike on a nice Direct Drive trainer; if just for fitness, then any of those trainer bikes will serve you well.

I'm not trying to use or replicate a road bike, so it's really the latter. The Stages is supposedly very rigid / stable which is my preference, so that's still my target and I'm about to place an order. (It's also got power meters on the cranks, so accuracy should be good too).

If its just for fitness maybe Pelaton (you can look pretty while exercising as well)
The Peloton is a spin bike I think, so not really what I'm after. And no amount of lycra would make them use me in their adverts either :eek:...

Man of Honour
Eurgh... Just finished "TT Tune Up" last nights with a bit of a whimper - had to bail on the vast majority of the workout because my legs were shot to pieces.

Saturday was a series of hard efforts, and then having "Power Intervals 4" straight after was too much.

Will see what the overall programme has done for those FTPs, but the last two weeks are just too many big efforts, too close to each other for me, sadly... Particularly at the end of 8 weeks of a lot of hard cycling. I think I would definitely do it again, but probably miss out the last two weeks...

*I did swap turbo bikes just after it got ridiculously hard, but I think I was done before the bikes got changed...

Soldato
Eurgh... Just finished "TT Tune Up" last nights with a bit of a whimper - had to bail on the vast majority of the workout because my legs were shot to pieces.

Saturday was a series of hard efforts, and then having "Power Intervals 4" straight after was too much.

Will see what the overall programme has done for those FTPs, but the last two weeks are just too many big efforts, too close to each other for me, sadly... Particularly at the end of 8 weeks of a lot of hard cycling. I think I would definitely do it again, but probably miss out the last two weeks...

*I did swap turbo bikes just after it got ridiculously hard, but I think I was done before the bikes got changed...

Did that "TT Tune Up" at the start of the year, I found the first few weeks very doable including doing some short Zwift races and TTs. From around week 4 it got tough to combine the workout with other stuff and was absolutely brutal by around week 7.

Gave me a great fitness boost at the time, but then Covid and other health issues had other plans for the remainder of 2020!

Associate
I’ve been generally doing the medium sweet spot tempo or Johns Mix, depending on how long I have. Is it generally ok to do this? I’m guessing I’ll see improvements doing any cycling regularly at my level (ftp 223 on ramp, but I think it flatters me, so currently set to 210 with 2.5 W/kg).

edit - I can only cycle twice a week due to work commitments, so usually mid week and one at weekend

Last edited:
Soldato
Doing the "pro" invite Tour of the Gila on RGT this weekend.
36KM crit at 23:00 on Friday night.
49KM/1039m on Saturday.
74KM/1214m on Sunday.

Pain.

Soldato
Brutal one on sunday. Went for a longer race again, but this one a much more manageable 64km/40mi. Still utterly brutal!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4408754049
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=1276429

Spent the first 2 laps trying to thin the group after some earlier closing efforts to grow it as I'd set off fairly reserved/easy from the gate and hadn't worked to get in the front group(s) (probably a mistake). Middle part I was just managing my effort, couple of closes to stop the other couple of B rides distancing the group of mostly C's, while I sat in for the final. Final lap a couple of efforts to hurt riders again and make the B's chase me. We caught a couple of stronger from up the road in the last lap, one of the B's from there and 1 C beat me in the sprint after I went quite long. I maybe should've tried a breakaway from the rollers but my legs and sprint where a bit of an unknown at that point, as the rollers had hurt me every lap. Think I came in 18th, happy with that considering everyone upfront had mostly been in massive groups due to the mixed cats.

I know supply/demand at the moment makes discounts unlikely but I'm wondering what price KickRs have been at in the past.
They where doing refirbs from the previous year (before they made them silent, whichever Version that was) alongside the Core. Think they where the same price at £599 or £699, something like that. Might have been 2018 versions but I may have that wrong and they where 2017 ones. Not aware of them being cheaper, apart from S/H.

I'm not trying to use or replicate a road bike, <snip> The Peloton is a spin bike I think, so not really what I'm after.
Finding it quite hard to read and judge what you're after... From the way you're talking - you're after more than something to do some intense cardio on, more than a 'gym machine' to use alongside other things, yet you have no experience and don't want to use a road bike, so not overly interested in a smart trainer for use with something like Zwift (which the smart bikes you're listing are aimed at).

I do think a Wattbike gives you more flexibility, alongside other smart bikes for Zwift work they may not be the first choice, but as a stable, dependable and solid tool for other things than Zwifting (like more gym/cardio/spin things) they're more suited.

The guys I know with Stages bikes there does seem to be a large cross section of them who've had problems. Although they seem to be resolved quickly, certainly hear of less issues with the Kickr bikes, but probably have less people I know on them. Being part of 3R I am exposed to quite a large cross-section of the high end of trainer and turbo Zwift users, especially those racing a lot. Equally probably many of them early adopters of the Stages as that came out & shipped first... Know quite a few riders with 'Smart bikes' and a Neo as a secondary/backup, so quite serious about their setups and numbers.

Could be a position change didn't help once the strain was ramping up, after lots of conditioning/base on the earlier setup...?

Here is what happened to GCN when they got a special entry into our league last Tuesday :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2jLmb-6xq4
I ROFFELLED at that so much, I had to watch it twice. And all the follow up videos where it keeps popping up/getting mentioned and you can see the pain memories still in their faces. Excellent! :D

I hadn't seen that drop on YT, so cheers for the link - very funny. "Flogging himself like a rented mule" :D
So many good quotes in there, they brought good humour to it thankfully, but a big part of that is probably some of them dropping early so it was far less serious. Bit surprised Dunne dropped so early, but equally fair play to Si for sticking it in the front group and being one of the last dropped. I'll echo some of the YT comments, but it Just shows what a class rider he is. Bit of a shame Dan didn't ride it mind you, would be good to see how he fared.

@Roady joined all those December challenges along with you and Dan. Now... to some how manufacture an extra 5 hours a day to do them in..
Haha tell me about it. I tend to just add myself to them when they pop on my Strava news feed, so apologies it might suddenly be a 'surge' the start of most months, but only because that's how they all appear on mine... I do only try to add myself to those I actually 'like' the idea of and those I'll actually think I have a chance of completing...

I’ve been generally doing the medium sweet spot tempo or Johns Mix, depending on how long I have. Is it generally ok to do this? I’m guessing I’ll see improvements doing any cycling regularly at my level (ftp 223 on ramp, but I think it flatters me, so currently set to 210 with 2.5 W/kg).

edit - I can only cycle twice a week due to work commitments, so usually mid week and one at weekend
Anything helps! Any kind of regular intensity will do masses for your base fitness and sustained power figures. Some of those short sessions are BRUTAL - and that's why they can give you a massive boost! If you reach the point of plateau'ing then try changing one of them (when/if you have the time) for a lower intensity and longer more 'base' orientated rides. Some of the 1-2 hour group lead rides on Zwift will have 'mini races' or sprints in them too, so you can get the best of both worlds.

Doing the "pro" invite Tour of the Gila on RGT this weekend.
36KM crit at 23:00 on Friday night.
49KM/1039m on Saturday.
74KM/1214m on Sunday.

Pain.
Ow. That sunday one is going to be brutal! :o

Unless it's of course some longer climb and you can put the world of hurt on others! Goodluck! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom