• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3060Ti

Soldato
Nvidia have confirmed constrained supply until Q1 2021 at the earliest , and likewise AMD are selling everything they can make , with the bulk of the 40,000 wafers per month they get from TSMC going on the consoles. Yes, AMD are now TSMC biggest customer.

Caporegime
It was = to the 2070 which was $100 more expensive, it was ok. i say ok because the 2070 was overpriced, a lot.

And this looks like it's brought 2080 Super performance down two tiers and improved upon price/performance currently available.

I think it's the best launch of the lot at the moment.

In a very poor selection of GPU's

Soldato
I just checked HU review and he concludes that "The 3060 Ti technically doesn't support RTX as it cant deliver an acceptably level of gaming performance (at 1440p) when enabled, even with the help of DLS"
So if RTX is something you want to use at 1440p, it does seem like you need to go a tier higher as I suspected.
I don't really have any idea what that Steve is talking about. The only RT game he tested was Watch Dogs: Legion and he found it got 53fps on average with Ultra RT and DLSS. That seems "acceptable" enough with the rest of the game settings on Ultra too. No doubt there's a few non-RT things you can turn down to get it to 60fps, which is something that you should be expecting to do if you're buying an x60-class card anyway. The Gamers Nexus review also tested it in several other RT titles and it posted more than acceptable performance at 1440p with RT and DLSS enabled.

Associate
I get that these will be more expensive than the FE due to possible better cooling / potential overclockability but £100 extra is taking the p@ss, thats just price gouging! The FE versions will probably be out of stock in about 3 seconds so the likes of Gigabyte, MSI, etc know that.

Soldato
Ha, that must rankle with Nvidia. Wonder if thats why they went with Samsung for 3xxx?

Its been mentioned elsewhere - its down to cost. TSMC wont discount and its nearly $10,000 per wafer for 7nm (and $17,000 for 5nm , Apple has 100% of TSMC capacity for 5nm). For Samsung that figure drops to around $6000 per 8nm wafer; therefore Nvidia came earn far more money even though they get less gpu cores per wafer. TSMC are sold out , which is why i genuinely dont expect Nvidia to move on to TSMC 7nm anytime soon, as its believed that when Apple close down 7nm - AMD have a supply contract already to use that capacity.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems it's a worth while upgrade from 1070.

However probably be no stock and the price will have hundreds added to it to point you may as well buy a 3070

Man of Honour
Is the 2pm sale guaranteed?

Nope - but most of the drops are between 2pm and 4pm for the FE cards - launches have been 1pm recently due to the clock changes.

Its been mentioned elsewhere - its down to cost. TSMC wont discount and its nearly $10,000 per wafer for 7nm (and $17,000 for 5nm , Apple has 100% of TSMC capacity for 5nm). For Samsung that figure drops to around $6000 per 8nm wafer; therefore Nvidia came earn far more money even though they get less gpu cores per wafer. TSMC are sold out , which is why i genuinely dont expect Nvidia to move on to TSMC 7nm anytime soon, as its believed that when Apple close down 7nm - AMD have a supply contract already to use that capacity.

Those were the prices earlier in the year - I believe it is now over $10K per wafer currently on TSMC 7nm.

Soldato
Hmm... Sort of interesting to see what kind of GPU you can get for a bit more than what I payed for my R9 390 5 years ago (including inflation).

If it's anything like the other founders edition GPUs, they might only produce them for 2-3 weeks, then get AIBs to produce the rest (speculation).

AMD will probably release the 6700 GPUs shortly after, priced similarly to the last gen 5700 XT and 5700.

The 6700 is likely to be very similar to the PS5 GPU in performance, since it will probably have the same number of CUs (36).

2-3 weeks :confused: their UK partner site are still selling FE cards on a weekly basis.

Back
Top Bottom