• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Which is the better visual upgrade, HDR 10 or Ray Tracing?

Which is the better visual upgrade, HDR 10 or Ray Tracing?

• HDR 10

Votes: 95 65.1%
  • Ray Tracing

Votes: 51 34.9%

• Total voters
Permabanned
Personally, I keep getting bigger and bigger monitors that use all the available GPU power to run. Ray Tracing and HDR just don't seem as important as raw fps at higher and higher resolutions.

Soldato
I've no doubt there is better than what i have (Samsung CRG90 5120x1440)
xqxsxpx.png

But, it still is a massive upgrade from a non HDR display.

I also need a display that can sit on a desk, to be used for browsing and working with multiple Excel spreadsheets etc. Ultra wide is great for that.

10,000 was good a few years back, but things have moved on since then. :p

That your panel you are using for the HDR arguement. Response times one of the slowest for a VA panel with AVERAGE G2G times of 13ms+ and HDR reviewed as crap as it has 10 vertical dimming zones?

Heard it all now. YOU have never seen true HDR pal. This is what this thread you started is

AMD employee finds tiny clip of something on the internet where some channel that gets paid from making videos for clicks - answers a Q from an email - finishes for this guys opinion as a p[reference for HDR if it's done well.

Puts question on forum - then assumes knowingly that 90% that voted for RT haven't seen HDR properly. Then posts own monitor.

Can't believe you actually put this in a forum for all to see. LOL.

You mates with 4k8k?

Caporegime
OP
That your panel you are using for the HDR arguement. Response times one of the slowest for a VA panel with AVERAGE G2G times of 13ms+ and HDR reviewed as crap as it has 10 vertical dimming zones?

Heard it all now. YOU have never seen true HDR pal. This is what this thread you started is

AMD employee finds tiny clip of something on the internet where some channel that gets paid from making videos for clicks - answers a Q from an email - finishes for this guys opinion as a p[reference for HDR if it's done well.

Puts question on forum - then assumes knowingly that 90% that voted for RT haven't seen HDR properly. Then posts own monitor.

Can't believe you actually put this in a forum for all to see. LOL.

You mates with 4k8k?
Are you feeling okay? You seem pretty riled up.

I can see you want an argument, but it's just opinions.

Take a deep breath and calm down. :)

This is golden. Love the backslapping and comradery :D
Some heads have gone here, oh dear. :p

Soldato
Ray Tracing, it's the future
HDR, we've had it for years now and it can only enhance what's already there, which is baked and faked lighting

jumping from quake 2 rtx to rasterization only games like say destiny 2 is a bit of a shock as it really highlights how fake they look
also PC hdr is pretty pants, a lot of games don't use it correctly and most monitors are lol worthy at displaying it atm (owner of lg 38GN950-B monitor & lg oled tv)

Soldato
Hard for me to say as I've only experienced little bits of ray tracing in spider man on PS5.

However the bits it has are bloody great! HDR though I really do find makes a massive difference.

I need to see more games with RT to judge, no way for me to see it on PC as GPU I have doesn't have the ability for RT

Soldato
Never heard of HDtest will take a look. As I said before Destiny looks great in HDR but Division 2 the black levels are wrong, all washed out and dull. It looks massively worse in HDR and no matter what I do I cannot get it to work correct. You know how washed out the screen goes when you set RGB to limited. That is how HDR Division 2 looks for a lot of people. Even though its on RGB full it feels and looks like RGB limited.

I could say the same for Ray Tracing. It feels like people don’t understand the question and have not seen proper ray tracing in motion. Ideally you want both but if I had to choose it would be Ray Tracing all the way.

I haven't had chance to watch this vid but chance are he will go deep into the HDR settings and tell ya best way to set it up.
https://youtu.be/sAMKhgbN9lM

Caporegime
OP
Projection, love it.

Have a lie down. And put AMD back in front - it'll make more sense.
I'm glad you've calmed down, there really is no need to get some emotional over someone having a different opinion to you.

Feel free to disagree sure, but getting confrontational over it is completely unnecessary.

Soldato
Hardware Unboxed feel that HDR 10 is the better visual upgrade and I'm inclined to agree having used both. There's also the fact that HDR does not have a performance cost.

Currently using a Vesa Certified DisplayHDR 1000 display for testing.

xqxsxpx.png

Question at 7:22.

Please can the holy dons/mods turn this into a Poll.

Options:

HDR 10
Ray Tracing
HDR has 2-5% performance hit, its minor but it is their, RDR2 with HDR on on the xbox one X and my pc both runs worse with HDR on.

Back
Top Bottom