What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Finally completed the walls in the lounge. Had to do 3 coats of Dulux Polished Pebble over what was quite light magnolia looking original paint. It just didn't look right with 2 coats. 3 definitely much better.

I've promptly ruined the area above the fireplace whilst trying to fit a mirror and left scratches on the wall. That blue is not very forgiving with scratches. So will have to go over it with another coat on that wall now.
Looks like the same blue as i was painting last week

Dulux Sapphire salute Dulux Easycare Sapphire salute Matt Emulsion paint 2.5L | DIY at B&Q

Soldato
Not sure it counts as a Man Job, but i was fed up using the kitchen counter after 8 months of WFH, and it looks like it'll go on a little longer yet. Didn't want to buy a desk, so got some Birch Ply from the shed and stuck a few legs on it.

It's pretty wobbly. It really needs a cross brace along the back, but i didn't have a piece of wood long enough to hand. Im hoping that sorts it!

It's also not sanded properly and it covered in saw dust from being in the shed. My wife is definitely not a fan.

0A8psRv.png

Soldato
Not sure it counts as a Man Job, but i was fed up using the kitchen counter after 8 months of WFH, and it looks like it'll go on a little longer yet. Didn't want to buy a desk, so got some Birch Ply from the shed and stuck a few legs on it.

It's pretty wobbly. It really needs a cross brace along the back, but i didn't have a piece of wood long enough to hand. Im hoping that sorts it!

It's also not sanded properly and it covered in saw dust from being in the shed. My wife is definitely not a fan.

0A8psRv.png
I think I prefer the desk to the mouse pad! Looks like neat enough work to me. Isn't it a sort of coffee table height though?

Soldato
It's probably a little low for me. I googled average desk height and everything seemed to suggest ~90cm so i went with that.

I'm debating painting the legs white, but then it means i can't re-use the wood as easily!
A cheapskate after my own heart :D

Just checked and my desk is 73cm, my workbench is 96.

apg

apg

Associate

0A8psRv.png

Now thats a propa table.

Soldato
With the guidance of my builder neighbour, I’ve repaired an oak beam which supports the living room floor that had some woodworm damage to the sap wood at one end of the beam.

Basically you sandwich the bad end of the beam between two slabs of oak or Douglas fir that help to take the load. I’ll post photos if I can figure how to upload photos from an iPhone.

Soldato
Not myself but finally the carpet fitters have done the lounge. Last week they did the loft conversion, stairs and landing and my office space in the same carpet.

Now just waiting on the silver/grey sofa and armchair to arrive and this room is done

Associate
Made a few xmas presents out of some scrap wood I had in the shed. Quite pleased with the result.

Dave

ACtC-3fcBD3BFM4pirw_xGzMAzDOxGfYVu-AduvfFLBfL18ytUdvNGbcCus5KIF-6ziN8b4UL04MNWDgOInLzhbY9NJW31GYG8E7jTWZm3A-y0b8-C7gGxTkLativL_8Wgxx41yfTUQWeGb5yRXNXIO2im6KQw=w1406-h937-no

ACtC-3c7RJRoNGlPL88tuxw3dvc2wiYQPVPGKi5jykwwPo-QUfZWeF55Adl72e6qQZygS7qtZuAC-6AEgROElwigcoaFlvWCQTaGd1mvvSx1M1-msy42AQ60hf2HRn5BT9hRgAQ5wBZN_dhTuOqSVOGhh4soXg=w703-h937-no

Soldato
Did some boarding above utility for storage, first time I've used loft legs, not sure if trust standing in them also realised maybe my dad was right about wearing a facemask as I did have a bit of a coughing fit:p. Also built a shoe storage cupboard which looks quite smart.

Soldato
Tried to install a new light in the bedroom. I should have learnt when I tried to change the light in the living room three months ago. Once I unscrew the existing rose and met with more wires than expected i bottle it. So I called an electrician and they’ve quoted me £50 for installation of both.

Got herringbone laminate put down in both bedrooms, going to try and laminate the storm door flooring with the oft cuts...

Soldato
Tried to install a new light in the bedroom. I should have learnt when I tried to change the light in the living room three months ago. Once I unscrew the existing rose and met with more wires than expected i bottle it. So I called an electrician and they’ve quoted me £50 for installation of both.

If you posted a picture I'm sure people could help. £50 sound about right though, its simply not worth doing the job for less.

Soldato
If you posted a picture I'm sure people could help. £50 sound about right though, its simply not worth doing the job for less.

I dare say, and if it was much more I probably would have cracked on but for £25 a light it seems worth doing. Both lights are big and have lots of metal, I’d worry about making the whole thing live. It’s a tenement flat so super high ceilings and older wires complicate things.

Back
Top Bottom