*** The official beard thread ***

Caporegime
What oils do you guys use for your beards?

I been trying out the Bulldog one. Not too bad.

Was thinking of giving their beard wash and conditioner a try.

Probably best just to use coconut oil. I've tried many and they smell nice but a lot of them irritate my eyes if I can't wash all of it off my hands and then rub my eye hours later.

Capodecina
Soldato
What oils do you guys use for your beards?

I been trying out the Bulldog one. Not too bad.

Was thinking of giving their beard wash and conditioner a try.

I've been using the Bulldog oil for months because it's reasonably priced, readily available and does its job well enough.

As for washing, I just use any half decent shampoo and conditioner these days, I'm not that picky.

Soldato
My beard is so wirey now, and bushy. Mrs ik9000 put a hairband in it the other day. It's like a topknot but on my chin. Hurts too after a while. There is enough there now to also put a proper parting in it and do an inverse bram-stoker's dracula look. I'm going to either have to get this thing styled by someone or have it shorn off. It's becoming too unruly.

Caporegime
My beard is so wirey now, and bushy. Mrs ik9000 put a hairband in it the other day. It's like a topknot but on my chin. Hurts too after a while. There is enough there now to also put a proper parting in it and do an inverse bram-stoker's dracula look. I'm going to either have to get this thing styled by someone or have it shorn off. It's becoming too unruly.

Styling usually involves cutting at the neckline never the chinline otherwise you look like a Guido.

Then either fading at the edges is optional.

And trimming stray hairs so that everything is the same length. Rather than clippering everything to the same length just cut the stragglers.

Not a lot to it. Fading is the hardest part but I managed fine even on my first attempt. Just use several guards and I think I marked 1cm spaces for each guard to blend to using wife's eyeliner which wiped / washed off after. After that I didn't even bother using marks and just used prominent features of my ears to line up with.

Soldato
I've been using the Bulldog oil for months because it's reasonably priced, readily available and does its job well enough.

As for washing, I just use any half decent shampoo and conditioner these days, I'm not that picky.

Please tell me beard shampoo. Not normal hair shampoo.

My current go to's

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PRORASO-Beard-Shampoo-Cypress-Vetyver/dp/B01LYZE9EN Beard wash

Oils

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Certified-...l+beard+oil&qid=1606927724&s=drugstore&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MISSION-BE...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Leave in Conditioner

https://www.amazon.co.uk/REUZEL-BEA...s=reuzel+beard&qid=1606927896&s=beauty&sr=1-5

Soldato
thanks I'll check those out. It's either improve this hedge or it'll have to go. It's too brillo-pad like for me at the moment.

Associate
Please tell me beard shampoo. Not normal hair shampoo.

What's wrong with 'hair' shampoo?

I use whatever my wife has for her hair. Some big pump bottles from a salon. Seems to do the job fine and beard feels healthy/soft. I tend to only shampoo/condition once, rarely twice a week.

I'll give those oil's you linked a try. Here is another from amazon that I like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beard-Guild-Premium Pretty much what I use daily at the moment. Right up there with some more expensive oils I have used.

Soldato
What's wrong with 'hair' shampoo?

I use whatever my wife has for her hair. Some big pump bottles from a salon. Seems to do the job fine and beard feels healthy/soft. I tend to only shampoo/condition once, rarely twice a week.

I'll give those oil's you linked a try. Here is another from amazon that I like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beard-Guild-Premium Pretty much what I use daily at the moment. Right up there with some more expensive oils I have used.

Hair shampoo removes all the natural oils from your hair.. Something you don't really want with your beard.

https://www.thebrightonbeardcompany.co.uk/blogs/news/116172996-beard-shampoo-vs-regular-shampoo

Soldato
Hair shampoo removes all the natural oils from your hair.. Something you don't really want with your beard.

just stop shampooing your beard and let the natural oils do their job....er… naturally, instead of wasting money on artificial chemical oils, shampoos and conditioners. :rolleyes:

Soldato
just stop shampooing your beard and let the natural oils do their job....er… naturally, instead of wasting money on artificial chemical oils, shampoos and conditioners. :rolleyes:

Er No thanks... Thats a bit gross. I'm not a fan of leaving food and drink in my beard. So I wash it regularly.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Everyone's skin and the amount of natural oil secreted is different.

Therefore whatever works for you won't work for everyone else.

If you have no issues using shampoo then I see no reason not to use it.

Alternatively if you get dry skin, extremely itchy and spots it could be a sign of too much or too little oil.

It's best you find what works for you.

Coconut oil is a wonder product. Can be used for a lot of different things from cooking to moisturiser to healing wounds. It's natural doesn't need chemicals or heat to be extracted unlike a lot of other oils. It's a much more natural product.

Soldato
Beard shampoo recommendations folks? I know there will be a good few suggestions within this thread but what are your favorites? Currently using Bulldog shampoo but was thinking of trying the L'Oreal 3-1 Shampoo/Conditioner stuff as its about the same price?

Capodecina
Soldato
Beard shampoo recommendations folks? I know there will be a good few suggestions within this thread but what are your favorites? Currently using Bulldog shampoo but was thinking of trying the L'Oreal 3-1 Shampoo/Conditioner stuff as its about the same price?

I use Dove :p

When I started growing a beard I used all the trendy products, now I just use whatever I can get my hands on for a good price. It doesn't bother me and I don't notice much of a difference.

Soldato
Top tip before growing a beard, is to have about a days growth, and apply hair removal cream (No competitor discussion!) to it. This dissolves the sharp cut hair ends into rounded tips. So no itchy scratchy feeling as it start to grow.

Caporegime
Capodecina
Soldato
Top tip before growing a beard, is to have about a days growth, and apply hair removal cream (No competitor discussion!) to it. This dissolves the sharp cut hair ends into rounded tips. So no itchy scratchy feeling as it start to grow.

I'm am sorry but putting hair removal cream on your face?

EDIT: OK, there are special facial ones too made by VEET and NAIR.

Back
Top Bottom