• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Where have all the graphics cards gone?

Associate
Or just people who have the money to buy the nice things that they want right now! Seems to me it is the people who cant afford to buy one right now complaining? That's fine if you (not you personally Kenny) cant afford the current market prices then wait 6 months for the prices to get somewhere back to normal but those people who bought now will have had an extra 6 months of gaming on the top GPU's for the premium they paid so its swings and roundabouts!

Found one! What's your bay page then fella, care to share the listing? :D

Associate
Or just people who have the money to buy the nice things that they want right now! Seems to me it is the people who cant afford to buy one right now complaining? That's fine if you (not you personally Kenny) cant afford the current market prices then wait 6 months for the prices to get somewhere back to normal but those people who bought now will have had an extra 6 months of gaming on the top GPU's for the premium they paid so its swings and roundabouts!

What makes you think I couldn't afford them? If a 1080ti was worth £720 how does it make sense for 2080ti to cost double? I just have moresense than money.

By your rationale because a billionaire could afford to pay 1 million for a bacon sandwich thats how much they should be!

Associate
Found one! What's your bay page then fella, care to share the listing? :D

Haha lol wish I had one, I wouldn't hesitate to make some free money! Actually I could make even more as I don't pay the VAT either but sadly I am waiting for a 6800xt like everybody else! However with no VAT I could stump up £1200 and get a 3090 maybe? Might try and bag a 6900xt but that will be another **** show!!

Associate
Scalpers....you mean an individual or business that inflates the price of a product for no other reason than to make a quick buck out of consumers desperation?.

Yes, look at OCUK here who are selling 5700XT for £529.99. Absolutely crackers. Same card at a competitor is £420.

Soldato
It actually bolsters the economy, due in part to the circular flow of income.

It only takes advantage of people that are too dense to realise that they shouldn't be buying something they can't afford, which applies to any product or service.

You can't legislate this and maintain a relatively free market. The same thing happens with any commodity in short supply; resellers charge more. OcUK are doing it. People on eBay are doing it. The market is operating as expected, being a function of all the variables at play.

As for fines: some of the 'scalpers' might have no job and are trying to make a quick buck to help pay for their family's Christmas; doesn't this fine proposal go against your deep concern for the 'vulnerable' (thick) people buying GPUs they cannot afford?

I have more sympathy for the entrepreneurially creative tbh.

I understand where you're coming from, but what I don't understand is how can scalping of concert/event tickets be made illegal yet scalping tech (or anything else for that matter) be justifiable? The cynical in me thinks that only the pressure from artists pushed through this legislation, however the law helps people avoid paying massively over the odds for something. Why can't the same apply to this?

Associate
It actually bolsters the economy, due in part to the circular flow of income.

It only takes advantage of people that are too dense to realise that they shouldn't be buying something they can't afford, which applies to any product or service.

You can't legislate this and maintain a relatively free market. The same thing happens with any commodity in short supply; resellers charge more. OcUK are doing it. People on eBay are doing it. The market is operating as expected, being a function of all the variables at play.

As for fines: some of the 'scalpers' might have no job and are trying to make a quick buck to help pay for their family's Christmas; doesn't this fine proposal go against your deep concern for the 'vulnerable' (thick) people buying GPUs they cannot afford?

I have more sympathy for the entrepreneurially creative tbh.

I think the point is that they're not always able to, but do it anyway.

Doesn't your last quote only reinforce the first one?

People with little money charging hundreds of pounds to help fund their family's Christmas should lower their expectations.

There is no justification for the actions of these scalpers, though the manufacturers also need to shoulder their level of responsibility for releasing such a paltry amount of products into the market to begin with, including consoles.

Associate
I understand where you're coming from, but what I don't understand is how can scalping of concert/event tickets be made illegal yet scalping tech (or anything else for that matter) be justifiable? The cynical in me thinks that only the pressure from artists pushed through this legislation, however the law helps people avoid paying massively over the odds for something. Why can't the same apply to this?

You hit the nail on the head, artists pushed for change, and artists have a lot of money combined with influence. If tech had people like that rooting for it, then you would see laws brought in very quickly indeed.

Associate

Rubbish. Unfortunately a lot of people are buying these cards on credit with no way of paying for it and sticking them on Ebay for a quick profit. If it works great if not send in the bailiffs. Debt is too cheap and that's what fueling this madness and eventually that debt mountain will come crashing down, literally.

I've worked in Financial Services for nearly 40 years and I understand value for money in investing. It doesn't matter how much you earn if something is worth £600 and it's selling for £850 it's not worth buying. My Investment portfolio has gone up 3% in the last two days so netting me £15,000 but I still won't pay scalper prices. My parents taught me the value of money because they had little. I've tried to pass that onto my two kids because it's an important life lesson.

The more you pay for less value the sooner you'll become one of those who can't afford it because the price will eventually go so high you can't afford to buy. It becomes a vicious circle unfortunately. I personally work out what something is worth based on it's price/performance and If I thinks it's over valued I won't buy it. Its easy really when you think about it. Its got nothing to do with wealth it's just common financial sense.

Soldato
Rubbish. Unfortunately a lot of people are buying these cards on credit with no way of paying for it and sticking them on Ebay for a quick profit. If it works great if not send in the bailiffs. Debt is too cheap and that's what fueling this madness and eventually that debt mountain will come crashing down, literally.

I've worked in Financial Services for nearly 40 years and I understand value for money in investing. It doesn't matter how much you earn if something is worth £600 and it's selling for £850 it's not worth buying. My Investment portfolio has gone up 3% in the last two days so netting me £15,000 but I still won't pay scalper prices. My parents taught me the value of money because they had little. I've tried to pass that onto my two kids because it's an important life lesson.

The more you pay for less value the sooner you'll become one of those who can't afford it because the price will eventually go so high you can't afford to buy. It becomes a vicious circle unfortunately. I personally work out what something is worth based on it's price/performance and If I thinks it's over valued I won't buy it. Its easy really when you think about it. Its got nothing to do with wealth it's just common financial sense.

I think sleepy stu's first sentence covered it.

Worth is only equal to what someone will pay for something. At this time, more than you want/can afford.
Hence why there's no cards available for you to buy, according to your worth of them. You may get one for £600 new, but you'll have a long wait. Check 9, 10 & 20 series prices at release RRP to the time they ended up being RRP again. Lockdown, WFH a new range of cards are a premium to PC gamers, same as bicyles and home gym equipment.

Never gamed so much since March. 3080 - 'avvin that at eight fiddy! Why? coz I can, and I like it, and the pleasure of rewarding yourself if a little out of your usual luxury limit will give me more of a buzz than, not buying one from £15k I made in 2 days. Must be fun in your house.;)

Associate

ticket touting law is very narrow and ONLY covers designated football matches, nothing else.

scalping is here to stay, so just deal with that fact.

oh look someone bought a mclaren limited edition for 2£ mill and 2 years later is reselling it for 5£ mill.

scalper.

Associate

You have literally contradicted yourself. You have bought investments at a certain price which have now gone up in value and (although you have said you don't want to) you could now sell them and make a profit. Person buys graphics card which due to supply and demand has now gone up in value and is selling for a profit!

If people didn't buy anything at an increased value you would never make any money on your investments as in your argument you bought them at the correct value but anybody buying them now is paying over the value of what they are worth!

Associate
I bought a 1650 Super a few months back for Zwift in the garage. Surprise surprise, I barely used it so I ebayed it - it auctioned for more than a new one. The graphics card market is a very strange place right now.

Back
Top Bottom