Windows 10 Slow Startup

Associate
Hello folks

I'm recently noticing my Windows 10 (1909) startup taking longer than normal.

I have a i7 5820, 32gb RAM, with Samsung EVO SSDs.

It used to be pretty nippy, starting up up in around 17 seconds (as measured in Task Manager and Glary).
Now its taking over a minute.

I recently added a new EVO 1TB SSD, but Windows is still where it always was. And I've checked in BIOS and it's not trying to boot from the new SSD first.

I also recently added a new USB keyboard (Microsoft 600).

I'm looking at these two recent additions because otherwise I can't think of anything that has changed that might increase startup time.

Fast startup is disabled. And, as far as I can tell, there's no new resource-hogging software running at startup.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks

Associate
You can rule out hardware by removing all hardware that is not required to boot into Windows. If the boot time goes back to normal, add the hardware back in until you find the one causing the problem.

Associate
OP
It used to be 17 seconds in the past - I was happy with that.
Looking at Task Manager right now it says 46.3 seconds. But recently it has often been over a minute.

Yeah, I could try disconnecting the keyboard and the SSD, but it's a bit of a bother. I was just hoping someone might have a notion of what's going on without me having to do that.

Soldato
Something is loading up in your boot.

like one drive, av etc. You can go through your startup and services and see what is going on. My old windows installation had loads of things in loading slowed my startup to over 1min. The biggest culprit is one drive, google drive etc cloud based services as they wait for network services to start then connect then sync etc etc.

Associate
OP
I'm usually fairly good at keeping such bloat to a minimum - but it's always a possibility I guess.
I've disabled One/Google -drive, and generally I have no cloud stuff going on.
My AV is Kaspersky but that usually has a pretty low impact.
I've got a few utilities for listing and eliminating the stuff that runs at Start up, but they don't actually state the time that each individual component takes. Glary, for example, actually has a 'Load Times' column in it's Startup Manager, but it always seems to be blank.
Is there any utility that clearly lists the time that each startup item takes? Because right now there is no obvious culprit!

But are there any obvious things I should be doing/setting-up with the new SSD and Keyboard (apart from unplugging them and checking)?
The new keyboard is USB, my old one was ps/2. Should I be updating USB or chipset drivers? MY mobo is an Asrock X99 Extreme6 and the Asrock website has no software updates for my board since about 2016. But that might just be them neglecting to update their support page for an old board. Should I be updating chipset drivers? Might that help?

Soldato
I am using bitdefender. It has a startup optimiser tool which I can either stop the start up services and apps or delay them.

with that I managed to cut a over 1min boot sequence to 20s.

have a look on the net for start up tools.

there will also be some services which you won’t be able to see from windows task managers.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I already have a few such utilities.
Glary and Ccleaner both have startup managers. And I've just got rid of Kaspersky and installed Avira - which has startup optimization stuff. The removal of Kaspersky does seem to have made a difference - back down to under 20 seconds now.
As I wondered before though, are there any apps which actually list how long each startup component takes? Otherwise it's a bit trial and error.
But yeah, a change of AV seems to have helped. Also f.lux seemed to be taking a lot of time, so I have delayed it's startup.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, I already have a few such utilities.
Glary and Ccleaner both have startup managers. And I've just got rid of Kaspersky and installed Avira - which has startup optimization stuff. The removal of Kaspersky does seem to have made a difference - back down to under 20 seconds now.
As I wondered before though, are there any apps which actually list how long each startup component takes? Otherwise it's a bit trial and error.
But yeah, a change of AV seems to have helped. Also f.lux seemed to be taking a lot of time, so I have delayed it's startup.

bitdefender tells me how long each app takes to load at startup.

Associate
From bios displayed to windows login prompt i am looking at at max 10 seconds, give or take.
Thats an overclocked 5820k on a m.2 samsung ssd and a lack of bloat so... you have something wrong.

Edit of course going from login to desktop screen is a bit more.

Associate
OP
Since I've removed Kaspersky (replaced with Avira) and delayed f.lux, things are back down to under 20 seconds so I'm happy.
Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Back
Top Bottom