Is there a "cool" convertible?

Soldato
I've not read this thread, but I would submit that any car that is specifically designed and purpose built as a convertible is cool. For example the lovely Z4 above!

Associate

What are the reliability like on these? Also I know the comfort is limited but is it really that bad? I live in an alpine area and was looking for a toy to try next year once the snow goes. Want something that looks fun, is a convertible, is safe without stupid quirks that some people say adds more involvement but I think is dangerous (oversteer etc) and is under 100k. The main thing is reliability. I have no appetite for large costs which seems a waste of money to me.

Soldato
What are the reliability like on these? Also I know the comfort is limited but is it really that bad? I live in an alpine area and was looking for a toy to try next year once the snow goes. Want something that looks fun, is a convertible, is safe without stupid quirks that some people say adds more involvement but I think is dangerous (oversteer etc) and is under 100k. The main thing is reliability. I have no appetite for large costs which seems a waste of money to me.

Toyota engined Elises are pretty reliable, especially the later ones like that one.

Mine is a 2006 and I used it last winter and also all through lockdown as my daily (before buying a new daily a few months ago). Though it did need a new throttlebody during that time, but the older ones are known for killing them. I just found a Toyota one and fit that for less than 1/4 of the Lotus price. It was a 10 minute DIY job.

As for comfort, better than most hot hatches tbh. They handle rough surfaces well. Lotus suspension is the best you can get. The only "uncomfortable" thing really is the noise, they are loud even with the stock exhaust etc.

Last edited:
Associate

If thats not cool then your a stiff, remember this out handles, out drives and out "funs" 99% of other junk out there

Its also pretty fast in 4th gen guise, being able to do (with my remap and exhausts not seen here) 6sec dead to 60.

Soldato
If “cool” is measured by boy racers egging you on to gun it from the lights but enthusiasts showing genuine interest at forecourts, shows and stuff then my Z4M was quite cool. Cool or not, I miss it so much and massively regret selling it but at least I toured it around Europe a few times and used it how it should be:

ypv6Llj.jpg

nice bag

Soldato
is there actually a convertible that wouldn't leave you with even the slightest embarrassment when you get out?

I can't see my myself in anything really - either too small, or feminine, or ugly, or fat... nothing gangster, just mediocre "meh".

This sounds like a you problem, not a car problem.

Weak insecure men strive to make up for their short comings by thinking a car will reflect what they want to project.

Go to the gym and bench 140 for reps, have a flat stomach, decent set of shoulders, hot girl in the passenger seat, you won’t care what the world thinks of what you look like because the car you are getting out of.

Soldato
This sounds like a you problem, not a car problem.

Weak insecure men strive to make up for their short comings by thinking a car will reflect what they want to project.

Go to the gym and bench 140 for reps, have a flat stomach, decent set of shoulders, hot girl in the passenger seat, you won’t care what the world thinks of what you look like because the car you are getting out of.

No body cares but we are hard wired to think they do.

When you’re blasting round an empty country lane in your convertible there is no one there to judge anyway and that’s for me what the ownership proposition is about. I’m thinking about a 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 as my next car and I give zero Fs about what anyone else thinks.

Associate

If thats not cool then your a stiff, remember this out handles, out drives and out "funs" 99% of other junk out there

Its also pretty fast in 4th gen guise, being able to do (with my remap and exhausts not seen here) 6sec dead to 60.
I've been considering the ND MX-5 for a next car if the MPS ever goes bang or after i've bought my first house. Who did your tuning? The only ones I can see that's available so far is just BBRGTI.

Soldato
No body cares but we are hard wired to think they do.

When you’re blasting round an empty country lane in your convertible there is no one there to judge anyway and that’s for me what the ownership proposition is about. I’m thinking about a 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 as my next car and I give zero Fs about what anyone else thinks.
There's nowt wrong with a boxster (apart from missing 2 cylinders:D, I mean the 'normal' versions, assuming the 4.0 has 6).

Soldato
There's nowt wrong with a boxster (apart from missing 2 cylinders:D, I mean the 'normal' versions, assuming the 4.0 has 6).

Indeed. They finally gave the GTS the engine it should have had in the first place.

Wouldn't touch the 4 pot with a barge pole. It exists so they can sell the model at high volumes. That said, regardless of the engine under the bonnet, I still think the 718 is one of the nicest looking cars in the Porsche lineup.

Associate
I've been considering the ND MX-5 for a next car if the MPS ever goes bang or after i've bought my first house. Who did your tuning? The only ones I can see that's available so far is just BBRGTI.

First off is it a brand new one (2019/2020 ect) or a 2016-2018 model like mine? As there is a big difference.
The new 2019 onward mk4 is 184ish bhp where as mine started out life with 160ish bhp. I fitted a full exhaust (myself) centre decat delete and an openflash tune from the openflash tablet - these keep getting updated so you can get new maps for nothing once you buy the openflash tablet. This nets be circa 180 odd bhp with a decent slug of extra torque, for a NA. That kind of puts it on par with the new refreshed mk4.

There are a bazillion tuning options for MX5s, absolutely massive amount - go to miata.net for a lot of great info.
As well as the power mods i have added a red led stipe between the boot lid and panel which looks amazing at night as well as new yellow stuff pads to go on.
Also suspension wise i have 20mm spacers all round (fit perfect) and the mazda eibachs which drop it about 15 or so mm and along with a custom alignment make the mk4 an absolute beast on the corners... honestly this thing is a handling superstar.

Associate
First off is it a brand new one (2019/2020 ect) or a 2016-2018 model like mine? As there is a big difference.
The new 2019 onward mk4 is 184ish bhp where as mine started out life with 160ish bhp. I fitted a full exhaust (myself) centre decat delete and an openflash tune from the openflash tablet - these keep getting updated so you can get new maps for nothing once you buy the openflash tablet. This nets be circa 180 odd bhp with a decent slug of extra torque, for a NA. That kind of puts it on par with the new refreshed mk4.

There are a bazillion tuning options for MX5s, absolutely massive amount - go to miata.net for a lot of great info.
As well as the power mods i have added a red led stipe between the boot lid and panel which looks amazing at night as well as new yellow stuff pads to go on.
Also suspension wise i have 20mm spacers all round (fit perfect) and the mazda eibachs which drop it about 15 or so mm and along with a custom alignment make the mk4 an absolute beast on the corners... honestly this thing is a handling superstar.
The gen 1 ND so the 160ish bhp one is what I will be looking at, ideally would be looking at the Sport recaro variant which comes with the recaro seats etc or a blue one with sports nav or maybe RF variant if price is right.
Ah I see I may look into it in future then, appreciate the feedback.

Soldato
Suspension upgrade was the best thing I did to an MX-5 when I owned one. The stock stuff is quite rolley.

The standard one is better than the RF tbh. The RF has a roof like the Elise except it isn't mid-engine. So I don't get what the point is, it seems like a big compromise with no benefit. That kind of convertable is also very windy especially with the side windows down too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom