• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Associate
I've just got a PNY xlr8 gaming revel (etc) 3090 and i was expecting it to be massive, but it isn't that much bigger than my gigabyte 1080ti. In fact I just put an EK waterblock on it and it is smaller than the 1080ti with water block.
Not at all what I was expecting in terms of size.

My expectations were set mostly by reviewers and images of large 3090 cooling solutions.
Well it's not like you bought a Asus ROG Strix, FTW3 or Kingpin...

Associate
I've just got a PNY xlr8 gaming revel (etc) 3090 and i was expecting it to be massive, but it isn't that much bigger than my gigabyte 1080ti. In fact I just put an EK waterblock on it and it is smaller than the 1080ti with water block.

My expectations were set mostly by reviewers and images of large 3090 cooling solutions.

Since i have the same model as you. It would be interesting to know how this card behaves under water :cool:. tempted

Soldato
Anyone help me decide on something. I finally got round to fitting my 3090 strix waterblock. Like the pleb I am, I didn't order a backplate. I never ran a backplate with a waterblock on my 2080 ti and never had issues. Think the 3090 is gonna need one? I'm sure it'll be fine without

Associate
Anyone help me decide on something. I finally got round to fitting my 3090 strix waterblock. Like the pleb I am, I didn't order a backplate. I never ran a backplate with a waterblock on my 2080 ti and never had issues. Think the 3090 is gonna need one? I'm sure it'll be fine without
2080 Ti didn't have literal memory modules on the rear of the PCB either, I wouldn't run it without, unless you're directing air at it constantly.

Associate
Since i have the same model as you. It would be interesting to know how this card behaves under water :cool:. tempted

Idles in the 20s when there is nothing going on.

Running timespy extreme 4k, or overwatch with all settings maxed on a 240hz monitor I'm seeing 30s to begin with, creeping up to 40s.
Its a huge improvement vs the 80s I was seeing.

My loop is the gpu, 2x 360 rads (one very thin) and a 9900k. Instead of the included ek paste i used liquid metal on the gpu. I don't have an aggressive fan curve or pump speeds, just a steady increase on the fans as the temps rise.

I'm very happy with the improvement in both noise levels under load and temperatures.

I should add that my temps on air weren't helped by the gpu being vertical next to a glass window. There was plenty of airflow in the case but the gpu must have been recirculating hot air.

Associate

I have a Gainward GS 3090 (same as PNY Xl8r OC), and it's only ever so slightly longer than my MSI non ti 1080 and a fair bit narrower. Surprised me for sure.

Associate
Doesn't the backplate from the Strix work with the waterblock?

No....you can install the block without the Backplate....but the 3090 has Vram modules on the back and they get very hot....so hot that the backplate becomes extremely hot to touch...not sure if its required or not, but the back of the card clearly generates a lot of heat.

Associate
I would be more inclined to keep the backplate on, my Gamerock 3090 gets hot to the touch on the back. I'm seriously considering figuring a way to use either a hdd waterblock or ram block from bitspower to cool it. The Mp5works plate looks nice and I'm sure it does a great job, but those tiny tubes kill me

Soldato
Yea, the ram modules does have me concerned. That as well as the fact the original backplate doesn't fit. Looks like I'm gonna have to urgently find a solution.

Joy, no pc for a while as I can't be bothered to undo my work thus far.

Soldato
Welp, not wanting to put €2000 worth of gpu at risk, I ordered the EKWB back plate. It SHOULD be here for the 10th... The day of cyberpunk, with Christmas post, I'll not hold my breath.

But, this gives me 10 days to re do all my tubing. Silver lining and all that.

Associate
Hi all

I’ve recently joined the 3090 owners club!
And for 2 days I was enjoying the card. Then I tried a bit of undervolting as I’d read about the good results you guys were getting. I undervolted to about 850mV and everything seemed stable and I played a couple of hours of Metro Exodus.

Then the game crashed and I had to hard reboot. But since then I can’t load any games or benchmarking as the card seems to crash immediately forcing hard reboots - well, I can get to the menu of Metro Exodus for example but it crashes as soon as I try and continue the game.

Could I have damaged the card undervolting?
Or could it be my power supply? I have a Corsair HX850 which I thought was reasonable. (And when I put my old Strix 2080 OC back in it seems fine and I can game on that still.)

Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom