Poll: Sakhir Grand Prix 2020, Sakhir - Race 16/17

Rate the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Russell to Mercedes, and Aitken to Williams. Amazing. I really wasn't expecting that.

What are the odds on a Russell win now?

Anyone get one of those 1000/1 race win bets in before they stopped taking them? :D I don't think he'll win but i think he will do well. I guess the goal should be at least 4th purely going by the car and the championship standings. (Although there's been chat of RB not looking good for this track layout.) I hope he does well.

Soldato
It's win win for GR really, if he beats Bottas he'll galvanise his already good reputation, if Bottas beats him, it's to be expected because he's in an unfamiliar car.

Caporegime
Hmm, that press release doesn’t really thank Williams or show any gratitude to them. Makes me wonder if there was a contract clause that Mercedes could activate if they wanted him for some reason.

Transmission breaker
Don
Hmm, that press release doesn’t really thank Williams or show any gratitude to them. Makes me wonder if there was a contract clause that Mercedes could activate if they wanted him for some reason.

The fact that they did not announce it as soon as Hamilton was out suggests they had to at least have a negotiation about it before making the decision. So I doubt it was written in stone.

Man of Honour
Yes yes yes yes yes. Now this will be interesting. I will laugh hard if Russell beats Bottas.

It's win win for GR really, if he beats Bottas he'll galvanise his already good reputation, if Bottas beats him, it's to be expected because he's in an unfamiliar car.

Yup, exactly. Its a brilliant opportunity.

Imagine the pressure on Bottas if George keeps up his F1 qualifying streak of always beating his teammate?

It has certainly made this race more interesting!

How come the start is so much later this time?

Caporegime

I don't think so:

“I wish to thank our loyal partners at Williams for their collaboration and open-mindedness in making it possible for George to race for Mercedes this weekend,” said Wolff, a former shareholder in Williams. “The conversations with the team at Williams were positive and pragmatic, and those were the key factors in reaching an agreement.

“This race will mark a small milestone for us, as we see a member of our Junior programme compete for the works Mercedes team for the first time,” he added​

Seems it was negotiated rather than contractual. Russell is saying similar things himself.

Man of Honour
But surely, he had to be favourite to win now, as apparently 'it's all the car, anyone could win in that Mercedes' ;)

Soldato
I don't think George Russell will be on the podium, but i'd be impressed if he is. It's a lot to ask of him, regardless of how good the car is and how dull the track is.

Back
Top Bottom