• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Where have all the graphics cards gone?

Soldato
ticket touting law is very narrow and ONLY covers designated football matches, nothing else.

scalping is here to stay, so just deal with that fact.

oh look someone bought a mclaren limited edition for 2£ mill and 2 years later is reselling it for 5£ mill.

scalper.

I was referring to scalping using bots rather than simple resales, and yes, I get your point about it being here to stay. I'll just get on with life and wait for supply to catch up with demand. But 'scalping' using bots is illegal for all event ticket sales https://www.prsformusic.com/m-magazine/news/ticket-scalping-bots-now-illegal-in-uk/. My point was if it can be made illegal for tickets, why can't it be illegal for everything else?

Your example of someone buying a McLaren isn't the best. Supercars can be legitimate appreciating assets which clearly isn't 'scalping', no-one uses a bot to buy a McLaren - deep pockets are all that's needed. And as far as I'm aware all McLaren's other than the F1 depreciate like a lead rock thrown off a cliff ;) :)

Soldato
I was referring to scalping using bots rather than simple resales, and yes, I get your point about it being here to stay. I'll just get on with life and wait for supply to catch up with demand. But 'scalping' using bots is illegal for all event ticket sales https://www.prsformusic.com/m-magazine/news/ticket-scalping-bots-now-illegal-in-uk/. My point was if it can be made illegal for tickets, why can't it be illegal for everything else?

Your example of someone buying a McLaren isn't the best. Supercars can be legitimate appreciating assets which clearly isn't 'scalping', no-one uses a bot to buy a McLaren - deep pockets are all that's needed. And as far as I'm aware all McLaren's other than the F1 depreciate like a lead rock thrown off a cliff ;) :)

Is the ban on ticket scapling more of a security / fraud issue?

Some may argue deep pockets are needed for a 3xxx card too:D

Soldato
Is the ban on ticket scapling more of a security / fraud issue?

Some may argue deep pockets are needed for a 3xxx card too:D

I'm not sure on the underlying reason for the change in the law, it's possible you're right. The upshot is that years ago I couldn't buy tickets for any popular event for anything resembling their original cost, and now I can. And yes, I agree - deep pockets help. Deep pockets and fomo are a combination guaranteed to empty wallets, glad I only have fomo to be honest :D

Associate
In 20 years of buying PC hardware I've never seen demand like this. Websites crashing, cards going out of stock in minutes etc. I mean people who have perordered in September are STILL waiting.
I'm thinking minimum 6 months especially with mining making a comeback.

Associate
It's a tough one. It's obvious we're heavily supply constrained, but how much of that is covid and how much is MS, Sony, AMD and Nvidia all fighting for fabcapacity? Add the effects of the B-word and I'd be amazed if things are looking anything like normal within the next 6 months.

Associate
Yeah I've never seen anything like this either, but you have to remember we are in strange times.

A multitude of factors are contributing and I don't see any respite for 6-12 months. Guessing, but still, they are going out of stock in minutes, seconds whenever they appear. My advice, relax. Settle in.

If you're a gamer, still tons of ways to enjoy video games. If you're just a PC enthusiast, then wait or pay. Your call.

Associate
Supply could well return in the next 6 months but I don't see prices dropping back down. Post-Brexit, there won't be the same ability to import from Europe either as a business or consumer, exchange rates are likely to be worse in the short to medium term and price-gouging retailers will just have another set of excuses to bump prices up.

Caporegime
The more we see the current pattern repeating, the less confident I am we'll get back to normal even within 6 months.

I'd be disappointed tho if we were still fighting over scraps of stock in March 2021.

There's not much I can do with some RAM and a PSU, with everything else being unobtanium :p

Man of Honour
Hard to say - the recent tech launches in most cases have been a combination of stock within the range of normal launches but right at the low end of a normal launch while demand has been 10x or more higher than any previous launch. In most cases in the past things would ease up in 3-4 weeks but currently seems to be more like 3-4 months (minimum) before enough supply comes through that stock is more generally available.

Soldato
Unless theres a massive recession and everyone all of a sudden decides they need to keep money rather than throw it away, you'll be looking at end of Q1 at least before any demands are caught up entirely. Add scalpers into the mix as well which will continue to add to the problem.

This will be the norm from now on unfortunately...

Associate
Almost feels to me like it's done in purpose by manufacturers to keep prices high. To be honest it wouldn't surprise me. I don't buy the not enough fab to produce everything argument. Sounds like excuses, we had the se issues with ram and that was all debunked and a big collusion which was dragged through courts. All smells to me. As the op says nothing like this in 20 and now we can't get a GPU. Yea I'm then

Associate
Supply could well return in the next 6 months but I don't see prices dropping back down. Post-Brexit, there won't be the same ability to import from Europe either as a business or consumer, exchange rates are likely to be worse in the short to medium term and price-gouging retailers will just have another set of excuses to bump prices up.

Then they'll lose sales, it's as simple as that. Next year is going to be tough for a great many people, and taxes are set to rise, which will make luxury purchases even more expensive.

Personally, I will look into importing if UK retailers start gouging again. It may actually end up being cheaper, even with import duties.

Back
Top Bottom