Is an 18v leaf blower enough?

Caporegime
Not got any battery tools yet. But need a leaf blower. But not sure if the 18v versions offer enough power.

Anyone got any experience?

Associate
I've got a Ryobi 18v one and it seems fine for when I use it, but that's not an awful lot. I suppose it depends on the area you have to clear. Most of the leaves in our garden are on the lawn so I use the mower to collect.

Caporegime
OP
I've got a Ryobi 18v one and it seems fine for when I use it, but that's not an awful lot. I suppose it depends on the area you have to clear. Most of the leaves in our garden are on the lawn so I use the mower to collect.

This is the case for me.
The mower just seems a bit of a waste. The oaks are still dropping leaves on the lawn and the grass isn't growing. I was wondering if a blower would be better?

Associate
This is the case for me.
The mower just seems a bit of a waste. The oaks are still dropping leaves on the lawn and the grass isn't growing. I was wondering if a blower would be better?

The problem with a blower is that it just blows them. If you aren't going to rake them up they just blow back onto the grass again in time. I just wack the mower up high and trundle around to clip the tops of the grass and hoover up the leaves. It depends on the lawn though. I'm half way up a hill and its quite free draining so doesn't sit wet. If it was a boggy lawn it probably wouldn't work as well! Its also in a town so doesn't get as cold as in the sticks to upset the grass.

Last edited:
Soldato
The problem with a blower is that it just lows them. If you aren't going to rake them up they just blow back onto the grass again in time. I just wack the mower up high and trundle around to clip the tops of the grass and hoover up the leaves. It depends on the lawn though. I'm half way up a hill and its quite free draining so doesn't sit wet. If it was a boggy lawn it probably wouldn't work as well! Its also in a town so doesn't get as cold as in the sticks to upset the grass.

As above, you'd probably be better off getting one of those leaf suckers/hoovers rather than a blower.

When i lived in a flat, the flats opposite had a landscaper team round probably 2-3 times a week. In Autumn they used to spend hours blowing the leaves off the footpaths and flower beds but never picked them up. They'd go off for their lunch and a slight breeze would just put half of them back on the paths, and then they'd repeat after lunch. I used to just sit there and laugh at them.

Caporegime
When i lived in a flat, the flats opposite had a landscaper team round probably 2-3 times a week. In Autumn they used to spend hours blowing the leaves off the footpaths and flower beds but never picked them up. They'd go off for their lunch and a slight breeze would just put half of them back on the paths, and then they'd repeat after lunch. I used to just sit there and laugh at them.
same watched people blowing leaves forever seemingly drying them before collecting..

always petrol powered as well and loud as hell, with like a flame thrower backpack on

seems like a rake is far faster

Associate
As gav mentioned it really depends on the size of the area you are clearing, how many leaves, how often and the type of area. For a normal sized garden an electric/battery blower would probably be okay but do it when the leaves are dry if you can. However, you still have to pick the leaves up - so get some leave picking up hand shovels. The are quite comical but they really to work. The 240v screwfix jobbie I used to use had a shredder/mulching function but it was nigh useless as you had to be almost point-blank range with the leaves before it would suck them up, and it would get choked very easily when I got impatient and force fed it. It got worse when the leaves where wet.

Where blowers are good is on loose stone drives and leaves in bushes/foliage; you don't want to be mowing that and it's impossible to rake! I use a petrol blower as I can be out for ages clearing leaves and I swear I could smell the exhaust fumes in my nostrils hours after, even after a shower. So face mask, goggles, ear defenders and anti-vibration gloves are highlight recommended.

I'd suggest that if it takes you no less than 30 minutes to clear the leaves then use electric so check the runtime of any battery blower. Any longer and you want petrol. The backpack petrol blowers are good but you'll be wanting a break after an hour.

Soldato
same watched people blowing leaves forever seemingly drying them before collecting..

always petrol powered as well and loud as hell, with like a flame thrower backpack on

:D:D It's probably the thrill of pulling the trigger and hearing the pack going vroooooommmmmm.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah this is on lawn. And it's a lot of leaves (two huge oaks) they drop leaves for about 2 months.
Used mower last time and as its winter kind of digs into the lawn.

If all the blowers aren't great ill persevere with the mower

Associate
A mower or lawn sweeper. Blowers are ok if you have flower beds you can blow the leaves into, otherwise you will need to rake them up.

Soldato
I got a ryobi one+ leaf blower with the idea of blowing and collecting. But have just picked up a wired qualcast from home base as the reality was it was a pita unless the leaves were dry and grass short. Blower is still useful (mainly for drying off my mountain bike) but grab a leaf sucker and be done with it.

Soldato

Yeah, thats why gardeners have them, to waste a load of time and not make money :/

OP: Get a cheap used Stihl blower for around £150. Make life easy. Blow into a corner, get a snow scoop, job done!

Soldato
Blow leaves out of the beds onto the grass then run the mower with the blades high to suck them all up. If you have a small mountain of leaves blow into a heap and bag up the bulk first. Wash rinse repeat. If you want to do it the hard way get a plastic rake and spend hours raking up which you may prefer depending on how much exercise you're in need of :p

Back
Top Bottom