PC and cancel culture, what are the pros and cons?

Caporegime
Why on earth would you say something like that though? I'm not justifying the response, but what would possess somebody to say something so incredibly stupid? :/
I imagine she would have preferred it if he'd told her to, "*** off, you dumb ****, and never cold call us again!"

Much preferable to being told you have a "sexy voice", I'm sure! I know I am filled with righteous indignation when people pay me a complement. How very dare they!

Soldato
Exactly. But then this is the clown world, a lovely place where I got called 'sexist' for doing nothing more sinister than holding the door for a woman.

People like that decide they don't like you then exercise the power game they've been taught, so there's no point arguing your case as you can't win; an apology is proof of your sexism, denial of sexism is proof of your sexism (a Kakfa trap).

The best strategy is to just ignore, because it's so fallacious and manipulative that rejecting it outright for how awful it is entirely reasonable.

Permabanned
I imagine she would have preferred it if he'd told her to, "*** off, you dumb ****, and never cold call us again!"

Much preferable to being told you have a "sexy voice", I'm sure! I know I am filled with righteous indignation when people pay me a complement. How very dare they!

Why on earth would you say that either? :confused:

Soldato
Exactly. But then this is the clown world, a lovely place where I got called 'sexist' for doing nothing more sinister than holding the door for a woman.
I've had that a couple of times before, last time with an "I can get the door myself!" scolding. I just shrug it off and think what a sad individual they must be if they take offence at common courtesy. I mean, I'll hold a door for anyone rather than let it slam in their face. It's not special treatment.

Caporegime
I've had that a couple of times before, last time with an "I can get the door myself!" scolding. I just shrug it off and think what a sad individual they must be if they take offence at common courtesy. I mean, I'll hold a door for anyone rather than let it slam in their face. It's not special treatment.

Its a generally courteous thing to do however I've come across a few people who feel as if they're making a stand for something when they admonish you for doing it. Women as stated but also encountered a very few disabled individuals who have made a comment.

Caporegime
Why on earth would you say that either? :confused:
I didn't say I would (say it).

But if the chap in question *had* said it, likely the consequences (i.e. further action on her part and on the part of the Twitterorcracy) would have been much reduced (or none at all). As opposed to now being completely demonised for the heinous crime of saying she had a "sexy voice".

**quoted comments removed**

Last edited by a moderator:
Capodecina
Soldato
But if the chap in question *had* said it, likely the consequences (i.e. further action on her part and on the part of the Twitterorcracy) would have been much reduced (or none at all). As opposed to now being completely demonised for the heinous crime of saying she had a "sexy voice".

There are some people who would be fine with such a compliment and some not. It's culture-based, a lot of these things. Many white, Western cultured-women would likely get offended. Those from black cultures are more likely to either enjoy the compliment or roll their eyes and brush it off.

Best thing to do is just not say it at all.

Permabanned
I didn't say I would (say it).

**quoted comments removed**

Bottom line is that it was an inappropriate comment in a professional setting. Just because it was nicer than something else that he could've said doesn't change or diminish that.

Caporegime
Bottom line is that it was an inappropriate comment in a professional setting. Just because it was nicer than something else that he could've said doesn't change or diminish that.
But the efforts to destroy his life afterwards are entirely disproportionate to the social faux pas of telling a cold caller she had a sexy voice.

She could have said, "I find your remark offensive and request you don't say anything like that to me again."

You know, like two adults where one wants to make their feelings known or set boundaries with the other.

Instead, she went straight for the jugular. For me that makes means my sympathies lie firmly with the poor chap whose career has been ruined.

This "name and shame" culture is toxic. Everything goes straight to social media and the Court of Twitter.

And what's more... the people on social media *want* everybody to lose their jobs and be ostracised for whatever tiny wrong they can magnify and scrutinise and turn into a hot topic. "Witch-hunting" is a fun game for these people. And some poor sod loses everything to satisfy the lust for blood.

Associate

As a female, I really don't understand why other people take offence over this. I hold the door for anyone, as you said, it is common courtesy and it would even be more rude, if I let the door slam in thier face. If someone, male or whoever held the door for me, I would thank them, as atleast I won't have door slammed to my face. It seems, in this society, being polite and having manners is now offensive.

Caporegime
As a female, I really don't understand why other people take offence over this. I hold the door for anyone, as you said, it is common courtesy and it would even be more rude, if I let the door slam in thier face. If someone, male or whoever held the door for me, I would thank them, as atleast I won't have door slammed to my face. It seems, in this society, being polite and having manners is now offensive.
We're teaching people to interpret almost everything they encounter as a hostile act (I love the new word, "microaggression" :p It perfectly captures the nonsense world we now live in.) Along with the idea that every white person is inherently racist, whether they want to be or not. And numerous other absurd ideas.

It's little wonder that, having taught society to believe hatred is all-pervasive, that many more acts are interpreted as aggressive or hostile. Including holding the door open (lol). You'll doubtless not have to look too far be find someone trying to convince you that holding the door open is an act of dominance over the person walking through the door :p

Intent means nothing these days. You may have intended to be courteous but it doesn't matter anymore. If somebody chooses to be offended, you were in the wrong no matter what you intended.

Permabanned
We're teaching people to interpret almost everything they encounter as a hostile act (I love the new word, "microaggression" :p It perfectly captures the nonsense world we now live in.) Along with the idea that every white person is inherently racist, whether they want to be or not. And numerous other absurd ideas.

It's little wonder that, having taught society to believe hatred is all-pervasive, that many more acts are interpreted as aggressive or hostile. Including holding the door open (lol). You'll doubtless not have to look too far be find someone trying to convince you that holding the door open is an act of dominance over the person walking through the door :p

Intent means nothing these days. You may have intended to be courteous but it doesn't matter anymore. If somebody chooses to be offended, you were in the wrong no matter what you intended.

Except microagression is a very real thing people have to deal with. I doubt you/I have much exposure being, I am assuming you are, white.

Soldato
Television is littered with reprehensible morons airing stupid opinions and losing their cushy gig for it. Most of the time nothing of value was lost. On the other hand, the CEO of a charity should not be fired purely because they criticised BLM. This seems like a cowardly knee-jerk reaction to debate.

I'm not sure I follow what's wrong with any of this? :confused:

he could be a trans hating, pronoun abusing hater and it goes against his moral code to be trained in said things ??? :confused:

Soldato
he could be a trans hating, pronoun abusing hater and it goes against his moral code to be trained in said things ??? :confused:

Or alternatively he could be a person who believes that biological sex can't be changed just because someone wants to change the scientific facts to match their own beliefs, so therefore he won't enable that person's scientific fallacy, but he can't state this scientific fact because that would be "transphobia" and therefore he feels silenced.

Back
Top Bottom