Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
If you want to make sure, just give them a quick call and check, whoever you spoke to will have left notes on the account and even CS can check the order, as it’s not been installed yet it’ll have everything on it - all that needed doing was the services being installed changed and the correct offer code being applied. It’s worth mentioning that CS may not be familiar with the offer codes and how to check the order as it’s not normally something they are involved with, but it should 100% be in the notes aka customer comments (CC) screen.
I was just about to phone them up, but checked my contract on line before I did and it has changed over, so all is now good. Another quick question is a speed upgrade always the cost that’s on the web site, I was hoping to phone up in a few months and get an upgrade from 100 to 200 for a couple of quid, how likely is that?

Soldato
I was just about to phone them up, but checked my contract on line before I did and it has changed over, so all is now good. Another quick question is a speed upgrade always the cost that’s on the web site, I was hoping to phone up in a few months and get an upgrade from 100 to 200 for a couple of quid, how likely is that?

You can upgrade at any time, but generally not at preferential/offer pricing unless it's a new install, exceptions being retentions or if for example a campaign is being run. You do have the right to cancel policy which can be useful to 'negotiate'.

Soldato
You can upgrade at any time, but generally not at preferential/offer pricing unless it's a new install, exceptions being retentions or if for example a campaign is being run. You do have the right to cancel policy which can be useful to 'negotiate'.
Cool thanks mate, might give them a ring to see the cost

Soldato
Was right on the cusp of ordering a new router on the cyber monday deals etc then got the email for the SuperHub4, got it ordered and waiting for delivery so ill see if this is any good before definitely replacing it.

Soldato
im still on the 350 meg package with virgin and speed test gives 385 down and 37 up. does virgins 500meg or 1gig offer higher uploads? my cousin down the road is on vodafones/cityfiber and gets 900meg up and down. immense. my discounts on virgin are to end in march i think so if they dont drop prices and want to raise them then will have to see if i can get a deal with vodafone.

Soldato
im still on the 350 meg package with virgin and speed test gives 385 down and 37 up. does virgins 500meg or 1gig offer higher uploads? my cousin down the road is on vodafones/cityfiber and gets 900meg up and down. immense. my discounts on virgin are to end in march i think so if they dont drop prices and want to raise them then will have to see if i can get a deal with vodafone.

As soon as your discount finishes, you will pay retail (non discounted) pricing, they aren’t likely to massively discount it beyond what you are currently paying. If you’re in a Vodafone area and can actually get it, then as long as you don’t have to interact with Vodafone, it’s generally painless. Of course if you need to speak to Vodafone or have a problem, that’s where things can start to become problematic.

Soldato
I am in the vodafone area. I pay 38 a month at the moment with virgin for the 350. Voda offering 40 a month for the 500 and first 6 months free which works out to 30 a month for 24month contract which i think is excellent.
Virgin need to give me the 350 for 30ish a month to stop me from switching which i dont think they will.
The upload speeds on voda are just too good and handy for my needs so would be worth switching for the long term i guess

Soldato
that upload is just lame compared to what voda offers. i guess virgin will never get higher uploads in the future due to the limitations of their cables?

The ‘new’ DOCSIS 3.1 standard allows upload of up to 10Gbps, but so far VM have only rolled it out for the downstream. Once it’s enabled upstream it will allow for symmetrical connections (if VM wish to sell them).

Caporegime
Virgin are unlikely to ever offer symmetrical up/down speeds. They’re well aware that most users don’t need those speeds up.

Not sure how well their network would cope with loads of torrent users essentially having seedbox upload speeds.

Their 2.2gbps trial in Berkshire is limited to around 200mbps up. I think they’ll stick to around a 10:1 ratio on their residential packages.

Soldato
Residential broadband is rightly or wrongly predominantly sold on headline download speeds, even symmetrical alt-net providers don't really push the marketing of upload speed as a differentiator, while it's become more relevant with the increase in WFH, it's still more of a niche requirement. It'll likely take OR resellers to start pushing upload and/or VM to move to full DOCSIS 3.1 before that's likely to change.

Soldato
Just had the guys turn up to lay the cable to the box on the wall, all they did was push the gravel in my garden to one side and put the cable underneath it, is that right, I’m worried that I will get a bad/intermittent connection with it so close to the surface

Soldato
Gravel is generally laid over a blocking fabric to prevent weeds, they wouldn’t lift that as I explained above. It’ll have no impact at all on signals.

Soldato
Cancelled my order due to them taking over a month and half to decide if they can be arsed doing the work or not, spoke to VM other day still didn't have an install date down. Got services from elsewhere within 4 days of ordering. Wanting for Cityfibre to finish getting installed now for a 1GB up / down connection.

Back
Top Bottom