• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X Boost set to 5050Mhz all cores with AMD Curve Optimizer

Associate
What is mind boggling to me is that people in this thread are second guessing the hundreds of AMD engineers who actually make the product and have perfect understanding how the CPU works.
If you're referring to me, I'm an engineer who questions engineers for a living. But in this case, I'm skeptical about AMD marketing which doesn't have the best track record. I've worked in big tech long enough to trust but verify what I'm being told.

When I see the boost algo use 150mv more than necessary for an all-core CB run, I have to think that it maybe isn't as smart some people believe.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you're referring to me, I'm an engineer who questions engineers for a living. But in this case, I'm skeptical about AMD marketing which doesn't have the best track record. I've worked in big tech long enough to trust but verify what I'm being told.

When I see the boost algo use 150mv more than necessary for an all-core CB run, I have to think that it maybe isn't as smart some people believe.
OK

Caporegime
What about 1.4-1.45v which is pretty much sustained over a medium load session (gaming)? I hear you but my cynical side says AMD is forced to ramp up volts to match Intel in single threaded/gaming workloads and being a little hand wavey with the risks. Degredation is almost impossible to prove and firmware could start scaling down over time without 99% of users noticing.
Can you define 'medium' load and provide clear examples and videos showing said load?

Associate
Can you define 'medium' load and provide clear examples and videos showing said load?
Sure. I used the term "medium" loosely, think multi-threaded game but not pegging every thread. Here's a screenshot for now. This with Curve Optimizer at -10 all cores.

https://imgur.com/A8iBjBP
A8iBjBP

Caporegime
Sure. I used the term "medium" loosely, think multi-threaded game but not pegging every thread. Here's a screenshot for now. This with Curve Optimizer at -10 all cores.

https://imgur.com/A8iBjBP
A8iBjBP
In the CPU screenshot you posted, it looks as if only 1 CPU core is properly loaded and boosting to 4.825Mhz, the rest are all in a lower clock state.

I also see the CPU temp is only 57c and CPU power draw looks low across the board.

I don't to see a problem here.

What happens if you remove the -10 from Precision Boost Overdrive?

Associate
In the CPU screenshot you posted, it looks as if only 1 CPU core is properly loaded and boosting to 4.825Mhz, the rest are all in a lower clock state.

I also see the CPU temp is only 57c and CPU power draw looks low across the board.

I don't to see a problem here.

What happens if you remove the -10 from Precision Boost Overdrive?
Yea temps are fine in medium loads with my 240 AIO and Noctua fans at 50%. I'm just wondering why the voltage is so high. I can run 4.6 manual at 1.26 all day, it would be nice to have that as the baseline, and only boost in single 1-2 core workloads. If you remove the -10 it averages 30-50mv higher.

Here's the video:
https://streamable.com/uiqmgx

Caporegime
Yea temps are fine in medium loads with my 240 AIO and Noctua fans at 50%. I'm just wondering why the voltage is so high. I can run 4.6 manual at 1.26 all day, it would be nice to have that as the baseline, and only boost in single 1-2 core workloads. If you remove the -10 it averages 30-50mv higher.

Here's the video:
https://streamable.com/uiqmgx
Fair enough. :)

What happens if you don't overclock the CPU, as enabling PBO is considered overclocking and runs the CPU outside of the factory setting?

Associate
Fair enough. :)

What happens if you don't overclock the CPU, as enabling PBO is considered overclocking and runs the CPU outside of the factory setting?
The CPU in the video is not overclocked, PBO is only enabled to access the Curve Optimizer so I can undervolt. I'm told the standard negative offset method will result in clock stretching.

Caporegime
The CPU in the video is not overclocked, PBO is only enabled to access the Curve Optimizer so I can undervolt. I'm told the standard negative offset method will result in clock stretching.
Enabling PBO (which you need to do to access Curve Optimizer) is overclocking.

That's why you agree to the disclaimer when you enter the section called AMD Overclocking.

Associate
Enabling PBO (which you need to do to access Curve Optimizer) is overclocking.

That's why you agree to the disclaimer when you enter the section called, AMD Overclocking.
:( Well, stock settings run even higher voltages lol. The clocks don't change if you don't increase the boost targets and power limits. It would be nice if you could undervolt without a disclaimer.

Caporegime
:( Well, stock settings run even higher voltages lol. The clocks don't change if you don't increase the boost targets and power limits. It would be nice if you could undervolt without a disclaimer.
I think you are worrying about nothing. The processors come with a three year warranty and are operating to specification.

Associate
OP
This thread alone has all kinds of information you are talking about. I can help you out a little if you want answers.

POST #62

The new BIOS/Agesa 1.1.8.0 will contain AMD Adaptive Undervolting + AMD Curve Optimzer . Will be release soon as in very soon.

Soldato
4.65Ghz all core 1.275V results in lower temps idle and load than using PBO. A good 10-15c lower load temps.
59c was the highest temp playing after an hour of COD Warzone
What game(s) would be a good stability / load test? I seem to remember Planet coaster battering my i7 4790k

Soldato
This thread alone has all kinds of information you are talking about. I can help you out a little if you want answers.

POST #62

The new BIOS/Agesa 1.1.8.0 will contain AMD Adaptive Undervolting + AMD Curve Optimzer . Will be release soon as in very soon.
Great news. That was a couple of weeks ago. Is there info anywhere on release dates for bios’ ? (Other than checking motherboard support pages)

Soldato
out of interest what in game overlay is that ?

just zoomed in to see it's afterburner
Interested in this also.
Can afterburner be used to show cpu temps yet? Im using the beta which is supposed to show temps for for Ryzen 5000 cpus...but doesnt. Or I can’t find a way to

Back
Top Bottom