Anyone using the EdgeRouter X

Associate
This little box with 5 ports and some poe stuff (not that i use it as i have a poe switch) is quite useful for a home environment. I find its GUI nice and setup for pppoe pretty simple which allows me to push the draytec modem i have harder for better speed (ok i have seen a max of maybe 5Mb/s)

Anyone else using it?

Soldato
Yeah, I picked one up a few weeks back to load balance a couple of LTE connections. seems pretty solid so far.
have you configured the hardware offloading?
its meant to make a nice difference if you get good speeds.

Associate
I use one as my router for my VDSL ~75 MBit.
Multiple VLANs works well. Segregates TV and Humax DVR to separate network and uplink to another managed switch for the rest of the network. Very stable.
7 months uptime and that's only because I did the latest v1 firmware update then.

Soldato
For slower connections it’s ideal and for the money it’s a steal, sadly it doesn’t fit in with the Unifi management side of things in the same way the USG range does if you use the switches/AP’s, but as a standalone device it’s got a lot going for it. Just beware that if you do get gigabit WAN at some point, this won’t be upto the job.

Associate
I've got a gig connection up and down and my edge router x works fine, max's out my connection just need hardware offloading enabled. mines been up and running for 4 months now since install rock solid.

Soldato
I've got a gig connection up and down and my edge router x works fine, max's out my connection just need hardware offloading enabled. mines been up and running for 4 months now since install rock solid.

Sadly that just isn't true. The hardware has a maximum routing capability of 1Gbit, however that's only half of what a symmetrical gigabit connection can do. You might get 980/20 or if you are maxing your connection 500/500, but you can't do 1000/1000 and actually max out your connection with an ER-X, even if you enable hardware offloading, that would require physically redesigning the hardware.

See here: https://kazoo.ga/re-visit-the-switch-in-edgerouter-x/

Man of Honour
Used to use an edgerouter 4. Liked it. But moved onto home build pfsense with quad network card.

Good kit.

Good choice! I quite like pfsense, enough that I ended up buying 3 sets of HA-XG-7100's - The appliances are also very good.

Associate
Sadly that just isn't true. The hardware has a maximum routing capability of 1Gbit, however that's only half of what a symmetrical gigabit connection can do. You might get 980/20 or if you are maxing your connection 500/500, but you can't do 1000/1000 and actually max out your connection with an ER-X, even if you enable hardware offloading, that would require physically redesigning the hardware.

See here: https://kazoo.ga/re-visit-the-switch-in-edgerouter-x/

All I know is I can get 113MB a second from usenet. I don’t upload at same time which is fine for me.

Associate
OP
I think if i had a gig available to me each way i would prob be moving to something with more grunt under the hood.
But i dont, i have 35-45ish and about 6 up and no other service providers and likely no chance of seeing FTTP until the next millenium.

Still for what it is its great, gui's nice and the FW quite easy to navigate plus its got the hardware offloading even if its not up to big boy speeds.

Associate
You say that but unless your connection is maxed out all time then why? Mine probably sits idle 99% of time. Buts it’s cheaper than by or sky vdsl. And only one pc in house is wired and can max it. Rest are WiFi and 500mbps is as much as I see.

Soldato
You say that but unless your connection is maxed out all time then why? Mine probably sits idle 99% of time. Buts it’s cheaper than by or sky vdsl. And only one pc in house is wired and can max it. Rest are WiFi and 500mbps is as much as I see.

There are those that have symmetrical gigabit and those that use symmetrical gigabit. From your description you are probably in the former category, nothing wrong with that as long as it works for you. But if you are backing up local data to an off-site storage provider and have a remote server backing up it’s data to your local storage or are imaging VM’s etc. and it’s taking twice as long as it should because you went cheap on a router that only has 1Gbit of total bandwidth rather than the 2Gbit required for symmetrical gigabit, that £59 router’s days are probably numbered. If you just run the odd download and speed test, you’re unlikely to notice the difference, but be aware of it. For slower connections it’s quite literally never going to be an issue, as I said earlier.

Soldato
No don’t do any of that at home luckily! Leave work at work.

This isn’t work, this is home - I just have a lot of toys, but the same could equally be true with syncing a load of data with GDrive etc. while downloading an update or a game, or just torrenting. Either way 500/500 is not the same as 1000/1000, but as long as you’re not in a situation that ever requires you to be uploading and downloading at the same time, you likely won’t notice/care.

Back
Top Bottom