Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Associate
Well i have tried it out, it is clunky.

Steps I followed.

Grabbed dev mode activation from store.
Signed up to dev account (costs £12).
Ran the app to activate on dev account.
Took 3 attempts to activate successfully, but 3rd time lucky.
App then told me to wait for a update to download, which never did.
There is a hidden dev menu on console you can activate on the console info screen which I did.
From there I enabled developer mode and rebooted it.
It took eight minutes to reboot, thought I bricked it.
Then from there I had to configure wifi again in settings, and added my account.
I was able to via the web page portal to upload retroarch, but this is really clunky and it kpept getting stuck and when it did work I forgot to add the library dependencies. So I uninstalled it.
Couldnt reinstall, it was getting very scuffed in web UI as well so rebooted it.
Took another three minutes to reboot.
This time i was able to properly install retroarch and it launched fine, at this point test was done, didnt bother with any games.
Selected leave dev mode to go back into retail mode and this took another 3-5 mins.
After back in retail mode I did a manual reboot, and thankfully was fast. So I havent destined my console to 5+ minute bootup's in retail mode.

With all this done I have observed 24 gig space is now used extra on internal storage, so there is a 24 gig internal storage tax to using dev mode, I expect the slow bootups might be some moving data around on a new partition or something.

Apparently to remove dev mode you have to factory reset. So I am stuck with this 24 gig usage now unless I am prepared to factory reset. However if I get round to installing games on to retroarch I would maybe consider it worth it. Currently I have retropie for emulation, which works ok. But can struggle in heavier games, and adds more cabling mess with it been another device.

I also got the above working and agree it's clunky - above instructions spot on but there are some good videos on the Tube. I've since managed to get added to a 'developer whitelist' for using the same app on retail xbox so more convenient (no developer access required). You can even play stuff directly off the internal SSD. Incredible that it works but not sure how much I will actually use it.

Associate
So Rainbow 6 Siege is X/S optimized then, for 75 reward points you need to play a Training Grounds match and i tried from external hdd but got the must be internal or expansion storage play only.

Edit: And you have to unplug your ext hdd to play it from the internal ssd otherwise it tries to play it from the external anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
So I got the x from amazon today but its up in the attic till xmas day :) I got a second controller for £35 and also have the option of xbox live ultimate for 3 months at £19.99, i already have ultimate till jan 2022, anyone know if I can buy this and add? Is it even worth it?

Caporegime
So I got the x from amazon today but its up in the attic till xmas day :) I got a second controller for £35 and also have the option of xbox live ultimate for 3 months at £19.99, i already have ultimate till jan 2022, anyone know if I can buy this and add? Is it even worth it?
Let it run then stack gold and upgrade to gamepass.

How did you get a controller for only £35?

Soldato
USB drive connection for recording game DVR always results in a hard system crash system turns completely off.

Major bug, I've used report a problem on it.

It's been happening since lauch

Soldato
I also got the above working and agree it's clunky - above instructions spot on but there are some good videos on the Tube. I've since managed to get added to a 'developer whitelist' for using the same app on retail xbox so more convenient (no developer access required). You can even play stuff directly off the internal SSD. Incredible that it works but not sure how much I will actually use it.

How does one get on this list? if it can be run in retail mode, thats hugely better.

Found it, have to register by sunday.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-xbox-one-retroarch-thread.518329/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So Rainbow 6 Siege is X/S optimized then, for 75 reward points you need to play a Training Grounds match and i tried from external hdd but got the must be internal or expansion storage play only.

Edit: And you have to unplug your ext hdd to play it from the internal ssd otherwise it tries to play it from the external anyway.

Make sure that you don’t have it installed in 2 locations.

Soldato
It’s the base game with no dlc and no Series patch, so it depends if that is important to you.
Oh right, thanks. Yeah not bothered about DLC, I never seem to play DLC, even if I have it. But the Series X upgrade is important, especially as I heard it can grind on the OneX during action heavy scenes.

Saving it for when they actuality deliver more XSX to Oz, been none since release, and I missed out :(

Man of Honour
Is Control a limited time title on Game Pass? When does it arrive? I'll have to drag myself away from Halo 3 :p

Edit: I may wait until Control gets the X enhancements.

Soldato
Presuming you can use xbox one controllers? Whats wrong with the new ones?

Apart from second one still having issues (though not as bad as first), they just feel a bit small.

Rumble/vibrate also feels cheap somehow - especially high frequency intense bursts.

Even the DS4 is more comfortable, and I have typically preferred MS controllers in past.

Man of Honour
Not sure if Control on GP will get the SX enhancements, if it's the ultimate version it will

Might just wait then. I seem to be hooked on Halo again, even over Gears and AC :p

State of Decay 2 seemed to have a huge update yesterday. Still haven't tried it. Quick resume and even normal loading times makes having this many games on the go almost too easy.

Back
Top Bottom