OcUK Hivemind, am I in the wrong?

Soldato
Isn't the question whether you should be seeing either parents, even if Boris says OK, virus isn't taking time-off, let alone potentially mixing them/parents. ?
with parents in their 50s+ would they want to be mixed ?.

Man of Honour
Not all Asian families are equal.......

I can guarantee you the Asian families I know, all the Aunties would be creating some sort of drama of why someone isn't coming to theirs, why their bubble isn't his bubble and why her cousin is going to her other cousins bubble.

You're experience isn't the same as everyone's experience Sonny, sometimes I feel like you think how you live your life is how everyone else does.
You must know my other halves family :D

Caporegime
OP
Support bubbles are fine, but bubbles cannot be extended - if you meet someone they become part of your bubble as do any other households they/you see before and after.

I expect most people are going to ignore that though...

We wouldn't be extending. No group would meet more than 2 other households.

Caporegime
OP
Isn't the question whether you should be seeing either parents, even if Boris says OK, virus isn't taking time-off, let alone potentially mixing them/parents. ?
with parents in their 50s+ would they want to be mixed ?.

And this is one of the issues. Her brother has seen her parents for childcare purposes so they've already had that interaction. We've not seen them.

Soldato
You’re in the right. Her brother has caused the problem and now she’s trying to ruin Christmas for your parents instead. Also putting them at risk.

It’s an exceptional year so things are going to be different. Maybe suggest some options like a zoom dinner and some games or a quiz in the evening so they’re not completely alone.

Soldato
I have nothing constructive to add, other than to post this:

47056295-e5a13c2df8d721717797600afc1b9acc.jpg

Soldato
Getting some flak on this one but I can't grasp that I'm in the wrong.

I have a sister, my partner has a brother. Both have their own partners. Each year at Christmas we alternate between our parents for Christmas Dinner.

For example, this year we are due at my parents, my sister at her partners parents and my partners brother at their parents.

Everyone is happy. Everyone has family there for Christmas Dinner.

This year however my partners brother has decided last minute he's not going to spend it with his parents. This means they'll be alone.

My partner has asked if we could have them round at ours, no problem except my mum suffers severe social anxiety, particularly when eating. This therefore means my mum is either going to have a nightmare of a time or can't come.

I've therefore said we shouldn't change the plans and pattern that has been in place for years. She's kicking off with me saying I'm being selfish and making her parents have to have Dinner alone.

I think her brother is the one at fault in this scenario.

Who's right? Is there an alternative?

Both spend christmas with your respective parents and boxing day together. done. Adult decision. Let your partner and her brother sort their **** on their own. It's one day and it's not a big deal if you spend boxing day together instead of christmas day.

Soldato
Both spend christmas with your respective parents and boxing day together. done. Adult decision. Let your partner and her brother sort their **** on their own. It's one day and it's not a big deal if you spend boxing day together instead of christmas day.

B-B-B-B-B-BUT TRADITIONSSS! :D

Soldato
B-B-B-B-B-BUT TRADITIONSSS! :D

heh. It seems obvious to me, but then my ex's parents have long been separated and of course we had to see them both, so im used to splitting time between families over those few days.

Why don't you just eat your partner's brother and family Christmas dinner?

No need for cannibalism sir :eek:

Soldato
OK, here is the plan. Everyone is sat in living room, the main lights get flicked off and someone (a willing helper), sets the xmas tree lights to flash patterns. You emerge from the kitchen door in darkness (same helper has to then flash the kitchen lights on and off), trotting in with a Christmas tea towel over your head, while a small childs sing along karaoke player belts out Eye of the Tiger. Run through a short, but sweet repertoire of stances, while shadow lit from the tree, and watch as the brother in law, makes a very swift exit.

Back
Top Bottom