Quest 2 Virtual Desktop Performance Thread

Soldato
There's too many combinations of settings its impossible to know whats best!

Do you go 90 fps with medium quality, or do you go 72 fps with higher quality? Do you go for higher bitrate? Whats the right numbers!

Its easy with pancake games, choose a preset and see what your framerate is. Resolution is fixed. Its not on a VR headset!

And you have to keep leaving the game to enable the overlay to see if you are getting steady framerate.

Soldato
The one on the left controller? This doesnt seem to work for me. Eg in Asgards Wrath the game itself uses that button.

Yeah, the one on the left.

Try holding it down for 5-10 seconds, rather than pressing it. That's the standard shortcut for opening the VD menu in VR applications.

Associate
I'm having an issue with population one.

It'll run fine at 80 hz elected on VD streaming settings getting a 5 ms game render time in the overlay.

chaning in game graphics setting makes zero difference to the reneder time.

If I change vd to 90 hz in vd settings the render time jumps to 15ms and i can't hit 90hz, 85 is where it sits, which is crazy as I'm not asking the gsme to render any bigger resolution or better graphics, and with 5ms game render time there is ample room to hit 90hz smoothly?

Settings are 100mbit
Sliced encoding on
Medium quality
90fps
Getting 30ms overall latency all others are in mid single digits apart from game which as mentioned is around 14 ms for 90 fps but only 5 ms for 80 fps

Edit

Ok I fired population one up on the index, it's a about a 3ms rendering time so it must be VD not yet having an update to cope with the game.

80hz in Population one will do for now when I fancy the wireless experience, but 120hz on the index is still on another level of goodness.

So is anybody able to 90hz with VD on the quest? with a low enough render time to not drop frames?

Last edited:
Associate
Where are we at with VD?

I tried it on the original Quest and it was okay but I preferred the cable for latency, with the v23 link update and all the VD updates how are things on Quest 2, is the latency now good enough for Beat Saber Expert for example?

Soldato
Where are we at with VD?

I tried it on the original Quest and it was okay but I preferred the cable for latency, with the v23 link update and all the VD updates how are things on Quest 2, is the latency now good enough for Beat Saber Expert for example?
I just set it up on my quest 1. Works perfectly on my set up. Honestly couldn't tell I wasn't wired. So much better than when I tried it at the beginning of the year.

Soldato
Where are we at with VD?

The general consensus before v23 seemed to be moving in favour of VD. VD got 90Hz before Link, plus it has the innate advantage of being wireless. But post v23, Link can now match the 90Hz refresh rate, and offers much higher resolutions and higher bitrates. If you have a high-end PC, Link now offers enough advantages to swing the argument back the other way. But for the rest of us plebs, it's pretty much a matter of being wired vs wireless, and potential latency issues on VD if your home LAN set-up is unfriendly to VD.

Associate
unknown.png

Ryzen 2600x - 16gb ram - rtx 2080 -
h.264 encoding - 90 mb bitrate - high resolution settings , sliced encoding . auto bitrate off
asus pce56 pcie card - 5ghz hotspot -

10-14 ms desktop - - 23 ms Vr

Are you getting 90 fps with these settings?

I have found the issue for anyone struggling with being locked to 85fps. The set optimal resolution option was ticked which kept setting the desktop to 1920x1080 at 85hz

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone maxed the VR streaming rate to 150mbps & boast clock rates didn’t seem to cause any issues apart from maybe battery going quicker maybe?? Getting about 40ms latacy which seemed to be ok on beat saber..

settings on 90hz, quality high, codec HEVC, auto bitrate off

what’s the best settings without losing quality??

Last edited:
Associate
I maxed it out at 150mbps too and cant notice any lag in Half Life Alyx - it runs just fine . I also compared the quality of Quest 2 with LINK v23 and cant find LINK looks better , even the colors are better in VD .

Associate
Yeah I went up from the lounge where my router is, up into the attic and back into my office. I'm guessing though you would need a better cable for outside use. After trying wifi extenders etc, wired is the way :)
I did something similar 16yrs ago with cat7 when passing video over LAN was a thing. Router in the lounge, pushed 4X cat7 cables through the same hole as the sky satellite cable on the ground floor and went straight up to the 1st floor, all cables bound together, greased and pushed through brown plastic pipe to protect from the elements. Rarely notice it since its at the back of the house. Terminated inside the house using wall LAN sockets. I was then able to run cables under the carpet to the rooms that needed it

Caporegime
Right, no more after Alyx (money pit game purchases). PC now wired to the router from upstairs and I'm running my Q2 & VD in the living room, by the router. It seems to run fine, a few dips in FPS and the latency seems fine but not spectacular so definitely need to do some tweaking.

Still - running a game in my living room wirelessly from my PC is pretty sweet.

Associate
I was wondering if VD uses the launch options set in the properties of a steam game. I ask as I have dynamic resolution set to off for Alyx via the luanch options in steam as well as a couple of other things, will these be picked up by launching from VD?

Caporegime
Silly question, you can run non Steam games on VD? And if you do, it runs in a 'cinema style' way?

I tried running Forza 3 but can't get the Quest 2 controllers to work other than point as a mouse in the game :o.

Soldato
Silly question, you can run non Steam games on VD? And if you do, it runs in a 'cinema style' way?

I tried running Forza 3 but can't get the Quest 2 controllers to work other than point as a mouse in the game :o.

Yes. But you need to use a regular game pad.

It's a feature that seems to need some work though. VD just uses the regular "desktop" streaming settings for "flat" games. And those settings aren't really good enough for streaming games. I've tried playing Valhalla this way, but it's a low-quality, blurry mess, and has a serious latency problems.

Caporegime
Is it worth creating a separate network or VLAN just for my Quest 2 and only have 5Ghz available?

It must connect at 5GHz (I get ~867Mbps) on my main WiFi network which has >10 devices on, but have seen internet rumours about a supposed benefit segregating it off.

Associate
So I'm completely new to VR but my partner has just ordered a Quest 2. It's for her to play mainly but I might get HL Alyx to try it out. Apologies if it's been answered in this thread but is it possible to configure the network like this for VD/untethered play?

PC - ethernet - switch - wireless AP - quest 2

Soldato
So I'm completely new to VR but my partner has just ordered a Quest 2. It's for her to play mainly but I might get HL Alyx to try it out. Apologies if it's been answered in this thread but is it possible to configure the network like this for VD/untethered play?

PC - ethernet - switch - wireless AP - quest 2

IT is but its better if you do it like this

Quest 2 - Wireless AP - PC

Back
Top Bottom