Show us your kitty cats

Man of Honour
This morning we lost our ever so brave boy Garfield. He had been in and out of the litter tray all night but couldn't manage a poo. I woke up at 04.30 to hear him moving the litter from one end of the tray to the other again but he still couldn't manage one. This is not unusual for him which is why he was put on Lactulose to try to make his poo's less solid and it was working up until now. I went and checked on him and he seemed ok apart from not managing to poo. I was going to phone the vets when they opened to see if they could prescribe something else to help him. At 06.50 he was badly sick and again a couple of minutes later. He then went back to the litter tray and again couldn't manage one. He got out of the litter tray and lay down on his side next to it with his back legs tucked up against him and his back end started to spasm. He was breathing heavily and his little heart was beating like mad so I phoned the vets out of hours service and they told me to get to the vets just up the road for 07.30. Got up there and told her what was wrong and she took him in to examine him. I had to wait outside due to covid. I knew what was coming as I had a very bad feeling when I first saw him this morning. She came back out and said that his heart rate is through the roof, he's lost another 300g since 2nd November bringing him down to 3.2kg, she could feel a nodule on his liver and she tested his pee and found that it was just water so going in one end and straight out the other. He was very poorly and getting worse all the time so knowing that he has terminal kidney disease and that he was unlikely to come back from this I made the impossible decision to let him go. The last thing I wanted was to let him suffer just because I loved him so much so it was the right time to say goodbye. I had already given him a load of cuddles before we left home as I suspected this would be the outcome. I couldn't go into the vets to be with him due to covid but she said she could administer the sedative and bring him out to the carpark so I could hold him. That is no way to let him go so I said do it inside but please be gentle with him. I was already in pieces so I wouldn't have been any use to him anyway. She said she would stay with him and stroke him to the end. He is going to be cremated and I will have his ashes back in a little slate urn.

I always knew that this would eventually be the outcome but it doesn't make it any easier. My cats are my babies and I love them all very much but Garfield took things a step further. He was by far the most affectionate cat I have ever known and was always on my lap or on the bed with us. He would always rub his cheek against mine as if to give me a hug, he was just so adorable. People will say he's just a cat but I don't see it that way. My cats are like family to me and they are deeply in my heart, Garfield especially so because of the way he was so affectionate to me. I am going to miss him so very much and it's not going to be the same without him around. The house is so quiet. Jade is very quiet and sleeping on her sheepskin rug bed downstairs. Abby was out for a little while but came in and went around the house looking for him then went upstairs on our bed where Garfield normally is at this time and started crying softly so I went up and gave her a big cuddle and she cuddled into me with my arm around her and went to sleep. God, it hurts so much, I am heartbroken. Here is the newest photo I have of my gorgeous boy Garfield, may he be at rest.

XbmBx43.jpg

Pet Northerner
Don
This morning we lost our ever so brave boy Garfield. He had been in and out of the litter tray all night but couldn't manage a poo. I woke up at 04.30 to hear him moving the litter from one end of the tray to the other again but he still couldn't manage one. This is not unusual for him which is why he was put on Lactulose to try to make his poo's less solid and it was working up until now. I went and checked on him and he seemed ok apart from not managing to poo. I was going to phone the vets when they opened to see if they could prescribe something else to help him. At 06.50 he was badly sick and again a couple of minutes later. He then went back to the litter tray and again couldn't manage one. He got out of the litter tray and lay down on his side next to it with his back legs tucked up against him and his back end started to spasm. He was breathing heavily and his little heart was beating like mad so I phoned the vets out of hours service and they told me to get to the vets just up the road for 07.30. Got up there and told her what was wrong and she took him in to examine him. I had to wait outside due to covid. I knew what was coming as I had a very bad feeling when I first saw him this morning. She came back out and said that his heart rate is through the roof, he's lost another 300g since 2nd November bringing him down to 3.2kg, she could feel a nodule on his liver and she tested his pee and found that it was just water so going in one end and straight out the other. He was very poorly and getting worse all the time so knowing that he has terminal kidney disease and that he was unlikely to come back from this I made the impossible decision to let him go. The last thing I wanted was to let him suffer just because I loved him so much so it was the right time to say goodbye. I had already given him a load of cuddles before we left home as I suspected this would be the outcome. I couldn't go into the vets to be with him due to covid but she said she could administer the sedative and bring him out to the carpark so I could hold him. That is no way to let him go so I said do it inside but please be gentle with him. I was already in pieces so I wouldn't have been any use to him anyway. She said she would stay with him and stroke him to the end. He is going to be cremated and I will have his ashes back in a little slate urn.

I always knew that this would eventually be the outcome but it doesn't make it any easier. My cats are my babies and I love them all very much but Garfield took things a step further. He was by far the most affectionate cat I have ever known and was always on my lap or on the bed with us. He would always rub his cheek against mine as if to give me a hug, he was just so adorable. People will say he's just a cat but I don't see it that way. My cats are like family to me and they are deeply in my heart, Garfield especially so because of the way he was so affectionate to me. I am going to miss him so very much and it's not going to be the same without him around. The house is so quiet. Jade is very quiet and sleeping on her sheepskin rug bed downstairs. Abby was out for a little while but came in and went around the house looking for him then went upstairs on our bed where Garfield normally is at this time and started crying softly so I went up and gave her a big cuddle and she cuddled into me with my arm around her and went to sleep. God, it hurts so much, I am heartbroken. Here is the newest photo I have of my gorgeous boy Garfield, may he be at rest.

My sincerest condolances to you :(

Man of Honour

XbmBx43.jpg
I'm so sorry to hear that. It brought a little tear to my eye. Poor Garfield. But if it helps it sounds like you made the right decision.

Man of Honour
Thank you all for the kind words. Everytime I see his bed, his toys or anything else of his it starts me off again, 54 years old and crying like a girl!! I just miss him so much and while I am sure it will ease in the coming days and weeks it doesn't feel that way right now.

Does anybody have a cat who is on a vets diet for kidney disease? I have a load of Pro Plan and Animonda renal vets diet (various flavours of wet food pouches and trays) here if anybody wants them. I don't want anything for them, just send me your details and I will send them off to you. As long as they go to a needy kitty it's fine with me.

Soldato
Thank you all for the kind words. Everytime I see his bed, his toys or anything else of his it starts me off again, 54 years old and crying like a girl!! I just miss him so much and while I am sure it will ease in the coming days and weeks it doesn't feel that way right now.

Does anybody have a cat who is on a vets diet for kidney disease? I have a load of Pro Plan and Animonda renal vets diet (various flavours of wet food pouches and trays) here if anybody wants them. I don't want anything for them, just send me your details and I will send them off to you. As long as they go to a needy kitty it's fine with me.

Oh man, so so sorry to hear that. Garfield was a little cutie, I'm sure you gave him an amazing life!

Reminds me so much of my little girl, Cleo, she's 12 and have had her since she was a kitten, love of my life haha

She was recently diagnosed with very very early stage Kidney Disease, VET said with renal diet and plenty of water she will live a long and normal life as we caught it so early and her ultrasound came back perfect. Luckily it was just her raised creatinine that is of concern , she will have another blood test in 2 months after being on renal diet, fingers crossed!

edit - just saw your part about the renal food, I would glady take that buddy if it's still available and give you some cash for it. They would be well used and Cleo would massively appreciate it! I'm currently using the purina pro plan renal stuff and she loves it, was very difficult for her to accept anything. Also got her a drinking fountain which has worked wonders.

do2R53x.jpg

FvsfkNE.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Im so sorry to hear of your loss, that must have been terrible seeing him spasming. Letting him go was the kindest thing to do. I'll be genuinely surprised if your other cats aren't more clingy to you now. They'll sense you're hurting and hop all over you.

Man of Honour
Thank you all for your kind words, they are very much appreciated.

Sorry to hear that pastymuncher :(:(:(

Looks like he had quite a long and happy life, which is some comfort.

We only had him just over a year after we took him on when his previous owner abandoned him. If the bitch actually took him to the vets then they may have picked up on his kidney problems and been able to manage it but after I got her to sign him over to me we found out that he hadn't been to the vets since 2016!! We found out about his kidneys failing after he was very poorly in February and again in March. He has cost me a fortune in vets bills over the year but I don't care about the cost and would do it all over again. If you are interested in his story you can find all of the links to my posts about him in post #13554 further up this page.

Oh man, so so sorry to hear that. Garfield was a little cutie, I'm sure you gave him an amazing life!

Reminds me so much of my little girl, Cleo, she's 12 and have had her since she was a kitten, love of my life haha

She was recently diagnosed with very very early stage Kidney Disease, VET said with renal diet and plenty of water she will live a long and normal life as we caught it so early and her ultrasound came back perfect. Luckily it was just her raised creatinine that is of concern , she will have another blood test in 2 months after being on renal diet, fingers crossed!

edit - just saw your part about the renal food, I would glady take that buddy if it's still available and give you some cash for it. They would be well used and Cleo would massively appreciate it! I'm currently using the purina pro plan renal stuff and she loves it, was very difficult for her to accept anything. Also got her a drinking fountain which has worked wonders.

do2R53x.jpg

FvsfkNE.jpg

Cleo is a sweetie and looks to have a lovely fluffy coat. You are more than welcome to the food. There is a unopened box of Pro Plan chicken as well as about half a box each of the chicken and salmon. This stuff churned my stomach and Garfield would only eat it if it had been warmed up in the microwave for 25 seconds. The Animonda Integra Protect is in 4 flavours, chicken, pork, beef and turkey. Each box has 6x 100g apart from the beef and pork which has 5 of each remaining. I only got this lot last week so Garfield hasn't had much of it. Send me your address and I will get them packed up and sent to you. It's good to know that they will be go to another sweetie.

Im so sorry to hear of your loss, that must have been terrible seeing him spasming. Letting him go was the kindest thing to do. I'll be genuinely surprised if your other cats aren't more clingy to you now. They'll sense you're hurting and hop all over you.

Jade, my eldest has been strangely quiet and kept to herself today but of the pair of them she was most friendly with Garfield so I guess she misses him too. Abby on the other hand has hardly left my side all day. I had a nap this afternoon as I was all in having been awake since 04.30 and she cuddled up with me and both went to sleep.

Soldato
@pastymuncher Bless you buddy, the food will be put straight to use and help little cleo out that's for sure! I was literally about to order some more of the renal stuff for her. I've spent so much this year on vet bills and the poor thing had surgery earlier in the year to have a few teeth removed.

Will trust you now mate, thank you so much.

Soldato
So sorry for your loss pastymuncher :(

He sounds like he was a special little cat. Much like my George who's getting old now at 16. He's got his health issues now, on special food for Urinary problems and frusol for heart issues. So I'm not sure how much long we have with him. I'll be distraught the day he goes :(

Back
Top Bottom