Half-Life: Alyx

Associate
On what headset? On older headsets like the Vive or Rift CV1 then the low resolution would work in your favour. On more modern headsets it'd probably look quite blurry on that setup, as Alyx changes the render resolution depending on your hardware.

A Quest 2. I think my 1060 is managing lots of things but the 3GB is causing issues.

Associate
I’m running it on 3770k and 1650 super and yeah it can be a bit blurry. I’m so tempted to upgrade my PC but I was trying to and have successfully stepped away from PC gaming a few years back.

This is making me want to scratch that itch!

Soldato
There’s only one place in the UK to buy FE cards and it isn’t here... sadly I can’t give you any info on competitors as it’s against forum rules.

You would need to get a stock notification bot to alert you otherwise there is little hope. When you get a ping go to buy immediately.

Associate
There’s only one place in the UK to buy FE cards and it isn’t here... sadly I can’t give you any info on competitors as it’s against forum rules.

You would need to get a stock notification bot to alert you otherwise there is little hope. When you get a ping go to buy immediately.

I've just setup an alert, but tbh I'm not paying the inflated prices over the FE. Are the FE cards still coming regularly?

Associate
FE are all at msrp. I only have FE alert because I’m not interested in overpaying either!

I buckled, I managed to pick this up https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1c6-gi.html from a competitor for £600. I notice that they increased the price by £60 before releasing the stock they had though.

Will my CX600M PSU cope and will it fit in my old Antec 300 case. I can feel a new build starting.

Edit: Antec 300 lists 279.4mm for graphics card clearance. The card I've just bought is 286mm. Hmmmmmm

Last edited:
I buckled, I managed to pick this up https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1c6-gi.html from a competitor for £600. I notice that they increased the price by £60 before releasing the stock they had though.

Will my CX600M PSU cope and will it fit in my old Antec 300 case. I can feel a new build starting.

Edit: Antec 300 lists 279.4mm for graphics card clearance. The card I've just bought is 286mm. Hmmmmmm

I had that case and had to remove some drive bays to fit my card in. I ditched it recently for an NZXT. Much better.

Associate
Time to get the dremel out. :)

That's quite an old case now and how old is the power supply?

The power supply isn't that old, ~3 or 4 years old. The case has seen many builds over the years, a lack of front USB3 is annoying now though.

I think a new case could be justified. ANy recomendations? I'm looking at the NZXT H510.

Last edited:
Associate
The power supply isn't that old, ~3 or 4 years old. The case has seen many builds over the years, a lack of front USB3 is annoying now though.

I think a new case could be justified. ANy recomendations? I'm looking at the NZXT H510.
Corsair 4000D or Lian Li Lancool 215 are good ones, good airflow, good prices and recommended by reviewers.

Associate
Corsair 4000D or Lian Li Lancool 215 are good ones, good airflow, good prices and recommended by reviewers.

Went with the Corsair 4000D Airflow in black. The NZXT H510 was tempting, it's looks very nice and was £10 cheaper but the Corsair 4000D Airflow seems quite a bit better with temps.

Soldato
Finally got all the achievements on this last night. I did it while going through the game in story mode and reading all the developer commentaries.

Associate
Went with the Corsair 4000D Airflow in black. The NZXT H510 was tempting, it's looks very nice and was £10 cheaper but the Corsair 4000D Airflow seems quite a bit better with temps.
I think you made the right choice, either of these two cases are the ones I would be choosing if I was after a new case, which I might be, will see how my old case handles the new components when everything arrives.

Soldato
I had a big gap in playing this for no particular reason, but have just returned to it.

I just want to get this off my chest:

Whoever was responsible for the level design which saw a multiple floor building full of poison headcrabs crawling up and down the walls and such - I hate you. I hate you with a deep and abiding passion.

They scared the bejesus out of me back in Ravenholm in HL2. In VR they're bloody horrifying.

If I get further in the game and find out they've got one of those zombies that carries a load of them around, I might have to uninstall.

Associate
Just finished this today on my original Vive. Was waiting for the Index Controllers to arrive before playing through it.
Brilliant game. So many memories. Especially the ending! Hope they carry on with it because, if not, that after credits scene is a massive tease!!

Now to play it through again with the commentary and the gnome achievement...

Back
Top Bottom