LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
Split hdmi into 2, run one to the telly, other to the amp? Tell player to decode the audio and send 5.1 pcm?

I have no player. Just using the TV apps.

Use an Android streamer eg Nvidia Shield, Chromecast device, Fire TV stick etc. Connect it to your AV Amp which will play the DTS soundtrack and then send only the picture to the TV

Thanks for the suggestions, but, as I said in my post, I know there are ways around it. I am just annoyed that I have to. My intention was to get a TV, put it on a wall and have no devices attached apart from the AV receiver. Just use the TV media Apps and Plex. I was going to either upgrade the Receiver or buy one of those HDMI devices that add an eArc port to an older receiver.

But, I had done all my research on the LG C9 and the only real research I had done on the CX was how much better it was with HDMI 2.1. I said I might as well buy the latest and greatest. Not realising until I had it at home and wall mounted that It didn't support DTS at all.

First world problems :)

Soldato
I got my 55" CX yesterday. There's so many settings and I've tried to follow some guides, but I still don't really understand what most of it does.

Xbox Series X looks amazing, took a while to get it set up right but it's genuinely stunning. Annoyingly Forza Horizon 4 won't work in HDR, no idea why.

Mixed feelings about everything else at the moment. 4K or proper HD content is amazing, but anything else of lower quality I'm finding the massive screen only helps to show off imperfections/lower quality.

Netflix through the TV is also massively disappointing. We don't pay extra for the 4K sub yet, and the TV is connected via WiFi so that might explain why it wasn't that impressive. Maybe my expectations are too high. I checked the information as I streamed something and the TV showed 0.70mbs and then it had 540 after it, does that mean it was streaming at 540p?

Amazon Prime on the other hand the streaming quality has been really good and most of what I've tested has been great.

How do you get Prime to play in UHD? Anything I select labelled as UHD just offers the HD version. It had worked briefly when I started watching the Expanse, now I can't get any UHD content on Prime. Netflix on the other hand appears to be fine.

Soldato
Presumably your network isn't up to it? Netflix looks pretty awesome in 4k, you really should upgrade your sub, one of the biggest sources of UHD.

Amazon Prime has been fine in UHD as well, although they make it such a pain in the butt to find it.

Associate
Presumably your network isn't up to it? Netflix looks pretty awesome in 4k, you really should upgrade your sub, one of the biggest sources of UHD.

Amazon Prime has been fine in UHD as well, although they make it such a pain in the butt to find it.

Out of interest, how do you find UHD content on Prime other than magically knowing which content is available in UHD ?

Soldato

Network isn't the issue - I'm on VM 350. None of the devices I use will show UHD through Prime inc. the PC wired to router which speedtests at 350mbps. It has worked in the past and Netflix streams in UHD, but it seems Prime wont let me. I did a support chat and got some "it's down to Covid init and we are prioritising those at risk" BS.

Soldato

Yep I stream with UHD and HDR mode in 4k and it's great on Prime BUT yeah, there should just be a 4k section but if there is I can't find it... wish NETFLIX and AMAZON would just put a 4k category just for simplicity so you know you're clicking on the right one... NETFLIX is a lot easier tbh

Associate
What do you guys think about viewing distance? I've noticed that the 55" BX can currently be had for a little over 1K, and would pair nicely with my Xbox (my main use for the TV).

I have a 'U' shaped desk, with room to the right of me for a 55" screen. My viewing distance would be 1.2 m, which I can't help but think is too little for a screen of that size.

However, according to Rtings, 1.2 m is in the 'Ultra HD worth it' category for a 55" 4K screen. (Scroll down in: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship)

Also, the Sony website indicates that 1 m is fine for a 55" 4K screen (https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00008601). That said, I'm less inclined to go by what Sony says, as they have an interest in selling me a huge telly.

Other sources state 6 or 7 feet, but I'm not sure they are taking the 4K into account.

Would be interested to know what you folks think. I think I'd probably prefer the 48" CX, but the extra £400 is a bitter pill.

Ginga

Soldato
What do you guys think about viewing distance? I've noticed that the 55" BX can currently be had for a little over 1K, and would pair nicely with my Xbox (my main use for the TV).

I have a 'U' shaped desk, with room to the right of me for a 55" screen. My viewing distance would be 1.2 m, which I can't help but think is too little for a screen of that size.

However, according to Rtings, 1.2 m is in the 'Ultra HD worth it' category for a 55" 4K screen. (Scroll down in: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship)

Also, the Sony website indicates that 1 m is fine for a 55" 4K screen (https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00008601). That said, I'm less inclined to go by what Sony says, as they have an interest in selling me a huge telly.

Other sources state 6 or 7 feet, but I'm not sure they are taking the 4K into account.

Would be interested to know what you folks think. I think I'd probably prefer the 48" CX, but the extra £400 is a bitter pill.

Ginga
Not sure I'd like a viewing distance that small, but my mind can't take being close to things... I find it over powering and not enjoyable, if anything my viewing distances are further away... we're all different, really does come down to yourself... but 1.2m isn't a lot...

Soldato
Out of interest, how do you find UHD content on Prime other than magically knowing which content is available in UHD ?
That’s what’s terrible about it. You have to check to see if the tiny symbol is in the corner or use the search function. God knows why they can’t just give you the choice at the point of starting it or just doing what Netflix does and automatically doing it.
I tried to watch Hunters the other day and could only find the the normal version even with the search until I scrolled around for 5 minutes. It was just nowhere to be found.

Soldato
I ordered my OLED from Very, it has a properly dead pixel in the middle of the screen, do you think I could get some money back due to this?
replacement 100% no way would I have that! It's a brand new screen! And I wouldn't expect a fix either i'd be no thanks, I'll package up and when you deliver my new one you can have this back

Associate
Not sure I'd like a viewing distance that small, but my mind can't take being close to things... I find it over powering and not enjoyable, if anything my viewing distances are further away... we're all different, really does come down to yourself... but 1.2m isn't a lot...

Thanks. I'm inclined to agree really. Might get accused of over-compensating with a massive 55" TV in this tiny office! Probably better to save up a bit more and get the 48" CX (or the next version).

Soldato
That’s what’s terrible about it. You have to check to see if the tiny symbol is in the corner or use the search function. God knows why they can’t just give you the choice at the point of starting it or just doing what Netflix does and automatically doing it.
I tried to watch Hunters the other day and could only find the the normal version even with the search until I scrolled around for 5 minutes. It was just nowhere to be found.

The Prime app on the TV won't play UHD content for me - I select content marked as UHD, then the UHD symbol isn't shown in the content info screen and it only plays in HD. It was working a week or so ago though as I watched 1917 and it was glorious!

Last edited:

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I'm having problems getting my sound to pass through sound to my denon amp, I've followed guides and youtube vids trying to get it to work. It amywell just need a better hdmi cable to can someone recommend a high speed cable.

Soldato
The Prime app on the TV won't play UHD content for me - I select content marked as UHD, then the UHD symbol isn't shown in the content info screen and it only plays in HD. It was working a week or so ago though as I watched 1917 and it was glorious!

I've just spotted that the Prime app updated a few days ago... can somebody confirm that they able to view UHD content through the installed app and what version of the app they have on the TV?

Thanks

Associate
I've just spotted that the Prime app updated a few days ago... can somebody confirm that they able to view UHD content through the installed app and what version of the app they have on the TV?

Thanks

Not sure what version it is but I did install an update a few days ago. I can play UHD content in HDR on mine.

Back
Top Bottom