*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Star Wars squadrons is one of a few games where they're not simply mirroring one of your VR lens views which doesn't require much rendering overhead, they're rendering a different viewport which greatly adds to the rendering overhead.

So setting all the non-vr detail levels and resolution to low actually makes a performance difference.

Soldato
I don’t know the answer but Iv noticed the same with Star Wars squadrons frame rate tanking despite my 2080ti sitting at around 40% utilisation and fans not even kicking in.Maybe an optimisation patch is needed for some of these games.
Guess I'll just have to max out the supersampling then!

Is there a way to check the bitrate Link is streaming to the headset at, or is that behind the scenes stuff? My cable comes up as 2Gbit in the oculus app so wanna make sure I'm getting the best of it.

Soldato
Not sure what thread to post this in, but Pistol Whip got an update today. It got the whole Pistol Whip 2089 campaign.

That's an amazing job from the Developers!! I thought it would be a whole new game but you get it free if you have Pistol Whip already.

A great game got even better, well worth the price of admission now.

Soldato
A bit of an impulse purchase but I fancy upgrading my CV1 to a Quest 2 for pcvr, what will I have to get?

Oculus Cable to connect to pc, official or non official?
Headstrap, which one?
Is an upgrade to the sound recommended?

Anything else I need to look at? I am also guessing that 64gb should be fine for for my use?

Soldato
A bit of an impulse purchase but I fancy upgrading my CV1 to a Quest 2 for pcvr, what will I have to get?

Oculus Cable to connect to pc, official or non official?
Headstrap, which one?
Is an upgrade to the sound recommended?

Anything else I need to look at? I am also guessing that 64gb should be fine for for my use?

I did the same. It's a nice upgrade from the CV1 in terms of screen door effect. I personally find the default strap okay for 30 min sessions, but anything longer than that and it's actually painful on your forehead. I'm definitely going to upgrade that, as it's my only bugbear.

Being able to just walk into my bedroom and have it recognise it and remember my guardian settings is rad, and having the extra space compared to where my desk is is awesome. Well worth it for roomscale stuff on Quest store.

Soldato
I did the same. It's a nice upgrade from the CV1 in terms of screen door effect. I personally find the default strap okay for 30 min sessions, but anything longer than that and it's actually painful on your forehead. I'm definitely going to upgrade that, as it's my only bugbear.

Being able to just walk into my bedroom and have it recognise it and remember my guardian settings is rad, and having the extra space compared to where my desk is is awesome. Well worth it for roomscale stuff on Quest store.

Thanks Devril, I have seen a few videos mention the strap being not that great so ordered an elite strap along with the Q2. Just trying to work out the best cable to buy 4-5m, £90 for the official one seems high but willing to get it if it means zero hassle.

Permabanned
Tried Project cars 2 in VR (£4.50 or something during the sale) and while it was amazing it made me feel sick after half a lap. :p The first kind of fast motion game I have tried, need to build up to this one.

Soldato
Tried Project cars 2 in VR (£4.50 or something during the sale) and while it was amazing it made me feel sick after half a lap. :p The first kind of fast motion game I have tried, need to build up to this one.

haha this was the second game I played in VR (may have been PCars1) and yeah it will mess you up if you haven't got your VR legs yet. I had to lie down for 30 mins after like a single minute of the nurburgring in an open wheeler. After a couple months of playing other VR games that weren't quite so hard on my brain (eg Onward) I went back to it and suddenly I was immune. It is definitely awesome racing in VR. When you're ready to give it another go, start with the slow cars and do some nice slow laps before going nuts in the F1 cars.

Having returned to VR after a year's hiatus I have lost my VR legs, so I'm in the same boat and am easing myself in with some elite dangerous, which is fairly gentle while still training your brain to ignore your eyes and listen to your ears.

Permabanned
haha this was the second game I played in VR (may have been PCars1) and yeah it will mess you up if you haven't got your VR legs yet. I had to lie down for 30 mins after like a single minute of the nurburgring in an open wheeler. After a couple months of playing other VR games that weren't quite so hard on my brain (eg Onward) I went back to it and suddenly I was immune. It is definitely awesome racing in VR. When you're ready to give it another go, start with the slow cars and do some nice slow laps before going nuts in the F1 cars.

Having returned to VR after a year's hiatus I have lost my VR legs, so I'm in the same boat and am easing myself in with some elite dangerous, which is fairly gentle while still training your brain to ignore your eyes and listen to your ears.

Have played a fair few VR games before this so thought I was fine. Beat saber, Robo recall, walking dead etc......Wrong! They are all the kind of stationary games so it doesnt hit you. :D

Associate
Returning my G2 and have ordered a Q2 which I reckon will be available to collect today. What do I need to know? I'm only planning on using it via the link cable and stand alone. I have an Oculus account, and I have linked it with Facebook. Oculus software is installed on my PC. Need to uninstall Revive and WMR software. Do I need to do anything special to be able to hook it up to Steam VR too? Do I need any beta software or is the current release from Oculus all I need for a good link experience? Any recommended settings for the 2070 Super powering it or is it all automagic? Thanks!

Soldato
Returning my G2 and have ordered a Q2 which I reckon will be available to collect today. What do I need to know? I'm only planning on using it via the link cable and stand alone. I have an Oculus account, and I have linked it with Facebook. Oculus software is installed on my PC. Need to uninstall Revive and WMR software. Do I need to do anything special to be able to hook it up to Steam VR too? Do I need any beta software or is the current release from Oculus all I need for a good link experience? Any recommended settings for the 2070 Super powering it or is it all automagic? Thanks!

You'll have to use the Oculus app on your phone to setup the Quest and get it updating before you can use it. Hopefully it'll update straight away to the latest version, which is V23, which has all the new Oculus link functionality. It's a good idea to opt into client betas in the Oculus client as that way you get access to the latest features.

You also need to turn on the 'allow unknown sources' option in the Oculus desktop client to use Steam VR. Other than that when Link is turned on then Steam VR should automatically detect it.

When connected to your Quest via the link cable the Oculus software will have several performance options you can tweak. The default might look blurry, so you will probably need to tweak them to get the best performance and quality.

Underboss

did you return the G2 because its tethered ?

Could be you are not getting enough FPS. What is your hardware?

Back
Top Bottom